Beginner's Audax kit - What would you take?

So, I've got the bike, now I want to work up to my first century and complete a couple of audaxes this year.

Trouble is, what do I need in the way of kit?

I am guessing some sort of a bag, either racked or saddle is necessary - what do people use?

Off the top of my head, this is what I'd put in it:

-flapjacks
-skittles
-multi-tool
-spare tube(s)
-waterproof shell
-pump or air cartridges
-map
-emergency tenner

anything else?

Cheers!

Comments

• rodgers73
    rodgers73 Posts: 2,626
    Swap Skittles for Jelly Babies! :D

Tyre levers would be useful...
  • acidstrato
    acidstrato Posts: 945
    i personally wouldnt do 100 or so miles with a bag on my back either. Im picturing a hell of a hot sweaty back
    Crafted in Italy apparantly
  • Bobbinogs
    Bobbinogs Posts: 4,841
    This crops up a few times in Road Beginners. I think I would advise not to fret too much about what other folks carry but learn your own 'accepted risk' level and experience will help you as you go along. An audax is, after all, just like any other normal ride (in that there isn't a broom wagon) so just learn from your own training.

I would add (along with the tyre levers) a KMC master link and, if the multi tool didn't have a chain tool, a small chain brute. Also, a small piece of old tyre/plastic for use as a tyre boot and a couple of cable ties. A small pack of the Park puncture (sticky) patches is also handy (in case you have a puncture mare). Finally, I cut my thumb on a shard of glass last w/e and got blood everywhere when swapping the tube...and regretted not having a small plaster but haven't added that to my list yet. Everything goes in a small wedgie saddle bag with an extra tube and a thin cable lock (for control stops) in my pockets. Oh, mobile phone goes with the map in my pockets too.

I thorougly recommend a map holder for audax route sheets. I use a Polaris one as it can be added/removed easily and having a route card in front of your nose is really handy (and relaxing too). It is surprising how many folks on audaxes want to rely on someone else knowing the route, don't be fooled into this as audaxes get strung out just like sportives.
  • Excellent, thanks for all this advice.

Now, what bag do you put it all in?

H
  • jimwin
    jimwin Posts: 208
    Bobbinogs wrote:
    This crops up a few times in Road Beginners. I think I would advise not to fret too much about what other folks carry but learn your own 'accepted risk' level and experience will help you as you go along. An audax is, after all, just like any other normal ride (in that there isn't a broom wagon) so just learn from your own training.

I would add (along with the tyre levers) a KMC master link and, if the multi tool didn't have a chain tool, a small chain brute. Also, a small piece of old tyre/plastic for use as a tyre boot and a couple of cable ties. A small pack of the Park puncture (sticky) patches is also handy (in case you have a puncture mare). Finally, I cut my thumb on a shard of glass last w/e and got blood everywhere when swapping the tube...and regretted not having a small plaster but haven't added that to my list yet. Everything goes in a small wedgie saddle bag with an extra tube and a thin cable lock (for control stops) in my pockets. Oh, mobile phone goes with the map in my pockets too.

I thoroughly recommend a map holder for audax route sheets. I use a Polaris one as it can be added/removed easily and having a route card in front of your nose is really handy (and relaxing too). It is surprising how many folks on audaxes want to rely on someone else knowing the route, don't be fooled into this as audaxes get strung out just like sportives.

Good advice above. A good multi-tool, spare inner tube, tyre levers and puncture repair kit are essential and can all fit into a small seat pack. To the list I would add a GPS unit since audax rides are neither marshalled nor signposted. Some audax organisers provide a gpx file of their route(s), others you have to plot from the routesheet (this can sometimes be a bit tricky!). It's a bit of a luxury, but it makes rides in unknown territory much easier.

Oh - and a decent pump. The Topeak Road Morph is the best IMO (and C+ too).

- Jim
  • KKB
    KKB Posts: 28
    I'd go for an Ortlieb saddle bag (Large), also waterproof, if sealed correctly.
  • danowat
    danowat Posts: 2,877
    I take the same "kit" for everyride I do, be it my 17 mile commute or a 200k audax.

