Mock The Week

CiB
CiB Posts: 6,098
edited July 2011 in Commuting chat
Anyone see it last night? Andy Parsons did a little routine about the Olympic road cycling next year, and as he started I though 'here we go - red lights, pavement riders etc, all the old clichés to have a go at us', and he didn't. Gawd bless im, he described this vision of Olympic cyclists being left-hooked, doored and generally thwarted by drivers pulling out and having them over the bonnet.

Well done Parsons. I like him anyway, like MTW too. Good to see a change from the usual anti b0ll0x, and also good not to see Chris Addison on last night's edition with his terminally dull leftist claptrap.

Comments

• asprilla
    asprilla Posts: 8,440
    Yeah, that was a jaw on the floor moment for me to.

Pity iot was recorded before yesterday's breaking news, will be interesting to see if they change the theme tune for next week. Perhaps 'Here comes The Sun'.
    Mud - Genesis Vapour CCX
    Race - Fuji Norcom Straight
    Sun - Cervelo R3
    Winter / Commute - Dolan ADX
  • motopatter
    motopatter Posts: 179
    IIRC Hugh Dennis is quite a keen cyclist ?
    wave your willy here !!!! :)
  • asprilla
    asprilla Posts: 8,440
    He did the Etape du Tour last year, I guess that counts.

Edit; not last year, it was 2007.
    Mud - Genesis Vapour CCX
    Race - Fuji Norcom Straight
    Sun - Cervelo R3
    Winter / Commute - Dolan ADX
  • cjcp
    cjcp Posts: 13,345
    Asprilla wrote:
    He did the Etape du Tour last year, I guess that counts.

Edit; not last year, it was 2007.

Saw him at the start of the Magnificat in 2008, too.
    FCN 2-4.

"What happens when the hammer goes down, kids?"
    "It stays down, Daddy."
    "Exactly."
  • Drysuitdiver
    Drysuitdiver Posts: 474
    I too had a chin hitting the floor moment. well done to AP
    Veni Vidi cyclo I came I saw I cycled
    exercise.png
  • unscarred
    unscarred Posts: 208
    Next week's is the end-of-series clips-show, and Dara has been on Twitter grumbling about how they've missed the biggest story of the year so far.

He also said they won't change the theme tune so twenty years from now when we're watchng it on Dave we can explain it to our kids.
    FCN 6 in the week on the shiny new single speed.

FCN 3 at the weekend - struggling to do it justice!
  • MonkeyMonster
    MonkeyMonster Posts: 4,629
    heh heh, i've got tickeys for the 27th september recording :D
    Le Cannon [98 Cannondale M400] [FCN: 8]
    The Mad Monkey [2013 Hoy 003] [FCN: 4]
  • thecrofter
    thecrofter Posts: 734
    Not quite as good since they binned Frankie Boyle, nearly as tame as "Have I got News for you" now.
    You've no won the Big Cup since 1902!
  • noodles71
    noodles71 Posts: 153
    thecrofter wrote:
    Not quite as good since they binned Frankie Boyle, nearly as tame as "Have I got News for you" now.

+1 on that one.... And maybe a bonus point for mentioning Russell Howard is missed too.
  • t4tomo
    t4tomo Posts: 2,643
    Ah but they still have Milton Jones, who is pure quality.
    Bianchi Infinito CV
    Bianchi Via Nirone 7 Ultegra
    Brompton S Type
    Carrera Vengeance Ultimate Ltd
    Gary Fisher Aquila '98
    Front half of a Viking Saratoga Tandem
  • jamesco
    jamesco Posts: 687
    thecrofter wrote:
    I got given a ticket to Boyle's last tour and reckon he's shot his bolt. His previous tour was plenty nasty, but he was still funny; not this time.

Anyone else reckon that since Boyle's gone the other regulars have stepped their game up a bit?
  • CiB
    CiB Posts: 6,098
    jamesco wrote:
    thecrofter wrote:
    I got given a ticket to Boyle's last tour and reckon he's shot his bolt. His previous tour was plenty nasty, but he was still funny; not this time.

Anyone else reckon that since Boyle's gone the other regulars have stepped their game up a bit?
    Yeah I'd go for that. It is a lot laugh-out-loud funnier now, rather than being how-far-can-FB-go-this-time? On balance, it's a better show. +1 on Milton Jones too. He's class. And the others get more of a look-in though without FB.
  • rebs
    rebs Posts: 891
    To be honest Boyle was becoming more predictable and boring. I do like Boyle but think the show is better without him now. True some of the comidiens are hit and miss. Last nights show was very good though!
  • shouldbeinbed
    shouldbeinbed Posts: 2,660
    + lots on Milton Jones, superb

but Mickey Flanagan is getting to be a bit regular for my liking, he's just not funny.
  • Agent57
    Agent57 Posts: 2,300
    Mock the Week has a round that reminds me of Whose Line is it Anyway?; which was pretty funny for the most part, apart from Tony Slattery, who tried desperately hard, but was as funny as cancer.
    MTB commuter / 531c commuter / CR1 Team 2009 / RockHopper Pro Disc / 10 mile PB: 25:52 (Jun 2014)
  • motopatter
    Agent57 wrote:
    Mock the Week has a round that reminds me of Whose Line is it Anyway?; which was pretty funny for the most part, apart from Tony Slattery, who tried desperately hard, but was as funny as Baldrick.

