Bargain waterproof panniers!

rodgers73
rodgers73 Posts: 2,626
edited July 2011 in Tour & expedition
Just buy some rubble bags from Tesco - £2.60 for 6 - and line your bog standard panniers with them. They're double the thickness of standard black bags and feel nicely substantial and don't rip easily.

Roll down the top before closing the flap and hey presto, your £20 panniers are upgraded to top quality watertight gear. Plus, when you get to your destination you stash the bike and just lift out the bags and carry them into the hotel/B&b/etc.

Worked for me anyway!

Comments

• dilemna
    dilemna Posts: 2,187
    Was this a tip from Viz :lol: ?
    Life is like a roll of toilet paper; long and useful, but always ends at the wrong moment. Anon.
    Think how stupid the average person is.......
    half of them are even more stupid than you first thought.
  • andymiller
    andymiller Posts: 2,856
    viz or not he is right - I've been happily touring for the last couple of months with my stuff in rubble bags. Although I think it's probably easier to keep the stuff in your panniers until you get to your room.
  • priory
    priory Posts: 743
    how much?
    surely you get those charity collection bags through the letter box don't you?

Pound stretcher here have got throw-over panniers reduced from 15pounds and carriers for 7 pounds at the moment., and padded undershorts for 5pounds.
    Raleigh Eclipse, , Dahon Jetstream XP, Raleigh Banana, Dawes super galaxy, Raleigh Clubman

http://s189.photobucket.com/albums/z122 ... =slideshow
  • HebdenBiker
    HebdenBiker Posts: 787
    Carradice sell "Waterproof Pannier Liners" for £2 each. These are basically thick orange bin bags :D
  • Gotte
    Gotte Posts: 494
    Lidl panniers, when you can get them. I forget the price (about fifteen quid for two?), but astoninshing value - big, light, roll top and fully waterproof.
    But yes, if looking for liners, the Tesco option is by far the cheapest.
  • rodgers73
    rodgers73 Posts: 2,626
    I bought my panniers from Wiggle (I think) at about £20 and then the bin liners.

The panniers dont detach from the bike very easily - you have unbuckle them etc - as they are designed to be a semi-permanent fixture. So, being able to just lift out the liners and carry them to the room actually improves their functionality.

I couldnt believe the cost of some of the fully waterproof gear on sale! Mine look nice and work great, so I'm happy to pass on the tip.