Weird Cyclists

2»

Comments

• The Rookie
    The Rookie Posts: 27,812
    jimmypippa wrote:
    I see one bike at work that is always parked in the lowest gear, as it is a mountain style bike, this means that the rear ring has more teeth than the front ring.
    Rapid rise rear mech and likes to leave it with cables relaxed maybe?

Simon
    Currently riding a Whyte T130C, X0 drivetrain, Magura Trail brakes converted to mixed wheel size (homebuilt wheels) with 140mm Fox 34 Rhythm and RP23 suspension. 12.2Kg.
  • kieranb
    kieranb Posts: 1,674
    sometimes I see a guy cycling wearing what looks like a gas mask type thing , not the usual respro type filter masks.
  • Kieran_Burns
    Kieran_Burns Posts: 9,757
    Ummmmm.......

I thought ALL cyclists were weird?
    Chunky Cyclists need your love too! :-)
    2009 Specialized Tricross Sport
    2011 Trek Madone 4.5
    2012 Felt F65X
    Proud CX Pervert and quiet roadie. 12 mile commuter
  • rick_chasey
    rick_chasey Posts: 75,661
    Rolf F wrote:
    The yoof of tomorrow will be saying that about us "Skinny old men on wierd old Carbon road bikes"

The youth of tomorrow?

So babies? :?:
  • Pufftmw
    Pufftmw Posts: 1,941
    The increasing number of people on expensive road bikes in full lycra riding on the pavement - why?

Was collecting a new bike from Evans on saturday (to replace g/f's stolen one :( ) and there was a woman out road-testing a white roadie - except she wasn't on the road but the pavement! Got to wonder how long she/bike will survive...
  • EKE_38BPM
    EKE_38BPM Posts: 5,821
    Rolf F wrote:
    The yoof of tomorrow will be saying that about us "Skinny old men on wierd old Carbon road bikes"

Nah. Despite being ridden and treated with love by their owners, the carbon frames will crack and fail (usually just after the warranty has expired), so there will be no old carbon frames.

The men will still be skinny though, especially as the yoof of tomorrow will be fat due to too much time sitting in front of the TV playing video games and too many fried 'chicken' takeaways.
    The women will still have beards, as will their bikes.
    FCN 3: Raleigh Record Ace fixie-to be resurrected sometime in the future
    FCN 4: Planet X Schmaffenschmack 2- workhorse
    FCN 9: B Twin Vitamin - winter commuter/loan bike for trainees

I'm hungry. I'm always hungry!
  • jimmypippa wrote:
    Skinny old men are even more scary fell-running, when they don't have to compensate for the weight of the bike. My brother talks about gnarly old men.

Half man half whippet.

Eesh yes. Did my first ever race at beacon batch this year. Granted I hadnt done any specific training but on the second major climb, up to the trig point I got passed by 2 who must have been in their mid - late 60s, with a cheery few words of encouragement that were clearly their way of taking the piss out of me for passing them earlier :)

They finished well ahead of me
  • dreamlx10
    dreamlx10 Posts: 235
    People in Sky cycling gear !
  • dreamlx10
    dreamlx10 Posts: 235
    People who do "Sportives" and look like they really mean it !
  • Jay dubbleU
    Jay dubbleU Posts: 3,159
    seataltea wrote:
    The increasing number of people on expensive road bikes in full lycra riding on the pavement - why?

I've just ridden home, it's 1am and to negotiate a huge roundabout joining two A roads which were dual carriageways I used the pavements and a subway and still some kid in Saxo almost totalled me when I rejoined the road.

I was wearing lycra and my bike was fairly pricey.

That's why.

Proves my point - if you'd already been on the road the driver would have seen you in time - I regularly ride round a roundabout where five roads jion including a daual carriageway
  • Headhuunter
    Headhuunter Posts: 6,494
    A couple of months ago I saw the guy who cycles in the big American football helmet that people have mentioned. He was heading south along London Bridge... Did look a bit bizarre!
    Do not write below this line. Office use only.
  • Confusedboy
    Confusedboy Posts: 287
    Got well dropped on Newport Road the other day by a chap on a full sus 'mtb' in full hi-viz and what looked like a suit under it. Temperature was in well in the 20s and we were fighting a 25mph headwind. At least I was on the hybrid; had I been on Yellow Beryl I think I'd have just gone home and slashed my wrists.............

But, back in the 90s when I was commuting cross town on a slicked-up mtb myself, I would sometimes overtake a full-on lycra roadie who never seemed to get the hang of cadence. If there was a tailwind, I would even do this smoking my old briarpipe (I used to smoke; gave up for new year's 2000/2001). This would be wearing a Postman's uniform....
  • seataltea
    seataltea Posts: 594
    seataltea wrote:

I've just ridden home, it's 1am and to negotiate a huge roundabout joining two A roads which were dual carriageways I used the pavements and a subway and still some kid in Saxo almost totalled me when I rejoined the road.

That's why.

Proves my point - if you'd already been on the road the driver would have seen you in time - I regularly ride round a roundabout where five roads jion including a daual carriageway

I guess you don't get out on the bike much at night....if at all ?
    'nulla tenaci invia est via'
    FCN4
    Boardman HT Pro fully X0'd
    CUBE Peleton 2012
    Genesis Aether 20 all season commuter
  • The Rookie
    The Rookie Posts: 27,812
    Being part of the traffic is always safer than joining it, whether on a bike or a motorbike or in a car!

Simon
    Currently riding a Whyte T130C, X0 drivetrain, Magura Trail brakes converted to mixed wheel size (homebuilt wheels) with 140mm Fox 34 Rhythm and RP23 suspension. 12.2Kg.
  • El Diego
    El Diego Posts: 440
    When it snows I use my girlfriends pink mixte style bike, complete with basket and bell. It must look odd seeing a 6,3" 14 stone man wearing a balaclava on what looks like Ms Marple's bike.
  • Initialised
    Initialised Posts: 3,047
    Zachariah wrote:
    Early morning this week I saw a girl riding a faired recumbent, right in the street. In the street, I tell you! Didn't even have a beard!
    Has she featured on page 3 of aforementioned rag?
    I used to just ride my bike to work but now I find myself going out looking for bigger and bigger hills.
  • Headhuunter
    Headhuunter Posts: 6,494
    El Diego wrote:
    When it snows I use my girlfriends pink mixte style bike, complete with basket and bell. It must look odd seeing a 6,3" 14 stone man wearing a balaclava on what looks like Ms Marple's bike.

Why particularly when it snows? Does the snow bring out your feminine side?
    Do not write below this line. Office use only.
  • king_jeffers
    king_jeffers Posts: 694
    El Diego wrote:

Manchester :roll:

:wink:
  • Jay dubbleU
    Jay dubbleU Posts: 3,159
    seataltea wrote:
    seataltea wrote:

That's why.

I guess you don't get out on the bike much at night....if at all ?

I commute all winter - that includes in the dark