Which Mountain bike for me?

bokkie
bokkie Posts: 18
edited July 2011 in MTB beginners
Hi all. I haven't really ridden a bike since I had a BMX back in the 80's but would like to get into Biking with my 5 year old boy. I'll also be taking my 2 year old on a child seat or trailer but am a bit confused as to what I need.
Firstly, I'll be getting a second hand one as I don't really want to spend more than about £100 for Biking round Alice Holt Forest once every 2-3 weeks.
Should I get Front, Rear or Full suspension, or is a rigid bike better for this purpose. Can anyone recommend a make?
I am 6 foot, so would a 19 inch frame be best?
I've done a few searches but just got more confused.
Thanks for any help you can offer

Comments

• Anonymous
    Anonymous Posts: 79,667
    For that price, a rigid would be better really. Far too many compromises are made in suspension at that price, to be of any use at all. Also, a rigid bike will be substantially lighter.
  • cooldad
    cooldad Posts: 32,599
    Frame sizes differ between manufacturers so best to sit on it first.
    I don't do smileys.

There is no secret ingredient - Kung Fu Panda

London Calling on Facebook

Parktools
  • bokkie
    Thanks for quick response. I'm also guessing rigid would be better for a child seat? Any advice on makes and models?
  • supersonic
    supersonic Posts: 82,708
    Have a look at the Decathlon Rockrider 5.0 or 5.1 - these are good bikes for the money, and the child seat should fit fine.
  • mtb crazy
    mtb crazy Posts: 245
    if youre 6 foot, 19 inch frame would probably be too small, im 5 foot 9 and have a 20 inch frame which is just right for me, but sounds like you would benefit from a bigger size.
  • cooldad
    cooldad Posts: 32,599
    Are you sure - doesn't look that big to me, unless they measure funny.
    My Kona 17" and I'm 5'10" and my Marin is 19" and actually too big for me.
    Sit on it - only way to be sure.
    I don't do smileys.

There is no secret ingredient - Kung Fu Panda

London Calling on Facebook

Parktools
  • supersonic
    supersonic Posts: 82,708
    mtb crazy wrote:
    if youre 6 foot, 19 inch frame would probably be too small, im 5 foot 9 and have a 20 inch frame which is just right for me, but sounds like you would benefit from a bigger size.

This is poor advice - have a read of our What Size thread for the reasons why.

Now the rider may prefer a 19 or bigger in a particular brand. But they vary so much, a 16 in another brand may do.

FYI my three bikes are 17, 18 and 20.5, and I have just tested a 16.5 and 19.5. All fit me well.
  • bokkie
    Now if I could just find a shop near me that stocks the decathlon rockrider to try it out, I'd be happy. All the shops round farnham, guildford, etc seem way overpriced.
  • tom_howard
    tom_howard Posts: 789
    Define overpriced? Without wanting to sound patronising, £100 is F'all to spend on a new MTB these days, esp if you look in an independent bike shop. have a look in Halfords or decathon for a rigid mtb that isnt made of pig iron. Dont be seduced by disk brakes or suspension, they only add wieght and steal budget from the frame. you can always add these bits later on,the main thing now is to buy a solid frame that fits, and youll only get that by sitting on stuff.

EDIT: sorry didnt see the bit about second hand. Have a lood for an older (but good nick) GT/Trek/Specialized (still rigid, still v brakes) if you cant sit on them before you buy aim in the 17-20" range (im your height and buy a fair few bikes on ebay and thats the size i aim at.) as these can be adapted to suit by seatpost/stem length for your needs.
    Santa Cruz 5010C
    Deviate Guide
    Specialized Sequoia Elite
    Pivot Mach 429SL
    Trek Madone 5.2 Di2
    Salsa Mukluk Carbon
    Specialized Turbo Levo Expert 29er
  • Ryan Jones
    Ryan Jones Posts: 775
    I'd look for an entry level Saracen or Mongoose, seeing as they don't hold their money like the more "prestige" names like Specialized, Trek etc, neither do they have the "everyone's buying them" appeal of the halfords or decathlon bikes !
  • mtb crazy wrote:

Rubbish.. I'm 6ft 2 and ride a 19". But I can also ride a 15.5" to 21" depending on the type of bike.

To the OP... try before you buy if you can!
  • carrock
    carrock Posts: 1,103
    I'd push your budget if you can

Even 2nd hand you won't get anything worthwhile for £100

£200 would get you a nice 2nd hand tradein that could have cost up to £450 new- look for a specialized rockhopper level or similar.

And don't think that a £50 bike from Tesco/Asda is a bargain. It isnt.
  • bokkie
    I see there is a decathlon store in reading, think i'll go up there on the weekend and try them out. £100 for a 5.0 rockrider, £130 for a 5.1 or a 2nd hand 5.2 for £100. Otherwise i'll keep my eyes on ebay for the recommendations. Thanks for the advice.
  • Ryan Jones
    Ryan Jones Posts: 775
    Local papers and free-ad's have always been my favourite haunt for cheap bikes, the last being my £150 as new Saracen Mantra 1, basic yes but a great base to upgrade !