Sram chain on Shimano?

evernas
evernas Posts: 43
edited July 2011 in MTB workshop & tech
Hi there.I have to replace my old Shimano Deore chain with new one.LBS offered to me to put Sram on my bike. My rear mech is Shimano SLX,front one also,Shimano Deore cassette and crank set is Race Face .So would there be any problem with Sram chain or i do have to put Shimano?
Thank you
Note; The Term "Mountain Bike" Is Incorrectly Used By Marketing People To Sell More Bikes To The General Public.

Comments

• m_cozzy
    m_cozzy Posts: 132
    It will be fine. I used my 1st sram chain at the weekend and am dead impressed with the powerlink!
    Banned from singletrack forum again :-)
  • stubs
    stubs Posts: 5,001
    As long as it is the correct speed chain ie 8spd, 9spd, 10spd any brand will fit.
    Fig rolls: proof that god loves cyclists and that she wants us to do another lap
  • BG2000
    BG2000 Posts: 517
    You're actually better off with an SRAM chain, than a Shimano. It's all down to the power link, i.e. you never use a chain splitter tool to join a chain. If you do, that's where your chain will snap.
  • cooldad
    cooldad Posts: 32,599
    Or get a KMC chain, which is better and comes with a powerlink.
    I don't do smileys.

There is no secret ingredient - Kung Fu Panda

London Calling on Facebook

Parktools
  • stubs
    stubs Posts: 5,001
    Or use a SRAM or KMC link on a Shimano chain they are all the same and probably come from the same factory
    Fig rolls: proof that god loves cyclists and that she wants us to do another lap
  • evernas
    evernas Posts: 43
    You're actually better off with an SRAM chain, than a Shimano. It's all down to the power link, i.e. you never use a chain splitter tool to join a chain. If you do, that's where your chain will snap.

Fu...ng right.That is what a did.After a two miles it did snap.You are right.I will bet on power link next time.Thank you
    Note; The Term "Mountain Bike" Is Incorrectly Used By Marketing People To Sell More Bikes To The General Public.
  • paul20v
    paul20v Posts: 267
    BG2000 wrote:
    Only if you dont do it right ive never fitted a shimano chain and had it snap were it was joined .
  • supersonic
    supersonic Posts: 82,708
    Shimano chains need the ampule pin to join them with a tool.
  • jonnym5
    jonnym5 Posts: 76
    I've never had a shimano chain snap where I've used the pin that comes with it!

Infact I've only ever snapped a PC970 chain and I've been running HG53s recently. I'm gonna fit a PC951 on my old PG990 cassette and see how I get on.
  • njee20
    njee20 Posts: 9,613
    You're actually better off with an SRAM chain, than a Shimano. It's all down to the power link, i.e. you never use a chain splitter tool to join a chain. If you do, that's where your chain will snap

What tosh! Ive broken more Power Links than normal ones, and I've never broken a joining pin on a Shimano chain. Power Links are convenient, but not as strong IMO.
  • t0pc4t
    t0pc4t Posts: 947
    I always use SRAM for the powerlink on my shimano gears
    Whether you're a king or a little street sweeper, sooner or later you'll dance with the reaper.

Cube Curve 2009
    Giant Anthem X4

FCN=6
  • Time.to.ride
    Time.to.ride Posts: 463
    Shimano chains are crap SRAM chains are so much better due to the power link its so much easier to fit and more durable
  • estampida
    estampida Posts: 1,008
    I have only snapped shimano chains, sram are good, never snapped yet

taya and others exotics work very well but they can be a lottery at times
  • paulbox
    paulbox Posts: 1,203
    You can use a SRAM powerlink with a Shimano chain...
    XC: Giant Anthem X
    Fun: Yeti SB66
    Road: Litespeed C1, Cannondale Supersix Evo, Cervelo R5
    Trainer: Bianchi via Nirone
    Hack: GT hardtail with Schwalbe City Jets