2012 Fox RP23 rear shock....first ride!

ashleymp777
ashleymp777 Posts: 1,212
edited July 2011 in MTB general
Wow! It's not often that I replace a part and am instantly blown away, but I have to say that the new Fox RP23 rear shock is absolutely stunning.

The changes they've made for 2012 really do work well. I'm loving the adjustment you get in the 'Open' position and the feeeling is so, so plush thanks to the kashima coating.

What a wonderful improvement for the 2012 kit!

Comments

• supersonic
    supersonic Posts: 82,708
    This ain't useful without saying what bike it is on, and how the changes works for you ;-)

The Yeti? Is it just the plushness that is different? If so, how?
  • popstar
    popstar Posts: 1,392
    I find it a bit of a cheap talk. Proper marketing blurb, without detailed comparison against older shocks. If you fancy smoother response to your shocks from micro clatter Fork Juice will make it, and that's £8.99 of lubespray serving you a good year. Kashima does look different but that's about it.
    What could have been (Video)

I'll choose not put too much stake into someone's opinion who is admittingly terrible though
  • ljs1977
    ljs1977 Posts: 247
    Thread hijack!

I agree with the Fork Juice comment.

Also I have a Cube Stereo, with the shock in most rediculous place. With FJ no muck sticks to it. :D

As you were
  • Dirtydog11
    Dirtydog11 Posts: 1,621
    I'm loving the adjustment you get in the 'Open' position and the feeeling is so.......

How does this adjustment affect the ride?

What does the adjustment achieve, I'd like to be able to adjust the low speed compression.
  • benpinnick
    benpinnick Posts: 4,148
    Dirtydog11 wrote:
    I'm loving the adjustment you get in the 'Open' position and the feeeling is so.......

How does this adjustment affect the ride?

What does the adjustment achieve, I'd like to be able to adjust the low speed compression.

Thats kind of what it does - the new way of doing things is to be able to go from open > light compression > mid compression > propedal, as I understand it. Makes sense as I bet Fox found that almost all users had it on either 1 propedal setting or open, and rarely changed the setting to the Propedal.

Why is this better? Well as you say, the thing you want to mess with is actually mainly the low speed compression damping, not ProPedal per se (which is a combo of compression and rebound). The new way means that PP on is effectively a lock-out option (albeit not locked out) for road and smooth trails, while the 1/2/3 selector offers varying degrees of open...... as I understand it.

I've historically used PP for everything but DH, and switched to Open when I pointed the bike downwards. Now I will be able to leave PP on for the XC stuff, on the basis that I would have a suitable tune on that, and moderate the amount of Open-ness depending on how steep the downhills are going to be, which is probably a more practical, if not revolutionary approach.
    A Flock of Birds
    + some other bikes.
  • BlueAdvocate
    BlueAdvocate Posts: 266
    I'd still buy Fork Juice even if I had a Kashima coated shock/fork; just to squirt it up my nose....
  • Dick Scruttock
    Dick Scruttock Posts: 2,533
    TBH When i CBA to spray fork juice on my forks and shock it does ride better, like a different bike. However i cba to do it that often pre ride.