Team Garmin strategy (or the lack of it)

littleking02
littleking02 Posts: 132
edited July 2011 in Pro race
I rember when the tour started j. Vaughters saying they will not go for the green jersey. And seen that they don't have enough riders to compete for GC, wouldn't it be ideal to win the points jersey?
ITS BY DOING WHAT EVER, THAT YOU BECOME WHOEVER!

Comments

• TRbike
    TRbike Posts: 27
    two stage wins and nearly a week in yellow, whatever happens fom here they have had a successful tour.
  • RichN95.
    RichN95. Posts: 27,241
    They do have riders to compete for GC - three riders who have been in the top ten in GTs. Hushovd and Farrar's strategy is to win stages (which Garmin hadn't ever perviously done).
    Twitter: @RichN95
  • LangerDan
    LangerDan Posts: 6,132
    Probably too late to change their strategy now. Hushovd is unlikley to regain it, especially as there are riders who are better sprinters (Cav, Rojas) or better baroudeurs (Gilbert) at the same points level. Its probably too late to start getting someone else from Garmin into the mix now - Farrar is one and a half "stage wins" adrift of the leaders now, not to mention that working to keep Thor in yellow for the week will have sapped their energy.
    'This week I 'ave been mostly been climbing like Basso - Shirley Basso.'
  • littleking02
    littleking02 Posts: 132
    TDF over by the weekend for Garmin then?
    ITS BY DOING WHAT EVER, THAT YOU BECOME WHOEVER!
  • LangerDan
    LangerDan Posts: 6,132
    Doubt it. As Rich pointed out, they have 3 good GT riders, plus you couldn't rule out another stage win.

Even if it was "TDF over", they've achieved far more than most teams will over the 3 weeks.
    'This week I 'ave been mostly been climbing like Basso - Shirley Basso.'
  • RichN95.
    RichN95. Posts: 27,241
    With Hesjedal, Vande Velde and Danielson, they've got a decent chance in the team competition too.
    Twitter: @RichN95
  • milton50
    milton50 Posts: 3,856
    Don't count out Millar for the individual time trial either. He usually tries to save energy through the mountains (when there's no real GC chance for the team) for one big final TT effort.
  • iainf72
    iainf72 Posts: 15,784
    I think most teams would kill for a week in yellow.

The green jersey is a bit of a novelty race.
    Fckin' Quintana … that creep can roll, man.