Shimano Rear Hub - Repairable?

shm_uk
shm_uk Posts: 683
edited July 2011 in MTB workshop & tech
Last night I somehow managed to damage my rear hub to such an extent that it's unrideable.

I have been meaning to service the cup and cone bearings etc for a while ... may have left it one ride too late :oops:

Basically, the nuts etc on the non-drive side have jammed extremely tight such that I can not for the life of me undo anything to get at the bearings or remove the axle.

I'm thinking my only option is to cut the axle :shock:

Are spares available for Shimano hubs?

(I'll need an axle, bearings, plus the various nuts/washers/seals ...)

Comments

• grim168
    grim168 Posts: 482
    Spares are available but i found it cheaper to buy a new hub and swap the bits when i needed a new freehub
  • njee20
    njee20 Posts: 9,613
    Agree with grim - you can swap absolutely everything from a donor hub (including the 'cup' although Shimano don't tell you that). Unless it's an XTR it's usually the most cost effective method.
  • supersonic
    supersonic Posts: 82,708
    DO you have the right tools ie the correct size cone spanners?
  • The Rookie
    The Rookie Posts: 27,812
    If the drive side nuts are stiff, undo the non drive side and pull it out the drive side. Usually people assemble the drive side onto the axle and put it through and add the non drive side cone and locknut, I usually use a dot of loctite on the drive side.

Simon
    Currently riding a Whyte T130C, X0 drivetrain, Magura Trail brakes converted to mixed wheel size (homebuilt wheels) with 140mm Fox 34 Rhythm and RP23 suspension. 12.2Kg.
  • shm_uk
    supersonic wrote:
    DO you have the right tools ie the correct size cone spanners?

Heh, yeh, I have the tools and stuff.

I haven't worked out exactly what happened, I just can not get the cone nuts to loosen.
    I think the axle threads have been damaged, maybe stripped.

Re. previous replies: I hadn't thought of using a donor hub... that would avoid having a wheel rebuilt on a new hub.
  • supersonic
    supersonic Posts: 82,708
    I think a lot of people mistakenly just try and undo the locknut, whilst holding the opposite. That cone spanner is essential.
  • shm_uk
    If the drive side nuts are stiff, undo the non drive side and pull it out the drive side. Usually people assemble the drive side onto the axle and put it through and add the non drive side cone and locknut, I usually use a dot of loctite on the drive side.

Simon

Annoyingly, It's the non-drive side nuts that are stuck, hence my last-resort plan to cut the axle & replace the parts.

Looks like this is my best (only?) option, and rebuild using a donor hub.

Cheaper than rebuilding onto a whole new hub though, or buying a new wheel.
  • nicklouse
    nicklouse Posts: 50,675
    so two cone spanners and unlock them.
    "Do not follow where the path may lead, Go instead where there is no path, and Leave a Trail."
    Parktools :?:SheldonBrown