Renshaw tweet

MaxwellBygraves
MaxwellBygraves Posts: 1,353
edited July 2011 in Pro race
Noticed Mark Renshaw recently tweeted - "Glad to have that day behind us. These medium mountain days are the worst for us non climbers."

Don't get it. Surely the High Mountains are worst for non climbers? Enlighten me...
"That's it! You people have stood in my way long enough. I'm going to clown college! " - Homer

Comments

• TMR
    TMR Posts: 3,986
    So he didn't construct his sentence properly. Who cares?
  • ddraver
    ddraver Posts: 26,662
    Shorter climbs are usually faster, descents are shorter so they can't catch up so quickly....things like that?!
    We're in danger of confusing passion with incompetence
    - @ddraver
  • RichN95.
    RichN95. Posts: 27,241
    Noticed Mark Renshaw recently tweeted - "Glad to have that day behind us. These medium mountain days are the worst for us non climbers."

Don't get it. Surely the High Mountains are worst for non climbers? Enlighten me...

They don't get the long descents, so less recovery time before the next climb. Also the sprinters tend to be really good descenders, so they can catch up a lot of time.
    Twitter: @RichN95
  • MaxwellBygraves
    MaxwellBygraves Posts: 1,353
    So he didn't construct his sentence properly. Who cares?

Sorry I wasn't being pedantic, I took it quite literally - just wondered why shorter climbs were worse than longer climbs.

Rich, that makes sense. Thanks :)
    "That's it! You people have stood in my way long enough. I'm going to clown college! " - Homer
  • rick_chasey
    rick_chasey Posts: 75,661
    Doesn't help his teammate either, when his jersey rival can finish ahead of the bunch at the finish at will on stages like this :wink:
  • Gingerflash
    Gingerflash Posts: 239
    In the high mountains, so many riders miss the cut-off that they're often allowed to continue. In the medium mountains, I suppose the risk of a small handful missing it is that much greater.
  • rick_chasey
    rick_chasey Posts: 75,661
    edited July 2011
    The amount of climbing in terms of cumulative height gained is often similar, but the cut-off is much, much tighter. That's the issue.
  • Gingerflash
    Gingerflash Posts: 239
    I remember Cav saying that the only riders who worry/scare him are the pure climbers who can really make him suffer in the mountains, to beat the cut-off.
  • jibberjim
    jibberjim Posts: 2,810
    The time limit is also greater on a full mountain compared to a medium mountain stage, so they have to be closer to the front. A medium mountain stage where the front guys ride it really fast will really hurt them - particularly if there's an early steep hill to remove the draft straight away.
    Jibbering Sports Stuff: http://jibbering.com/sports/