A.Schleck

Comments

• morstar
    morstar Posts: 6,190
    dougzz wrote:
    It's worth remembering that Schleck carried the race to Bertie last year, I mean, how dull was it watching Bertie wheel suck Andy all the way up the Tourmalet. Andy's terrain is the high mountains, it's hardly been a week in which the race suited him, yet he's already taken time out of shifty little Bert.
    Cadel will almost certainly crack on one of the big mountain days, I hope not, but he's tended to struggle on the toughest stages, maybe Basso will liven things up.

In all fairness AC did attack AS lots more in that race than the other way round. By the time of the Tourmalet, AS had consistently matched AC's attacks and it was time for AC to simply match AS. It was a disappointing stage though.

I think chain gate was evidence of how little AS does attack. He couldn't co-ordinate controllling his physical attack with controlling his bike.

You say potato and all that but I'd also say that this year AC lost time rather than AS gaining it.

However, I'm not in the AC fanboy club. He has some big questions to answer. That's why I'm in the Cadel camp for this year.
  • gregster04
    gregster04 Posts: 1,754
    I'll admit it might have been worth AS having a go at Contador just to see if he is out of form but sadly there's very little chance of it for a week yet
  • dougzz
    dougzz Posts: 1,833
    I think AS does attack, but he doesn't have that sudden gear change, his attacks are more of a sustained increase in tempo. That of course lacks the drama of a sudden acceleration, but is impressive in it's own way.
  • calvjones
    calvjones Posts: 3,850
    dougzz wrote:
    It's worth remembering that Schleck carried the race to Bertie last year, I mean, how dull was it watching Bertie wheel suck Andy all the way up the Tourmalet. Andy's terrain is the high mountains, it's hardly been a week in which the race suited him, yet he's already taken time out of shifty little Bert.
    Cadel will almost certainly crack on one of the big mountain days, I hope not, but he's tended to struggle on the toughest stages, maybe Basso will liven things up.

I can't remember Cadel cracking if he hasn't been injured or ill.

Strava is not Zen.
  • dougzz
    calvjones wrote:
    That may be true, I'm frequently wrong in how I remember things, I just have him filed away mentally as someone that struggles when the big mountains come 3 days running.
  • calvjones
    calvjones Posts: 3,850
    dougzz wrote:
    calvjones wrote:
    That may be true, I'm frequently wrong in how I remember things, I just have him filed away mentally as someone that struggles when the big mountains come 3 days running.

He doesn't go up them quite as fast as the absolute best climbers like AC and (ahem) Rasmussen in their, um, pomp. But when he lost the Tour to Sastre he'd had a big crash, and of course there was his elbow last year.

I he can stay within 30s of Bertie and 1m30 of Schleck 'til the ITT, he could win it.

Strava is not Zen.
  • Bakunin
    Bakunin Posts: 868
    It may be that they just haven't shown it on TV, but it doesn't seem that the AC and AS are as chummy as they were last year.

Apparently the love fest is over.
  • Gingerflash
    Gingerflash Posts: 239
    So far, we've had some pan flat sprinters stages and a couple of lumpy stages without anything tougher than a 2nd cat climb. These stages are for the sprinters and the classics riders. they've been pretty entertaining but are never intended to affect GC, although the number of big riders lost to crashes is a shame.

Of course the Schlecks have been conservative. All the GC contenders have.
    The GC contest will start for real on Thursday.

I sometimes wonder if some posters have ever followed the Tour before or expectSchlecks, Contador, Evans etc to be battling for the mass sprints every day.
  • avoidingmyphd
    avoidingmyphd Posts: 1,154
    Chaingate plus 10 seconds in Avoriaz is hardly compelling evidence that Andy can put Contador to the sword in the high mountains. Am I forgetting something?
  • rick_chasey
    rick_chasey Posts: 75,661
    Chaingate plus 10 seconds in Avoriaz is hardly compelling evidence that Andy can put Contador to the sword in the high mountains. Am I forgetting something?

Contador looks rubbish.

His cadence is much slower than I've ever seen it, he looks like he can't get ontop of his gear whenever he attacks, he's pulling faces I've never seen anyone pull and he's always crashing.

Oh and he's already 2 minutes behind.

