If anyone doubts how tough road racing is....

raymondo60
raymondo60 Posts: 735
edited July 2011 in Pro race
This year is proving to be a hugely tough year for road racing. We've suffered a death in the Giro - in how many other sports do people actually die? - and the recent crashes and retirements in the Tour de France show just how dangerous cycling can really be. Wiggins was bad enough, but the reports and videos on Chris Horner and Tom Boonen were disurbing to say the least. It proves how much respect these guys deserve. and how tough they really are. It's scary really. Don't know about you but the chances of me getting killed in my job are pretty remote! Regards and God Bless to them all.........
Raymondo

"Let's just all be really careful out there folks!"

Comments

• BelgianBeerGeek
    BelgianBeerGeek Posts: 5,226
    I'm with you Raymondo. Lots or people diss the Tour as being (insert prejudice here) but I have been following from day one this year (and for every year) and my only thought is "these guys are tough mother flippers".

I have always enjoyed pro bike racing and it is one tough sport. Watching Cav sprint for the finish today in the pub I heard someone say "I could sprint like that!" :lol: What, after 5 and a half hours racing you could? And then wake up in the morning and do it again, and the day after?
    Some people just don't get it. They think footballers work hard for a living, after all.
    Ecrasez l’infame
  • raymondo60
    After the last stage, I rest my case!! This has been an incredibly dangerous Tour - whats going on?????
    Raymondo

• Aggieboy
    Aggieboy Posts: 3,996
    Some on here commute daily and don't get paid for it.
    "There's a shortage of perfect breasts in this world, t'would be a pity to damage yours."
  • BelgianBeerGeek
    BelgianBeerGeek Posts: 5,226
    No, but it's saving me a fortune in diesel.
    Ecrasez l’infame
  • Surfr
    Surfr Posts: 243
    I'm a 4th cat. Some on here would have you believe that this puts me in more danger than any continental pro team rider.

Seriously though, I think organisers are trying to meet the expectations of an ever growing audience and for the teams, the competition seems to be ever more important and risks are being taken more frequently due to the risk/reward element. Accidents will always happen though when traveling at up to 65MPH on 22mm of rubber in a lycra skinsuit. That's road racing and it'll not change drastically.
  • Pross
    Pross Posts: 43,205
    I'm with you Raymondo. Lots or people diss the Tour as being (insert prejudice here) but I have been following from day one this year (and for every year) and my only thought is "these guys are tough mother flippers".

I have always enjoyed pro bike racing and it is one tough sport. Watching Cav sprint for the finish today in the pub I heard someone say "I could sprint like that!" :lol: What, after 5 and a half hours racing you could? And then wake up in the morning and do it again, and the day after?
    Some people just don't get it. They think footballers work hard for a living, after all.

How old are you?! :shock: :wink:
  • rick_chasey
    rick_chasey Posts: 75,661
    Pross wrote:

How old are you?! :shock: :wink:

Must have thought riders were going soft when they introduced derailers.
  • raymondo60
    Aggieboy wrote:
    Some on here commute daily and don't get paid for it.

As do I Aggie
    Raymondo