A pair of inner tubes, CO2 inflator with 3 carts, multi-tool, mobile, money.

If its a ride of 100km then I'll take one bottle, if its longer I'll take two bottles and a couple of bars of something.
  • Crapaud
    Crapaud Posts: 2,483
    I use a pump rather than CO2 carts - a pump'll be more useful in a puncturefest.
    1 spare tube, a 'proper' patch kit and a tyre boot or 2.
    Multitool
    Spare brake and gear cables.
    A map of the area - a GPS I'd put on a 'nice to have' list, but not essential. A map won't develop a fault, run out of power or have the route put in wrong.
    A compass - in an unfamiliar area with cloud cover it's not always possible to tell which direction's which.
    Spare spokes.
    Extra energy drink powder and emergency carbs - power bar or gel.
    Arm and leg warmers and a waterproof jacket.
    Bail-out money in case it all goes tits up.

Some of the above might seem overkill, but it doesn't weigh much. I carry it all as standard.
    A fanatic is one who can’t change his mind and won’t change the subject - Churchill
  • jimwin
    jimwin Posts: 208
    hazzeryoda wrote:
    -pump or air cartridges !

As Crapaud said, a pump every time. Spare cables are a personal choice. If you maintain your bike well, you'll never need them. And for audaxes, a well maintained bike is essential.

A compass is also a good choice. You can pick up one with a bell - I've used that many times going along quiet lanes (that couple and their dog in the way!). But beware that a cheap compass give uncertain results (+/- 45 degrees) so it's only a guide when all else fails.
  • geoff_ss
    geoff_ss Posts: 1,201
    It's also a good idea to check the route on a map before the event then you know where you're going. I used a rack pack for my stuff and usually had plenty of food - water proofs are essential and warm night clothing for longer events of 300km and over.

Also be aware that route sheets aren't always 100% reliable. My wife and I got lost on our tandem on a Brevet Populaire becuase of a route sheet mistake. When we got back we were told that everyone knew where the proper route was anyway because they'd ridden it before! And my wife is the best navigator/map reader in the world :)

Geoff
    Old cyclists never die; they just fit smaller chainrings ... and pedal faster
  • Crapaud
    Crapaud Posts: 2,483
    One thing I forgot to mention is a couple of cable ties. Millions of uses, cable ties.
    A fanatic is one who can’t change his mind and won’t change the subject - Churchill
  • marcusjb
    marcusjb Posts: 2,412
    As others have mentioned, it's a question of how adverse to risk you are - I see people on audax (even 3&400km ones) with a saddle bag the size of a coke can and that's it. Euqally I see people with two panniers fully loaded up with everything you could imagine doing a two weeek tour on!

Obviously, they (I assume) accept the risk that if something bigger than just a flat tyre happens, they'll have to find a train or blag a lift home from someone.

A summer 100 or 200 is a day out in the countryside, so take what you feel happy with in terms of spares. I don't carry spare cables, tyres etc. for these. Just a couple of tubes, multi-tool, tyre levers and pump.

A winter 200 will involve some night time riding - so extra layers, lights etc.

A 300 or 400 - as above for layers and lights.

Usually, once we are talking about extensive night riding, I start to carry a few more spares - gear and brake cables, tyre etc. Also if the ride is in (let's say) the remote hills of Wales, there's a different approach to spares to (let's say) a ride in south-east England where bike shops are plentiful.

If there's any night riding involved - take a head torch - you'll need it to read the route sheet and if you have any mechanicals, you'll need to be able to see what you are doing.

Look at the route sheet and see where the planned cafe stops are - work out your feeding strategy - mostly controls are about 50km apart - so just make sure you've a bit of flapjack or whatever you like in case of bonking. If you see that there's a ride of 80-100km between controls (less likely on a 200), then you want to make sure you load up with a couple of snacks to have on that leg.