I have made your post more correct and less offensive
  • Agent57
    What's particularly offensive about saying "was as funny as cancer"? The point is that cancer isn't funny, and was chosen to illustrate exactly how unfunny Slattery was. But Baldrick was funny, so your "correction" is rubbish.
    MTB commuter / 531c commuter / CR1 Team 2009 / RockHopper Pro Disc / 10 mile PB: 25:52 (Jun 2014)
  • motopatter
    Agent57 wrote:
    What's particularly offensive about saying "was as funny as cancer"? The point is that cancer isn't funny. But Baldrick was, so your "correction" is rubbish.

IMO it's not something appropriate to throw into a light hearted remark as a simile to someones funnyness. I am sure I am not alone. Internet is a big place so I'm not going to get at all bothered about it.

out of interest, have you or a member of your family been affected terminally by cancer or another disease?
  • Agent57
    motopatter wrote:
    out of interest, have you or a member of your family been affected terminally by cancer or another disease?

Yes, although I don't see how it's relevant. Perhaps you can explain its relevance.

Since you're interested in the various diseases and ailments in my family; my mum got diagnosed with breast cancer last week. Two people in my family have died or are dying of Alzheimer's, a good friend of mine died of cancer within months of her diagnosis. My dad died of a stroke at 59, my grandmother had a stroke as well, and I've got a DVT which suggests I have a hereditary predisposition to clots, raising my own risk of stroke or pulmonary embolism. I could list a lot more family members with some problem or other, such as Parkinson's, depression (to the extent of suicide), alcoholism (again, causing death).

I don't think cancer issomething that we need to pussyfoot around for fear of offending the oversensitive.
  • motopatter
    didn't need your extended list buddy, it was a yes or no answer.

And I did say it was 'out of interest', so I attached no relevance.

You can post what you like for all I care, and so can I, offensive to the sensitive or not. I did use the analogy of 'sweating like a rapist' about myself :lol: I suppose if I had been personally affected by rape then I wouldn't have chosen those comments - dunno? I'm just glad I am not really a rapist :roll:
  • Agent57
    Could be worse. You could be sweating like a rapist with cancer. :shock:
  • motopatter
    Agent57 wrote:
    Could be worse. You could be sweating like a rapist with cancer. :shock:

yeah cancer of the c0ck would be bad.
  • Drysuitdiver
    motopatter wrote:
    Agent57 wrote:
    What's particularly offensive about saying "was as funny as cancer"? The point is that cancer isn't funny. But Baldrick was, so your "correction" is rubbish.

IMO it's not something appropriate to throw into a light hearted remark as a simile to someones funnyness. I am sure I am not alone. Internet is a big place so I'm not going to get at all bothered about it.

yes , and i don't get all huffy about the use of the word cancer in this way. what really got me riled about the use of the word was when "snap" used it in rythym is a dancer in the line " i am as seriuos as cancer when i say rythym is a dancer"
    exercise.png
  • Drysuitdiver
    Agent57 wrote:
    motopatter wrote:

Yes, although I don't see how it's relevant. Perhaps you can explain its relevance.

Since you're interested in the various diseases and ailments in my family; my mum got diagnosed with breast cancer last week. Two people in my family have died or are dying of Alzheimer's, a good friend of mine died of cancer within months of her diagnosis. My dad died of a stroke at 59, my grandmother had a stroke as well, and I've got a DVT which suggests I have a hereditary predisposition to clots, raising my own risk of stroke or pulmonary embolism. I could list a lot more family members with some problem or other, such as Parkinson's, depression (to the extent of suicide), alcoholism (again, causing death).

I don't think cancer issomething that we need to pussyfoot around for fear of offending the oversensitive.

you don't die of Alzheimers , you die with it. my mum is suffering from this terrible illness and has been for several years.

if you are up for it next year I am going to ride C to C whitby to workington or vice versa for the alzheimers society. your welcome to join my team.
    exercise.png
  • motopatter
    huffy

I was a huffy :lol: teenager, now I am a moody cnut according to the wife :lol:
  • Drysuitdiver
    motopatter wrote:
    huffy

i think she may be wife as well as thats what mine says quite often
    exercise.png
  • motopatter
    motopatter wrote:
    huffy

i think she may be wife as well as thats what mine says quite often

or we are dopplegangers 8)
  • bails87
    bails87 Posts: 12,998
    So....is cancer funny or not?

What about pisces?
    MTB/CX

"As I said last time, it won't happen again."
  • motopatter
    bails87 wrote: