Quick gear question for my new bike

Coxy_UK
Coxy_UK Posts: 297
edited July 2011 in MTB workshop & tech
Took my Canyon out for its first ride, all great except it was often reluctant to change up front from the middle ring to the small ring.

Sometimes it did, sometimes it didn't and so obviously need just a minute adjustment.

Anyone know what I need to do please?

I'm a noob with gears, not tried adjusting any in years now and I don't wanna get that right only to find I've inadvertanly messed up other gear changes.

Also noticed that after one ride a cable has gone through the anodizing on the frame :( It comes with protective stickers and I applied helicopter tape elsewhere, but this one place is a pain. If they insist on anodizing the frame, they should at least protect all the relevant areas.
_______________________________________________________________________________________
Tides of sin draw tighter and brighter, hours become heavier and weighted, and the shadows smile...dark and wild.
<font color="blue">My Stumpy FSR Pic 1</font id="blue">
<font color="red">My Stumpy FSR Pic 2</font id="red">

Comments

• nicklouse
    nicklouse Posts: 50,675
    Coxy_UK wrote:

Also noticed that after one ride a cable has gone through the anodizing on the frame :( It comes with protective stickers and I applied helicopter tape elsewhere, but this one place is a pain. If they insist on anodizing the frame, they should at least protect all the relevant areas.

and that is why it come with them.

re the gears sounds like too much tension.

have a read of the info on Park Tools.
    "Do not follow where the path may lead, Go instead where there is no path, and Leave a Trail."
    Parktools :?:SheldonBrown
  • Coxy_UK
    nicklouse wrote:
    and that is why it come with them.

Well it only comes with a few poorly placed stickers, I bought some helicopter tape and applied it in 5 places where there was cable rub, the only one I didnt because there's not much of a surface to stick to, it rubbed through instantly.
    _______________________________________________________________________________________
    Tides of sin draw tighter and brighter, hours become heavier and weighted, and the shadows smile...dark and wild.
  • Deputy Dawg
    Deputy Dawg Posts: 428
    Have a read of this thread re: canyon cable rub.
    Statistically, Six Out Of Seven Dwarves Aren't Happy
  • Coxy_UK
    I saw that before and put tape there. But where that cable goes to the left and over the bottom bracket it where it did it mine. Not a major issue, can't see it as it's under the cable. I will try and tape it somehow, wont look pretty though.
  • Coxy_UK
    Park Tool website is pretty good and helpful. it seems I may have to adjust the L screw.

Could my problem also be cable tension instead?
  • cooldad
    cooldad Posts: 32,599
    Unlikely to be tension as cable slackens when you shift down.
    Possibly just a tweak of the L screw, but what cog on the cassette are you in when you have problems, as you said the problem is intermittent.
    I don't do smileys.

There is no secret ingredient - Kung Fu Panda

London Calling on Facebook

Parktools
  • njee20
    njee20 Posts: 9,613
    Unlikely to be tension as cable slackens when you shift down.

Yep, and too much tension and it won't shift down... Could be either.
  • cooldad
    cooldad Posts: 32,599
    Fair enough easy enough to find out, just undo the cable and see where the mech ends up.
    I don't do smileys.

There is no secret ingredient - Kung Fu Panda

London Calling on Facebook

Parktools
  • Coxy_UK
    Right well I undid the L screw one half turn and seems to have done the job. I will be hitting the trails again tomorrow so I will see how it acts under pressure.

Cheers all.