Spanish Cycling

Max09
Max09 Posts: 27
edited July 2011 in Amateur race
Hoping to take a year out to race full time sometime soon and I was just considering my options.
Does anyone know anything about racing in Spain?
I can't seem to find anything..
Thanks for any help :D

Comments

• ozzzyosborn206
    ozzzyosborn206 Posts: 1,340
    not first hand but Steve Lampier who now rides for sigma raced there for a bit and said it was rock hard because with it generally being quite hilly if your not strong enough you get spat as you don't benefit as much from wheel sucking, what sort of level are you at now?
  • Max09
    I'm a 3rd cat first year junior so I've still got another year hopefully to develop before I head out somewhere.
    Do you know where I can find out about clubs and races etc?
  • Gavin Cook
    Gavin Cook Posts: 307
    Hi
    I have lived in Tenerife for the last 13 years and I used to race with a local club. There are some very good riders here and just as the above comments the races are quite hard becuse of all the climbing. For sure it would be time well spent on quality training.
    As well as the obvious advantage of the warm climate in Tenerife the cost of living is much less than main land Spain. This is the web site for the Tenerife cycling federation web site http://www.ciclismotenerife.com/ although its in Spanish only . let me know if you need any more info. I have a couple of friends that still race so they can give any advise you may need.

Gavin
  • Max09
    Thanks Gavin, I suppose the other regions of Spain have similar websites?
    Is there different categories for the riders like there is in Britain?
  • Gavin Cook
    I am sure each region will have a web site but to be honest I have never had experience of racing in main land Spain. When I was racing back in the 90´s the categories were Elite, Juniors and masters and I think its the same now. Some races are a staggered start with the Juniors and masters setting off first and then the Elite riders and other races are dedicated to each category.
    I had a great one year racing back in 1994 and would love to repeat the experience but work and family make it difficult these days and the fact I am no spring chicken anymore !!! Let me know if you need any more info or translations etc.

Gavin
  • Gavin Cook
    I am sure each region will have a web site but to be honest I have never had experience of racing in main land Spain. When I was racing back in the 90´s the categories were Elite, Juniors and masters and I think its the same now. Some races are a staggered start with the Juniors and masters setting off first and then the Elite riders and other races are dedicated to each category.
    I had a great one year racing back in 1994 and would love to repeat the experience but work and family make it difficult these days and the fact I am no spring chicken anymore !!! Let me know if you need any more info or translations etc.

Gavin
  • Hi
    Here is a link to the Andalucian cycling federation. Andalucia is a big place and there is a lot of travelling to be done. I have done a few rounds of the road race champs as a master 40 and it is tough. There isn't any cat3/4 racing, you will be in your age group and that's it. Each part of Spain has it's own federation. PM if you would like some more info. You will be able to do sportives straight off but you will need a race license for the proper races, which most sportives are.

http://www.andaluciaciclismo.com/