So he'll come 3rd or 2nd then.
  • cogidubnus
    cogidubnus Posts: 860
    I'm still waiting for Schleckdee and Schleckdum to crash. With so many incidents and their bike handling they are mighty lucky
  • LeicesterLad
    LeicesterLad Posts: 3,908
    Cogidubnus wrote:
    I'm still waiting for Schleckdee and Schleckdum to crash. With so many incidents and their bike handling they are mighty lucky

Bike handling? Whats that then? :lol:

Both turds.
  • avoidingmyphd
    avoidingmyphd Posts: 1,154

Contador looks rubbish.

His cadence is much slower than I've ever seen it, he looks like he can't get ontop of his gear whenever he attacks, he's pulling faces I've never seen anyone pull and he's always crashing.

Sure - I agree with that.
    I meant historically - has Andy ever properly distanced Contador in the mountains?
  • rick_chasey

Contador looks rubbish.

Sure - I agree with that.
    I meant historically - has Andy ever properly distanced Contador in the mountains?

I don't think so. Certainly on the Tourmalet it was close, but Contador showed who was boss on that, and looked like he had more in the tank, had he needed it.

That's why Andy dropping his chain was such a shame. He was going for it and being aggressive. Contador was caught napping. We'll never know...
  • Bakunin
    Bakunin Posts: 868
    Alberto looks cooked -- no team, too tired to avoid crashing.

He'll be out the back this week and not make the time cut. A seasoned steak can't even help him -- Giro was too hard this year to do the double.

It is only a matter of time before the Schlecks hit the deck, with Fabian then stopping the race.
  • frenchfighter
    frenchfighter Posts: 30,642

Contador looks rubbish.

If lightweight Andy rode the Giro Contador would have torched him. Had he rode the Giro to win and attempted the Tour he would be smoked by now.
    Contador is the Greatest
  • Gazzetta67
    Gazzetta67 Posts: 1,890

Contador looks rubbish.

If lightweight Andy rode the Giro Contador would have torched him. Had he rode the Giro to win and attempted the Tour he would be smoked by now.

+1 Shrek should do his talking on the bike for once and stop wheel hanging like a Leipheimer. he says Contador is nervous ? Oh reallyyyy I would be more nervous when your boss says were paying you loads and you aint won anything yet. LeoTURD trek are getting on my T*ts.
  • rick_chasey

Contador looks rubbish.

I'm not disputing that Contador's probably a better rider.

Schleck didn't ride the Giro, so the point is moot.
  • LeicesterLad
    LeicesterLad Posts: 3,908
    Gazzetta67 wrote:

Contador looks rubbish.

+1 Shrek should do his talking on the bike for once and stop wheel hanging like a Leipheimer. he says Contador is nervous ? Oh reallyyyy I would be more nervous when your boss says were paying you loads and you aint won anything yet. LeoTURD trek are getting on my T*ts.

Schlecks chit chat makes me laugh. AT HIM. Honestly, could a bloke on a bike be more boring? Id rather watch Tractor Pulling. Its alright for Andy he'll have his big brother holding his hand all the way to the finish line. ''oo which jersey do you want frank'' ''oo i don't mind andy, you chose'' ''honestly frank i wish you could have all the jerseys'' ''but i wish you could have them all andy'' Wheel sucking turds.

As for Leipheimer i nearly started a ''Laugh at Leipheimer'' thread when he kept falling off, couldn't have happened to a nicer bloke :wink:
  • dougzz

Sounds like you're preparing the ground for the demise of your precise true champion ;)
  • frenchfighter
    Either he wins and becomes legendary. Or else he doesn't and so be it - what he is attempting is extremely difficult and at least he has the balls to do it. He still remains a champion. And the Tour is not done - ok it doesnt look so great for him having suffered all this misfortune but we shall see. A weaker rider would have bailed long ago.
    Contador is the Greatest
  • frenchfighter
    Schleck has 1.40 into the best GC rider into the World who has crashed maybe 5 times and is suffering knee pain as a result. Added to the cummulative fatigue of a crushing Giro.

If he doesn't win this year he may as well give up.

