Upgrading Wheels....Any noteable difference and is it worth?

Sorbus Rock
Sorbus Rock Posts: 3
edited July 2011 in MTB beginners
Hello All, first post here for me...
Ive had a Trek Mamba about 4 months and was thinking what difference putting a Hope Hoop on the rear would make. Would it be a noteable difference against the wheel it came with? Not sure of the model but the guy in the shop said it would be £228 (I think?) Would it be as durable? or just a little quicker going up hills? Sorry if obvious, but not had a bike for 30 yrs. Cheers

Comments

• cooldad
    cooldad Posts: 32,599
    Anything wrong with the current one?
    Without knowing what is on, and specifics of what you intend to replace it with, it's a bit difficult to comment.
    Unlikely to make you much quicker up hills though. Unless the current wheels are made of lead.
    I don't do smileys.

There is no secret ingredient - Kung Fu Panda

London Calling on Facebook

Parktools
  • nothing wrong with the stock wheels it came with. I think theyre Bontrager 6000 rims. The guy in the shop seemed to think it would make it quicker and said he used himself. Possibly just after a sale...

Suppose was wondering why people upgrade their wheels and what the difference was.

cheers
  • cooldad
    cooldad Posts: 32,599
    Lighter, stiffer, stronger, blingier.
    A number of reasons, but unless you feel the current ones are inadequate, or have a specific reason for changing, I wouldn't spend that much (more than a quarter of the original price of the bike?) on one wheel after a few months. I doubt you would feel that value of benefit.
    Although I know nothing about the current wheels, so I'm making an assumption.
    I don't do smileys.

There is no secret ingredient - Kung Fu Panda

London Calling on Facebook

Parktools
  • Frodo1095
    Frodo1095 Posts: 252
    Yes, lighter and stiffer wheels can make a difference, but as cooldad says you have to weigh up the upgrade cost versus the original cost of the bike and would it really make a huge difference to you especially after just a few months.
  • lemoncurd
    lemoncurd Posts: 1,428
    The only noticeable difference will be to your wallet.

The best way to get up hills quicker is to cycle more, if there's nothing wrong with your current wheel then you'll be wasting your money.
  • CraigXXL
    CraigXXL Posts: 1,852
    £228 for just a rear Hope Hoop :shock: shop around you can get them much cheaper.
  • mac_man
    mac_man Posts: 918
    CraigXXL wrote:
    £228 for just a rear Hope Hoop :shock: shop around you can get them much cheaper.

True... I bought Hope Pro 2 front and rear on Mavic 717s for £250.

I upgrade my old wheels as they were very heavy. Rotating mass is doubly heavy if you will as you have to get the damn things rolling. So mass lost in the wheels/tyres can make a large difference.

Best bet is to weigh them and compare them to the options. If you're only saving a couple of hundred grams then I wouldn't bother. I saved nearly 1.5Kg... so well worth it :-)
    Cool, retro and sometimes downright rude MTB and cycling themed T shirts. Just MTFU.

By day: http://www.mtfu.co.uk
  • .blitz
    .blitz Posts: 6,197
    ....make it quicker
    lbs phrase #2343
    .... and said he used himself
    ...aaaaaaand lbs phrase #2344
  • Steve_F
    Steve_F Posts: 682
    I had the same conversation with my cousin about buying wheels that are way above the spec of the bike. He pointed out that they would stay with him when he gets the next bike.

Wheels are a good place to start when you go upgrading but as others have said make sure the weight change is worth it. That said, I never noticed much weight difference with my last change but they do feel a lot faster - go figure!!
    Current steed is a '07 Carrera Banshee X
    + cheap road/commuting bike
  • supersonic
    supersonic Posts: 82,708
    Find a new shop. The Mamba is a nice budget bike - if he thinks the best way forward is to add a wheel that costs a third of the price of the bike he wants his head seeing to.
  • 1mancity2
    1mancity2 Posts: 2,355
    Wheels are the best place to save weight if your upgrading, I have hope hoops and they weight nothing compared to my old wheels, (Sunrims stock) and they pickup alot faster best upgrade I have made and defo would recommend them.
    Finished, Check out my custom Giant Reign 2010
    Dirt Jumper Dmr Sidekick2
  • captainfly
    captainfly Posts: 1,001
    Yeah wheels can make a huge difference, but you do need to be doing it for the right reasons, are your wheels noticibly causing you issues? if not then don't bother until you do or you break them,
    -_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_
    Mongoose Teocali
    Giant STP0

Why are MTB economics; spend twice as much as you intended, but only half as much as you wish you could afford? :roll: