Conspiracy theory - Evans/Hushovd deal?

Niffleman
Niffleman Posts: 87
edited July 2011 in Pro race
I know this is porbably a conspiracy theory too far but Hushovd lasted a lot longer in yellow than anyone expected, with Evans only one second behind. Is it possible that the two have made a deal? Evans allowed Hushovd to stay in yellow for a bit longer, and in return Hushovd and his team will help Evans in the mountains.

What does anyone think?

Comments

• TheStone
    TheStone Posts: 2,291
    Possible, but more likely that Evans held back a bit as he could have pushed himself into the red and set-up the GC rivals to take some time off him.

Also had a lot of contenders just a couple of secs back, so had to be defensive too.
    exercise.png
  • iainf72
    iainf72 Posts: 15,784
    No. It would've made no sense for Evans to take yellow so early.

BMC rode a bit to help keep Thor in yellow when it made sense.
    Fckin' Quintana … that creep can roll, man.
  • plowmar
    plowmar Posts: 1,032
    + 1
  • rebs
    rebs Posts: 891
    Think it's more that the GC guys have not had a stage where they can really go on the attack combined with Thor realyl digging in to keep Yellow for as long as possible.

Likely that Thor has realyl killed himself for the rest of the tour so maybe thankful he only has to do leadouts for the rest. Even then likely he could not be bothered to do as Farrar has his stage win with very little chance to grab the Green.
  • Tom Butcher
    Tom Butcher Posts: 3,830
    Don't think there was any deal - Evans did go for it on one finish and nearly got a small gap on Hushovd a couple of days ago so if there was a deal he wasn't sticking to it.

it's a hard life if you don't weaken.
  • Gazzaputt
    Gazzaputt Posts: 3,227
    Slightly off topic but i have noticed Thor riding a lot with Leopard. Anything in it or just good friends?
  • rick_chasey
    rick_chasey Posts: 75,661
    Gazzaputt wrote:
    Slightly off topic but i have noticed Thor riding a lot with Leopard. Anything in it or just good friends?

I think he was having some 'frank' (pun intended) discussions with "shut it down, shut it down now!" patron, Cancellara, who seemed happy to chill out and give up Hushovd's yellow jersey to a gurning frenchman. rather than anything more revealing.
  • sonny73
    sonny73 Posts: 2,203
    Gazzaputt wrote:

I think he was having some 'frank' (pun intended) discussions with "shut it down, shut it down now!" patron, Cancellara, who seemed happy to chill out and give up Hushovd's yellow jersey to a gurning frenchman. rather than anything more revealing.
    I thought the same, Hushovd was having none of it though after last years Stage 3 was it, when Thor was none to pleased with Cancellara running that go slow.
  • mididoctors
    mididoctors Posts: 18,795
    iainf72 wrote:
    No. It would've made no sense for Evans to take yellow so early.

BMC rode a bit to help keep Thor in yellow when it made sense.

hard for evans to control the final km though
    "If I was a 38 year old man, I definitely wouldn't be riding a bright yellow bike with Hello Kitty disc wheels, put it that way. What we're witnessing here is the world's most high profile mid-life crisis" Afx237vi Mon Jul 20, 2009 2:43 pm
  • shinyhelmut
    shinyhelmut Posts: 1,364
    Thor in yellow = 18 riders controlling the peloton.

Cadel in yellow = 9 riders controlling the peloton.

BMC get to keep their powder dry while another team have the jersey. No conspiracy theory just pragmatic racing.