This is his lucky year.
    Contador is the Greatest
  • dougzz
    I certainly don't doubt Bertie's mental strength, the '09 tour when he essentially lacked team support was a massive achievement, he showed then incredible determination and single minded strength. But to start the excuse that Andy didn't ride the Giro is pointless, Alberto screwed up his 'program' and got caught, he then started the procedural dance to avoid the consequences. That led him to the Giro, not some supreme cycling ambition. He rode the Giro because he thought the Tour was a no no, then he played the delay card and found the Tour an option. He rode the Giro and Vuelta in '08 again when he knew the Tour wasn't having him. Please don't pretend this was either 'balls' or a true and pure cycling ambition, it was hard calculated realism.
  • frenchfighter
    Wrong. His dream was to win all three in one year. He set out to ride both. He may even ride the Vuelta.
    Contador is the Greatest
  • redddraggon
    redddraggon Posts: 10,862
    dougzz wrote:
    I certainly don't doubt Bertie's mental strength, the '09 tour when he essentially lacked team support was a massive achievement, he showed then incredible determination and single minded strength. But to start the excuse that Andy didn't ride the Giro is pointless, Alberto screwed up his 'program' and got caught, he then started the procedural dance to avoid the consequences. That led him to the Giro, not some supreme cycling ambition. He rode the Giro because he thought the Tour was a no no, then he played the delay card and found the Tour an option. He rode the Giro and Vuelta in '08 again when he knew the Tour wasn't having him. Please don't pretend this was either 'balls' or a true and pure cycling ambition, it was hard calculated realism.

http://www.cyclingnews.com/news/contado ... if-cleared
    I like bikes...

Twitter
    Flickr
  • dougzz
    Me bad....... he would never lie
  • Doobz
    Doobz Posts: 2,800
    dougzz wrote:

That's a good point dude but if your legs are fukt then your legs are fukt.. There is not a great deal he can do about it unless he's on a pretty good program..

If he was not 1:40 down, I don't think people would be playing the Giro card as he would not have had to show his weakness so early and the field would be even.

In a way I am kinda just hoping that Bertie is completely out of form and that things will come right over the next few days. Possibly even "crying wolf" about his knee..

I would love to see Andy and Cuddle''s faces if Contador could do what he did in the giro by just riding away from people..
    cartoon.jpg
  • stokepa31
    stokepa31 Posts: 560
    I personally think Andy is riding a sensible race. He has his team with him and he is staying out of trouble. I have to say im with the school of thinking that too many GC riders are surrounding themselves with too many riders near the front and that is leading to a lot of problems but so far Andy is dong what needs to be done.

Im not a fan but there you go. the first week as born out by events is just about staying safe and keeping your powder dry in preparation for the big lumps to come.

Bertie's race is looking interesting. Im not writing him off yet but he looks to have some issues to overcome. I dont believe the medium mountain stages are a guide to his form so will reserve judgement. If his form is ok but his knee isnt then i expect we will see him holding station at his current deficit until the latter mountain stages where he may have recovered enough to try and put in a big effort.

For me, (in the absence of a brit contender) my personal hope is that Cadel comes through to win. I think it would be good for the sport.
    Burning Fat Not Rubber

Scott CR1
    Genesis IO ID
    Moda Canon
  • ddraver
    ddraver Posts: 26,662
    ^Fully agree with all of the above except that I am an Andy fan.....

What is the point on attacking on a small ramp, which is not his speciality, for a marginal gain of a few seconds vs a potential big loss if he blows up? He's there to win the race not to entertain "internet forum people" (Cavendish, 200?)
    We're in danger of confusing passion with incompetence
    - @ddraver
  • Gazzetta67
    Gazzetta67 Posts: 1,890
    ddraver wrote:
    ^Fully agree with all of the above except that I am an Andy fan.....

What is the point on attacking on a small ramp, which is not his speciality, for a marginal gain of a few seconds vs a potential big loss if he blows up? He's there to win the race not to entertain "internet forum people" (Cavendish, 200?)

Nonsense - We internet forum people are making an observation that Shrek has over a 90sec advantage over contador. Take the other day at Super Besse Contador put in a dig and what does shrek do follow the wheel when he could have counter attacked ...you say what's the point of only gaining a few seconds.Well given the fact that shrek is a shyte time triallist you would think any extra few seconds would be of help. The two shreks ride as if they are told to by teacher.