It's that question again...

mountaincookie
mountaincookie Posts: 292
edited July 2011 in Commuting general
Insurance. It's that little question that keeps popping up.

I'm finally getting round to insuring my bike, I havn't used it as it has no insurance (you only make that mistake once....£500 gone....ouch ). My bikes worth £500 plus around £100 upgrades. I don't want to insure on my house insurance as I'm a student and move alot :evil:
I'm going for public liablity too, what specific companys would you advise/not advise

I also want to insure my wife's bike (£250) - same policy or seperate?

Cheers

(p.s. - I know theres hundreds of posts on insurance...but alot of them suggest home insurance...)

Comments

• The Rookie
    The Rookie Posts: 27,812
    M&S house insurance covers all contents away from home (inc bikes) and if your a student that includes when your in student accom.

Simon
    Currently riding a Whyte T130C, X0 drivetrain, Magura Trail brakes converted to mixed wheel size (homebuilt wheels) with 140mm Fox 34 Rhythm and RP23 suspension. 12.2Kg.
  • Is there a limit to value of bikes in M&S policy? The value of my bikes is probably about £6k, and when I've looked to insure them the annual policy has been close to 10% of this.

I have taken the view that I take more care than post (park / store them somewhere safe and use good locks) therefore are less likely than average to have them nicked. At a pinch I could afford to replace so have effectively chosen to self-insure.

I have not had an incident where I would have made a claim in the past 10 years (touch wood) but would insure if I could do so for a fair price.
    Nobody told me we had a communication problem
  • jeremyrundle
    jeremyrundle Posts: 1,014
    If you know it has been asked before you must know there are many replies, try a search

CTC :!:
    Peds with ipods, natures little speed humps

Banish unwanted fur - immac a squirrel
    http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article ... heads.html
  • raymondo60
    raymondo60 Posts: 735
    I'm a member of CTC - costs a few pounds a year - and they automatically insure you AND your bike(s) depending on values etc. However, it certainly is worth checking out.
    Raymondo

"Let's just all be really careful out there folks!"
  • Headhuunter
    Headhuunter Posts: 6,494
    Is there a limit to value of bikes in M&S policy? The value of my bikes is probably about £6k, and when I've looked to insure them the annual policy has been close to 10% of this.

I have taken the view that I take more care than post (park / store them somewhere safe and use good locks) therefore are less likely than average to have them nicked. At a pinch I could afford to replace so have effectively chosen to self-insure.

I have not had an incident where I would have made a claim in the past 10 years (touch wood) but would insure if I could do so for a fair price.

M&S will allow you to insure and unnamed item (could be a bike) for up to £4k, so I assume unless 1 of your fleet is worth £4k+ on its own, you would be covered...
    Do not write below this line. Office use only.
  • rolf_f
    rolf_f Posts: 16,015
    M&S will allow you to insure and unnamed item (could be a bike) for up to £4k, so I assume unless 1 of your fleet is worth £4k+ on its own, you would be covered...

Not strictly correct irrc - they insure up to 4k without requiring you to notify them of specific items. If your bike is worth more than 4k I believe you can just notify them. Doesnt necessarily cost any more either!
    Faster than a tent.......
  • The Rookie
    The Rookie Posts: 27,812
    Raymondo60 wrote:
    I'm a member of CTC - costs a few pounds a year - and they automatically insure you AND your bike(s) depending on values etc. However, it certainly is worth checking out.
    CTC automatic insurance is for third party liability, your own bike is not covered at all!

Simon
    Currently riding a Whyte T130C, X0 drivetrain, Magura Trail brakes converted to mixed wheel size (homebuilt wheels) with 140mm Fox 34 Rhythm and RP23 suspension. 12.2Kg.
  • Headhuunter
    Headhuunter Posts: 6,494
    Raymondo60 wrote:
    CTC automatic insurance is for third party liability, your own bike is not covered at all!

Simon

Yup, I've got M&S household cover for my bike and British Cycling insurance to cover 3rd parties... 2 separate insurances, although to be honest I'm not sure if M&S household covers you for 3rd party cycling damage anyway...
    Do not write below this line. Office use only.
  • Thanks for the replys, very helpful. M and S seem to come up a lot!