Oakley - SplitJacket vs JawBone

Secteur
Secteur Posts: 1,971
edited July 2011 in Road buying advice
Other than slightly different styling (barely noticeable) and the fact that all the pro's wear Jawbones rather than SplitJackets (in terms of those with ones that allow lens changes), what's the difference?

Seems to me that there's barely none...

The SplitJacket I want is ££ cheaper, and has exactly the lens combination I want without having to pay more.

Can you buy individual lenses for the SplitJacket at a later point?

Am I missing anything?

Cheers.

Comments

• TMR
    TMR Posts: 3,986
    The fit is different.

I've tried both, the Jawbones fit perfectly, the Split Jackets didn't.

Any decent shop will let you try them both.

/thread
  • trooperk
    trooperk Posts: 189
    I've tried both, the Jawbones fit perfectly, the Split Jackets didn't.

/thread
    For your face that is! may be not his.
    Specialized-The clitoris of bikes.
  • Secteur
    Yes, as I said in my OP - "other than slightly different styling" i.e. fit - I have tried both on and both fit me well.

What I was getting at really, is the SplitJacket a very old model or is there some other quality difference, as there is a huge price difference (>£100) for comparable colour models which I dont think fit alone should/could explain.

i.e. I can see absolutely no reason to buy JB over SJ, and hence me wondering if I am missing something?

Cheers.
  • neeb
    neeb Posts: 4,470
    Yep, they're effectively the same shades with a different fit, and it's not as simple as one being larger and the other smaller - I usually suit smaller glasses, but for some reason the jawbones fit me perfectly while the (smaller?) split jackets feel wrong and look weird. Try 'em on. Incidentally, I've seen some pros wearing the split jackets too.
  • neeb
    Secteur wrote:
    , is the SplitJacket a very old model
    No, it's actually more recent. No idea why it's cheaper! There will be some subtle marketing strategy behind it no doubt, after all it only costs Oakley a few pence to manufacture the things. You're paying for the design and the marketing (nothing necessarily wrong with that of course, you get a well designed product with cool value created by the marketing).
  • greasedscotsman
    greasedscotsman Posts: 6,962
    But are you actually going to buy them?

:D
  • Secteur

This time - yes!

It's a birthday present from my missus, after I saw them on holiday and loved them (but also realised that they are cheaper on-line in the UK than in Spain!)

I just want to make sure I get the best ones for me, and as both fit well, I'd happily pay extra for the JawBones if there was good enough reason to do so, but is seems not...
  • greasedscotsman
    greasedscotsman Posts: 6,962
    Secteur wrote:

This time - yes!

It's a birthday present from my missus, after I saw them on holiday and loved them (but also realised that they are cheaper on-line in the UK than in Spain!)

I just want to make sure I get the best ones for me, and as both fit well, I'd happily pay extra for the JawBones if there was good enough reason to do so, but is seems not...

Cool, what lens/colour combo are you going to get?

Don't think there is any real difference, other than the styling as has already been mentioned. It's like Radars start at around £145 (from the Oakley website) whereas M Frames start at £105. There is very little between them in terms of function, it's just styling and fit. Think it’s the same with the Jawbones and Split Jackets.
  • neeb
    One reason that the Jawbones are marketed more for cycling and seen more in the peloton might be that they have wider lenses top-to-bottom, so possibly less issues with obstruction from the frame when looking down/behind? But that's just speculation and again, it will depend on the shape of your face etc.
  • gsk82
    gsk82 Posts: 3,530
    i got a pair of split jackets a few weeks ago in black with a the bottom being blue (pretty similar to what sky wear). the jawbones look huge on my face but the split jackets are spot on.

the only way to decide if you're buying online is to buy both and send one back. i'd ask the retailer if they'll refund postage for the ones you return before you order.
    "Unfortunately these days a lot of people don’t understand the real quality of a bike" Ernesto Colnago
  • Secteur

Cool, what lens/colour combo are you going to get?

These off the peg ones;

oakley-jawbone-polished-white-violet-iridium-vented-light-grey-vented-24-273_250_200_p1.jpg
  • gsk82
    gsk82 Posts: 3,530
    "Unfortunately these days a lot of people don’t understand the real quality of a bike" Ernesto Colnago