160 to 203mm disc swap

Rybes
Rybes Posts: 110
edited July 2011 in MTB workshop & tech
mornin all. been thinkin about swappin to bigger discs on my bike as i seem to be warmin mine up a bit to quick and gettin brake fade. is it possible to go from a 160 upto a 203 ? ive been lookin for post mount adaptors but can only find is IS to post, not post to post as id need. also any adice on discs to go for ?
cheers for your help
2004 cinder cone, grey
madison prime seat
3 inch handle bar risers
bg comfort grips
lidl seat pack
diamond back pedals
2009 reba sl's
more to come......

Comments

• nicklouse
    nicklouse Posts: 50,675
    yes you can there are adaptors for any fork brake combo.

just get what you need and the right sized disc.
    "Do not follow where the path may lead, Go instead where there is no path, and Leave a Trail."
    Parktools :?:SheldonBrown
  • Anonymous
    Anonymous Posts: 79,667
    Normal standard discs are generally the best option. Avoid flashy rotors, and floating rotors.

It is entirely possible to switch to 203mm discs - provided your fork can take them. Some forks are only warrantied to 180mm.
    Most modern callipers these days are post mount, which bolt onto an adapter. The adapter (usually) is the bit that is either IS or Post.

Here's an adpater to stick a post mount calliper onto a post mount fork, to accept a 203mm disc
    http://www.chainreactioncycles.com/Mode ... elID=13747

As for the rear? hmm, bit of a tricky one. Some frames are limited by space, some by structural integrity. Without having first hand knowledge of your bike, I honestly couldn't say what it will take.
    But, the front brake is the one that does all the work anyway, so upgrade the front, and you can leave the rear as is.
  • Rybes
    Rybes Posts: 110
    cheers for the link yeehaa. its now on my shopping list :D so you say the front brake does most of the work ? hmmmmm looks like ill have to change my ridin style. ill have to learn how not to fly over the bars :shock:
    hopefully i wont run into any waranty issues with the forks, there 2009 reba sl's so im guessin any waranty has expired. just so i know, why would larger discs void a warranty ? would it be somthin to do with the brakin forces effect on the steerin stem ?
    2004 cinder cone, grey
    madison prime seat
    3 inch handle bar risers
    bg comfort grips
    lidl seat pack
    diamond back pedals
    2009 reba sl's
    more to come......
  • Anonymous
    The larger brake disc puts an increased force on the fork leg, and on the calliper mounts themselves.

As for the front brake, learn to use it - it really is your friend. Brace your arms to stop yourself being flung forwards, and if braking really hard, shift your weight rearwards to compensate, and you can brake really very VERY hard without flipping the bike.
    In fact, the bike itself is highly unlikely to flip, it is almost always the rider slumping forwards during deceleration that causes the bike to flip.
  • cooldad
    cooldad Posts: 32,599
    I reckon 99% of the time the front wheel will wash out if you brake too hard. Never actually seen anyone go over the bars under braking on levelish ground unless they were dicking around.
    I don't do smileys.

There is no secret ingredient - Kung Fu Panda

London Calling on Facebook

Parktools
  • Anonymous
    But to do that, you have to lock the wheel, which isn't actually all that likely under most conditions.