Coast to Coast in 9.5 hours

rodgers73
rodgers73 Posts: 2,626
Just done Maryport - Cockermouth - Keswick - Penrith - Alston - Crook - Durham - Blackhall Rocks in 9.5 hours total, or 7.5 if you take out the rest stops. 116 miles in total.

Not a record breaking time I'm sure but I'm happy with it and the constant changes from bright sun to incredibly heavy rain this w/e made it interesting and fun.

Plus a new top speed of 42mph clocked on the decent from Nenthead was exciting!

Comments

• ian_s
    ian_s Posts: 183
    Well done mate!
    I am planning to do it in August in a day (did it last year with the mrs at a more leisurely pace)

Do you have your route in gpx etc format by any chance?
  • rodgers73
    I do - although I switched my Garmin off around Penrith as it kept trying to send me off at tangents that were clearly wrong. If you'd like it I can send you the link to it at mapmyride.com
  • brin
    brin Posts: 1,122
    Well done, that's a decent time even including the rest stops, one question tho - why Blackhall Rocks and not Roker Promenade? Its easier to dip your tyres there.

Regarding the Garmin playing up - apparently there is a transmitter just outside of Penrith which is renowned for this happening, some routes avoid Penrith for this reason.
  • rodgers73
    Aha - that explains a lot then.

I didnt dip my tyres - mainly due to weather and fatigue (sleepy in the morning and just wanted to get going and tired in the rainy afternoon and just wanted to end).

Got pics taken at start and finish with the sea in the background though.
  • ian_s
    rodgers73 wrote:
    I do - although I switched my Garmin off around Penrith as it kept trying to send me off at tangents that were clearly wrong. If you'd like it I can send you the link to it at mapmyride.com

Yes please, if you don't mind:)
    Did you bypass the offroad bits? - I imagine that would save a fair bit of time.
  • robklancs
    robklancs Posts: 498
    How hilly is the route? And does it avoid major towns? Next year I am planning to do the coast to coast and back again in 24 hours for charity. I was thinking way of the.roses as it starts in morecambe and I live in Lancaster but still open to other routes.
  • rodgers73
    Yes, no off road bits. Mainly A roads but after Penrith that's no bad thing as the traffic is light and the scenery nice.

There were 2 hilly bits - one just after Melmerby and another straight after Alston - but nothing too bad. There were a few more hills around Durham, but small stuff.

The advantage of the route heading West was that there was a good tailwind and a lot of slight downhill, whereas coming back you'd be dragging up that incline and only having a few short sharp descents. If you're doing there and back you might be better starting on the East coast so the hard work is out of the way first.

If anyone can tell me how to post a link to my rides I'll share. Otherwise just search for my name on the site - rodgers1973
  • robklancs
    robklancs Posts: 498
    Cheers for the reply, but I live on the west coast so starting and finising in the east wouldn't work for me. I think I will recce both routes before next summer just to see which one will suit.
  • ian_s
    rodgers73 wrote:
    If anyone can tell me how to post a link to my rides I'll share. Otherwise just search for my name on the site - rodgers1973

I couldn't find your name on mapmyride.com.

You can just select the url at the top of the window, Copy or CTRLC, then in the forum window Paste or CTRLV - is that what you meant?
  • rodgers73
    Ah, didnt realise it was that easy. Here's the link -

http://www.mapmyride.com/routes/view/40003870
  • ian_s
    Well, I just asked mapmyride to be your friend.. :o
  • rodgers73
    Approved! :D
  • ian_s
    Good one - thanks!
  • Variance
    Variance Posts: 130
    robklancs wrote:
    Cheers for the reply, but I live on the west coast so starting and finising in the east wouldn't work for me. I think I will recce both routes before next summer just to see which one will suit.

I have a great C2C route which my club (Garstang) use.

Starts from Glasson Dock

It avoids main roads at all costs and is 142 miles

I can post it if your interested

Paul
  • ian_s
    Variance wrote:
    robklancs wrote:

I have a great C2C route which my club (Garstang) use.

Starts from Glasson Dock

It avoids main roads at all costs and is 142 miles

I can post it if your interested

Paul

Great if you don't mind mate :D

Cheers
    Ian
  • Variance
    Variance Posts: 130
    http://ridewithgps.com/routes/555076

Enjoy

Paul