Arran - full circuit or String Road?

crescent
crescent Posts: 1,201
edited September 2011 in Sportives/audaxes/training rides
I intend to visit Arran over the next few weeks and either cycle all the way round or, aternatively, cycle to the north and return via the String Road. Just wondered if anyone had done both/either and what was the best to tackle. Ideally I would like to do both and probably will some day but at the moment I only intend to hop over for the day and will probably only get a chance to do one or the other this year. Any comments welcomed.

Cheers
Bianchi ImpulsoBMC Teammachine SLR02 01Trek Domane AL3“When I see an adult on a bicycle, I do not despair for the future of the human race. “ ~H.G. Wells Edit - "Unless it's a BMX"

Comments

• djcozzer
    djcozzer Posts: 36
    Hi there

Depends on your level of fitness I suppose. I've done the circuit of Arran and can complete it in under 3.5 hours.(just!) So you could get the 07.55 over and the 13.50 back and be home in time for strictly come dancing. If you want to cut through to Brodick from Blacwaterfoot via the string road you could knock an hour or so off of that. I haven't been over the string road for a long time but recall the state of the road was really poor so you might want to bear that in mind but the climbs and scenery are spectacular but I would say that about all of the island. The climb up through Glen Sannox is also quite rough if as you say you are intending to ride north but I think easier to negotiate on the way up rather than the way down.

There are quite a few steep descents with hairpin like turns at the bottom of them so take care. This year a rider took a slip on one and broke a couple of ribs and punctured his lung. There are no emergency services on the island and the ambulance came from the mainland to take him to Kilmarnock. Not trying to be a harbinger of doom just watch some of those bends.

Anyway get over there and have a great ride whichever route you choose!! :)
  • crescent
    Thanks for taking the time to reply and the warning about the state of the roads. Few things spoil a ride more than poor road surface :(

I won't be setting out to break any records so I'm confident I will be able to tackle either route. At 44, my sense of self preservation is quite high so there will be no heroics on the way down but like many I am a bit masochistic when it comes to climbs, so I'll be looking forward to a few challenges on the way up. I just wondered which route was the most enjoyable. I like the idea of doing the full circuit but had heard good things about the String Road in terms of scenery, challenge etc. Either way, it sounds like a good day out.

Cheers
    Bianchi ImpulsoBMC Teammachine SLR02 01Trek Domane AL3“When I see an adult on a bicycle, I do not despair for the future of the human race. “ ~H.G. Wells Edit - "Unless it's a BMX"
  • Hi , I cycled the Arran figure of Eight yesterday which is about 76 miles and according to runkeeper is about 7,400 ft of climbing.(although gps is dodgy on the island to say the least)
    It took me 5 hrs on the dot and includes the string road twice.
    The string road has been resurfaced and is in a fabulous condition.
    The descent down to Brodick is great ( 55.6 mph ! :lol: ) its worth the climb to do it.
    Its 56 miles to do the loop of Arran.
    Heading clockwise from brodick is my prefered route although the descent down the hill at the north of the island is terrible due to the state of the road.pothole central :!: take care!
    There is an early ferry at 7 am during the summer so there is plenty of time to do any of the routes.
    Hope this helps.
    john
  • crescent
    Thanks for that info. I'll play it by ear when i get there but from the sounds of it the String Road will definitely feature in my route one way or another.
    Cheers, much appreciated.
  • Chris James
    Chris James Posts: 1,040
    I did the full circuit a couple of years ago. It was a warm day and I was a bit short of food and water(sorted out by double ice cream at Whiting Bay!)

I prefered the north of the island. The south was very undulating with fewer views, so I felt i wasn't making much progress.

IIRC the north and the String would only make for quite a short route though?

The roads were generally quite rough for 23mm tyres, I'd fit 28mm next time.
  • crescent
    Cycled the full clockwise circuit today and thoroughly enjoyed the whole experience. Took me a couple of minutes over four hours in the saddle, about 4.5 hrs in total with a couple of short breaks thrown in. Surprised by the south of the island, very undulating with as many downs as ups, some of them very sharp and tricky. The climb out of Lochranza was tough but very much worth the effort for the run down through the glen. Agree about the state of the roads though, a mixture of rough roads and watering eyes at 45mph is not healthy.
    All in all, one of the most enjoyable days I have spent on my bike. Thoroughly recommended :D

Cheers
  • Omar Little
    Omar Little Posts: 2,010
    Love going over to Arran, just wish some of the roads were a bit better! - the sannox - lochranza hill in particular, the rest i can live with but that is a bit dangerous.

Ideal day trip for those near enough to get the ferry. Down to the ferry, have a 2nd breakfast on the boat looking forward to the days cycling ahead. Last time i was over there was about 80 other cyclists going over for the day!
  • Arran is great, a fantastic training ride love it and hate it especially the southside of the island. Favourite route is a figure of B, straight up and over the String with a lovely new surface I have beaten my UK land speed record ! Then round the south of the island, quick coffee in Brodick at the co-op round the top of the island and at the golf course at Machrie and then up and over the String again
    http://connect.garmin.com/activity/80805320

I have never left the island in any condition other than knackered.
    Love it