Cav's lead out train

jim453
jim453 Posts: 1,360
edited July 2011 in Pro race
Watching the finish yesterday I was struck by how well Greipel finished.

He had no help to speak of and had to go extremely early, yet he wasn't a million miles away from hanging on.

Cav, on the other hand, gets delivered to position A1 by eight other riders then turns on the gas for the last seven or eight seconds.

I like Cav, don't get me wrong, and he's always the first to play down his own achievement and highlight the work of his team but it must be disheartening for other sprinters. Almost like it's not a level playing field.

I thought Greipel might have had the legs yesterday but it's too big an ask to do it on his own. He looked sick that Cav had beaten him again.

What i'm basically asking is

Do you think Greipel/Pettachi/etc etc would win as many as Cav if they were stuck on the back of the HTC train?

Comments

• geebee2
    geebee2 Posts: 248
    I think yesterday Cavendish deliberately did just enough to win - he had plenty in hand.

Basically he waited until someone came level then opened up his sprint.

That's sensible - he wants to get to Paris, so needs to conserve his legs.

As for whether Greipel/Pettachi would win as many - probably not - not all of Cav's wins are from a big lead out. It just makes his wins more certain and makes it harder for other riders to knock him out of position.
  • graeme_s-2
    graeme_s-2 Posts: 3,382
    Petacchi was right on Cav's wheel yesterday when Cav kicked out from behind Renshaw. At no point did Petacchi look like he was going to come round Cavendish.

Now imagine if Petacchi had been sat at the end of an 8-man lead out train, and Cavendish had been sat right on his wheel 150 metres from the line. Who would you put your money on in that situation? Mine would still be on Cav.
  • Graculus
    Graculus Posts: 107
    I was impressed by Griepel too. However, Cav was in exactly the same position on stage 5; his train had disintegrated and he had 10 or more sprinters ahead of him - but he still won!
  • tremayne
    tremayne Posts: 378
    totally agree with earlier comment about the missile not needing to fully launch yesterday. Not like it was still in the silo, but from overhead shot, you could just see that he was judging what the gorilla had to give, and matched him - plus a little. No way on earth was Cav at full tilt yesterday - fact. :o)

Gutted about Wiggins. Very relieved our other main hope is delivering big style.

Lastly - given he'd literally only just that second got told about Brad (in the live interview) it was touching just how much it affected Cav. You could sense his disappointment - and some very nice things were said (off the cuff - not time to think).
  • iainf72
    iainf72 Posts: 15,784
    Cavendish is quite versitile, but he does best coming off a fast lead out. In those circumstances he's nearly unbeatable. Other riders are different.

I'd not read too much into Petacchi, he's in rubbish form
    Fckin' Quintana … that creep can roll, man.
  • jim453
    jim453 Posts: 1,360
    In fact, Cav's immediate post race interviews are always good value.

What is he on about?
  • RichN95.
    RichN95. Posts: 27,241
    They both have had lead out trains like that.

Petacchi had it at Fassa Bortolo from 2003-2005 and he won 37 GT stages (helped by very flat Giros with only McEwen as opposition). I don't think he's as good as that now, though.

Greipel had the HTC train and won lots of races, but his strike rate in the bigger races wasn't nearly as good as Cav's. He has a tendency to lose his team's wheels and get a bit lost.
    Twitter: @RichN95
  • inkyfingers
    inkyfingers Posts: 4,400
    I think it's simple;

Cav without a lead out train - bloody good
    Cav with a lead out train - almost unbeatable

He can clearly win without a lead out train, but the train helps him be better positioned in the bunch and stops anyone else getting into such a good position. Without a train there is more danger of him getting boxed in or ending up having to come from too far back.
    "I have a lovely photo of a Camargue horse but will not post it now" (Frenchfighter - July 2013)
  • takethehighroad
    takethehighroad Posts: 6,811
    It goes back to what he said at the pre Tour press day.

If it's big boulevard finish where his lead out can drill it and not be challenged, they're nigh on unbeatable.

But when it's a technical finish, a lot of it comes down to Renshaw and Cav to find the right wheels.

He said as well, the stage on Wednesday was him at full gas but he usually likes to win with a lot in hand, at a canter if you will
  • mroli
    mroli Posts: 3,622
    +1 - Cav says that with most of his sprints, he tries to win expending as little energy as possible and it is only in Paris where he gives it everything. He says on 5, it was a more brutal uphill finish than he usually wins on and had to give it all to fend of Gilbert, but normal service I reckon on 7. He knows just how fast he is and how fast his competitors are and what he's got to do to win.
  • rebs
    rebs Posts: 891
    Think Cav plays a very dangerous game when he has hte perfect leadout. He often waits and waits till he see's someone coming behind him before he sprints. It looks very like Greipel had to go so much more deeper then Cav for the line.

Not seen much of Renshaw having to do much in the sprints where as Martin doesn't seem like he wants to be in the leadout. Eisel doesn't look like he has the pace to string everyone out anymore. I really do miss the train of 2009 :(

A good way to measure how each guy is spring will be the last stage where everyone goes full on all or nothing. Last 2 years Cav has just blown everyone away. Last years last TFD stage is one of my favs. Looks like a 2 horse race then you just see Cav blast past. Was great to see.
  • alan_sherman
    alan_sherman Posts: 1,157
    Greipel is good. Cav has respect for Greipel's ability (read Cav's book) but can beat him. Good for Gripel for taking the race to Cav though
  • I may be wrong but HTC seem to be starting the lead out earlier than I have noticed before in past races. I think thats why the train doesn't seem as polished as in previous years.
    Bianchi. There are no alternatives only compromises!
    I RIDE A KONA CADABRA -would you like to come and have a play with my magic link?
  • nferrar
    nferrar Posts: 2,511
    Main benefit he gets is no last kilo attacks to worry about IMO, he's proved before he doesn't need his train to win in a 200m flat sprint
  • ozzzyosborn206
    ozzzyosborn206 Posts: 1,340
    if other sprinters were as good as cav or even better they would have teams built around them and their own lead out, thing is all the team managers know cav is the best sprinter and so focus on other things aswel as the sprints