Chain running along teeth in biggest chain ring

NickPsy
NickPsy Posts: 14
edited July 2011 in MTB workshop & tech
pretty much finished building my first bike however when setting up the front derailleur I came across a problem when the chain moves up onto the biggest ring its fine but then after pedalling a little more the chain rides on the left side as if it wants to move back down but isnt quite able to. Also if its not doing that it seems to slant to the side. As in if the chain runs flat such as - it sometimes goes like / on a slant. Thats the best I can describe it :)

is it simply a case of messing with the tension and h/l screw until its sorted or something else ?

Comments

• Anonymous
    Anonymous Posts: 79,667
    Is the chain and chainring new, or second hand?
    Is the front mech touching the chain when it's in gear?
  • nicklouse
    nicklouse Posts: 50,675
    what gear combo does it happen in?

what is your chainline measurement?
    "Do not follow where the path may lead, Go instead where there is no path, and Leave a Trail."
    Parktools :?:SheldonBrown
  • NickPsy
    both the chain and chain ring are from my old bike - i should have said its my first build not first bike ever.

no the mech isnt touching the chain and it seems to happen in all gears on the back when trying to get up to the biggest front chainring
  • Anonymous
    So does it happen when shifting, or after shifting?

Sounds like it might be a chainring/chain mismatch, as though one has worn more than the other.
  • NickPsy
    it will shift onto the chainring fine but then after a few pedals it flicks up so its not sat properly as if it wants to move back down to second but cant get there
  • Anonymous
    then I stick with my guess/diagnosis of worn chain and/or chainring
  • The Rookie
    The Rookie Posts: 27,812
    +1, sounds like the chain rolling up the worn teeth on the ring.....

New chainring times!

Simon
    Currently riding a Whyte T130C, X0 drivetrain, Magura Trail brakes converted to mixed wheel size (homebuilt wheels) with 140mm Fox 34 Rhythm and RP23 suspension. 12.2Kg.