Don't forget a pen or pencil as a lot of audax rides will have what is known as an info control (where a question needs to be answered like 'What is the last post collection on a Tuesday at the post box on the junction of X & Y?".

Also, don't be afraid to ask people for help with spares or repairs - audax is a friendly scene overall and people are willing to help you out. Whilst I wouldn't have a lot of sympathy for someone who's not even brought a spare tube with them - I wouldn't hesitate to give/loan someone a tube if they've had half a dozens flat already, run out of patches etc. I've given someone a chain link before, and would happily do so again - or a tyre, gear cable etc.

It is often worth mentioning to the organiser that it's your first audax (drop them an Email) - don't be shy. Often they might make sure that a couple of old hands are looking out for you.

Be warned though - it's addictive - I rode my first 200km audax in October last year - I've gone on to complete my Super Randonneur series (200/300/400/600) and now heading off to Paris-Brest-Paris 1200 in August!
  • Thanks to everyone for their very useful info!

By the way, Marcus those are two beautiful bikes you have. I love the Pompino, if ever I could be arsed with singlespeed, that's what I'd get.

And tell me, on the Condor, what is your Brooks Swift like? Comfortable? Difficult to break in? I'm thinking of getting one to go on my red Genesis Equilibrium 20...

Also, what do you use in the way of gear ratios for Audax? I currently have a 34-50T compact chainset and a 11-25T casette, but I'm thinkin of swapping it for a 28T or 32T...

Cheers,

H
  • marcusjb
    marcusjb Posts: 2,412
    Thanks for the compliments - the Condor was a real treat to myself, and I am very pleased with it.

Brooks Swift (Brooks in general) - I have had that saddle about three years and it took very little time to break in and has been comfy since day 1. I also have B17 Champion Specials on the Brompton and the tandem - again, comfy from day 1. However, many people will not get on with Brooks at all, no matter how hard they try. You'll get as many people telling you a Brooks is the only saddle to have as people telling you that riding a Brooks is like being gang-raped by a herd of elephants.

I love the Brooks - but I know many that don't. Trouble is it's an expensive experiment to find out these days.

One thing is clear - a really lightweight racing saddle might be fine for a 200km - but beyond that, most people are going to want something a little comfier!

Gear ratios - I started audax on a 53/39 with a 12-25T cassette. It was fine on most 200km rides. Again, the problems start to get worse as the distances go up (or you're riding over winter) as you carry a bit more stuff. I agonised over the gearing on the Condor - I ended up with an 11-28T cassette and a chainset with 48/36/26 - that inner ring will get me up anything (I didn't even go into my lowest gear going up the 25% Devil's Staircase on the Elenith 300). I've literally only used the inner ring a couple of times - but it's nice to know it's there!

Gearing all depends on your strength and the type of audax you want to ride - if you see AAA on the event's description - it will be hilly (Audax Altitude Award). I've seen plenty of people riding 200km AAA events with a traditional 53/39 - but they are very strong riders. As the distance goes up, even those strong riders won't want to tackle a steep climb on a 39-25 gear after 300 odd km!

Bascially, audax is not racing - so most people will run a more touring style chainset - a triple with something like 48/38/28. You won't be flying along pushing 53-15 or whatever (unless you are very strong!) and downhills are a good chance to rest the legs. I've never wished I had a higher gear on an audax ride.

Essentially, start with what you've got - don't worry too much about it. I am in no way suggesting that 200km is easy or nothing to worry about - it's still a long way to ride a bike, but if you have reasonable fitness and a well-maintained bike, you'll be fine as long as you hydrate and feed yourself well and take the pace steady.

Once you've got a couple of rides under your belt, then is the time to really start thinking about gearing, any discomfort you had etc.

For most audax riders, it's about having a good time rather than doing a good time - so take it steady, enjoy the banter, eat cakes, enjoy the scenery - it doesn't matter whether you finish first or lanterne rouge - you will have acheived something even most regular riders won't have done. 200km in a day is a very big achievement, and even those who ride 300, 400, 600, 1000+ events can remember how it felt at the end of their first 200!