Going Dutch

walkingbootweather
walkingbootweather Posts: 2,443
edited July 2011 in Commuting chat
Been trying to convert friends and colleagues to cycle commuting and have been given power of veto of some proposed hideous BSO purchases. A couple of friends have taken a shine to Dutch Style bikes and have proposed a weekend in Amsterdam where they may 'see the sights', do a bit of 'window shopping', have some 'coffee' and 'cake', and perhaps try and pick up a couple of bikes.

Is this a ridiculous idea? Assuming they don't get too distracted, can anyone recommend where they might buy a Dutch style bike and is it likely to be any better or cheaper than what you can buy in the UK.

What could possibly go wrong? Should I go with them to spectate?
Nobody told me we had a communication problem

Comments

• ndru
    ndru Posts: 382
    I don't know where they could buy one (although I would recommend Workcycles) but when I bought my bakfiets, buying it in Amsterdam and having it shipped over to London cost me actually less then a worse speced model they offer in London, so...
  • rolf_f
    rolf_f Posts: 16,015
    ndru wrote:
    I don't know where they could buy one..

Why here of course!
    Faster than a tent.......
  • Blue Meanie
    Blue Meanie Posts: 495
    Stadfiets can be hilariously expensive, or just buy one from the 'guys that hang around street corners' for 50e.
    Watch out for funny sized wheels, Woods valves and spoke size 13.
    I've owned a Locomotief, Batavus and a Gazelle - absolutley great fun bikes, i like a coaster brake, dynamo and a bell that goes dring-dring.
    Definately recommend going along with your friends, lots of SCR over there 8)
    FCN16 - 1970 BSA Wayfarer

FCN4 - Fixie Inc
  • Agent57
    Agent57 Posts: 2,300
    I bought my wife a 3-spd Dutchie (http://www.dutchie.co.uk/bikes-dutch/), and she loves it. £300 which is more than a typical BSO, but not too expensive -- no idea how it compares to the price of an equivalent bike in the Netherlands though.
    MTB commuter / 531c commuter / CR1 Team 2009 / RockHopper Pro Disc / 10 mile PB: 25:52 (Jun 2014)
  • joelsim
    joelsim Posts: 7,552
    Why would you possibly want to stay in the UK?
  • Confusedboy
    Confusedboy Posts: 287
    Not a ridiculous idea at all-they get a weekend in the 'Dam out of it. Meanie, you're not advocating buying stolen bikes are you?

If one of you has access to a van, this will be the biz for getting them home from Harwich in.

But, and given that you say thay the intention is commuting, if your friends are going to ride these behemoths anywhere there may be even a distant view of a hill, I would be sure that you at least forewarn them so that when they start to moan about the weight you will be absolved of blame. Aside from the weight issue, these sorts of 'baks' have a lot going for them; usually well made, easy to maintain, comfortable to ride, and come complete with a sort of retro, cafe-poseur, cachet if that is your bag. Also worth mentioning that the Dutch are a laid-back, easy-going lot and seldom cycle at more than about 8mph; most of thier much-admired infrastructure would be useless at the sort of speeds we demand.

And, of course, you must remind them that any bike purchased over there will be righthand drive. The best time to mention this would be during a 'coffee' break. They are newbies, and will fall for this, and it is your absolute duty to mess with their heads........
  • rolf_f
    rolf_f Posts: 16,015
    If one of you has access to a van, this will be the biz for getting them home from Harwich in...

Why would they need a van and why would they want to go to Harwich? I'd have thought just riding the bikes onto the Amsterdam - Newcastle ferry would be a lot simpler and cheaper!
    Faster than a tent.......
  • Thanks guys,

If it happens I guess the thing to do would be to catch the ferry from either Newcastle or Hull and use PT to get into Amsterdam Then simply ride the bikes back. Looks like a bit of a hike from Amsterdam to the ferry port so may need to consider sticking bikes on the train if they are only suitable for up to 8mph.,

If I went I'd be tempted to just use my bike and ferry, but then I can probably go a bit faster and further.

Paying near £1000 would be out of the question, but £300-£400 makes the venture potentially very interesting.

Would definitely mention the 'right-hand' drive thing. At least one of them would be convinced by that.
    Nobody told me we had a communication problem
  • Agent57
    Agent57 Posts: 2,300
    You'd probably be better saying left-hand drive; since right-hand drive is what we have over here. O_o (And chances are it would indeed be the left brake lever cabled up to the front brake, I reckon -- back brake probably being a coaster).
    MTB commuter / 531c commuter / CR1 Team 2009 / RockHopper Pro Disc / 10 mile PB: 25:52 (Jun 2014)
  • Robstar24
    Robstar24 Posts: 173
    Also worth mentioning that the Dutch are a laid-back, easy-going lot and seldom cycle at more than about 8mph; most of thier much-admired infrastructure would be useless at the sort of speeds we demand.

complete rubbish. I am currently living in NL and have done nearly 350km this weekend across the country. the separate cycle lanes are a real dream and you can go at quite some speed once you get out of built up areas. to all intents and purposes they are separate roads just for bikes. If the UK got its head of its collective arse and put in some proper dutch style infrastructure it would be a great thing.

unfortunately we have councils that put in half arsed efforts at bike lanes, and a cycling lobby (ie CTC) that claim that segregated bike lanes are a bad thing), and tedious motoring lobby that claims any work that isn't widening roads for cars is war on the motorist.

here just about EVERYONE cycles in some form, drivers give way by law to cyclists and drivers are far more aware of cyclists in general. my dutch colleagues are somewhat bemused when i tell them that cycling and provision of cycling infrastructure is a semi-political issue in the UK. for the dutch it's just common sense.

FYI bikes with coaster brakes are not legal in the UK, the dutch get away with them because of the notable lack of hills.
  • Confusedboy
    Confusedboy Posts: 287
    Rolf F wrote:
    If one of you has access to a van, this will be the biz for getting them home from Harwich in...

Why would they need a van and why would they want to go to Harwich? I'd have thought just riding the bikes onto the Amsterdam - Newcastle ferry would be a lot simpler and cheaper!

Sorry Rolf, I'm being a bit parochial and unable to visualise the journey from the viewpoint of anyone living in the North or even Midlands (I live in Cardiff). They need the van to get the new bikes home from whatever North Sea port they are using. They may want to consider flying, as most airlines carry bikes free; you have to remove pedals, turn handlebars, and deflate tyres as the bike will be carried in the unpressurised cargo space, but they still need a van to get the bikes home from the airport.

I stand by my view that Dutch bikes, while comfortable, practical, and built to withstand a direct hit from a 50 megaton nuclear device, are heavy and ridden by the Dutch in what to British eyes looks like a somewhat sedate manner. There is nothing at all wrong with this, but if you were recommending a bike for potential use in the UK as a commuter over any distance or where there were hills, especially for newbies, there are other options to be considered