GS Metro RR - Sunday 7th August 2011

celbianchi
celbianchi Posts: 854
edited August 2011 in Amateur race
We need some more entries to make the race viable. It is in the North East region (hq Middleton Vilage Hall). Sunday 7th August.

If your're looking for a nice race in the Northumberland countryside, then this is what you need.

It is open to 2/3/4 categories (http://www.britishcycling.org.uk/events ... -Road-Race).
The race will be around the Rothley Crags / Cambo circuit.

Comments

• andyrr
    andyrr Posts: 1,819
    Should be there, I'll climb over the wall from haggisland - entry will be sent asap.
  • celbianchi
    andyrr wrote:
    Should be there, I'll climb over the wall from haggisland - entry will be sent asap.

Good stuff. Bring a marauding tartan army of mates with you :D
  • andyrr
    Assuming this race is still going ahead ?

I'd belatedly realised that I had a much more local race available to me on that day ... but
    I'm about to stick my entry in the post for this today - hoping my sore back/leg starts improving fast tho' !
  • celbianchi
    Yep, got a good number of entries now, nearly 60. You can still stick an entry in if you haven't (just tell me it's coming and I'll add you to the start sheet)
  • andyrr
    Well done to the winner, Will Haynes, and indeed everyone that took part and helped out yesterday.
    Grotty conditions, I think it just about stopped raining at some points but the spray and muck getting chucked up made up for it.
    After hanging on for about 99% of the race, not feeling at all good, with 800mtrs to go I was well placed in the bunch up the final hill (maybe looking at top-20 placing going by the finishing sheet I've seen) when a rider right slap-bang in front of me came to an abrupt stop and I missed piling into him by a whisker. End-result was pretty much everyone streaming past me and I trailed in.
    Then the sun just about came out as I headed off for the drive home !
  • celbianchi
    Andyrr - thanks for coming down. I feared on the Saturday with the deluge that there might be standing water and the comm might have a decision to make...
    Anyway, it all went off smoothly with no glitches which pleased me.
    It's quite a task organising, loads to worry about. Glad I've got the first one out of the way though.

It's not a bad finish coming up middleton bank as someone will often drill it and line it out a bit, and that false flat means the line doesn't come quite quickly enough. Bad luck getting baulked on the run in.

Will, Colin and Chris rode strongly in the break to stay away for nigh on 60 miles.
    It must have been a relief when Tommy Bustard finally escaped the bunch to pursue them, he's a strong lad.
    I quite fancy organising a few more when I hang my wheels up myself now.
  • andyrr
    Yes, well done for a very smooth running race - especially given the terrible weather in the lead-up. Also nice to see Willie Thompson assisting in his scootering-marshal role.

I've now got the usual satisfied feeling having come from completing a race where I did better than I was anticipating after putting the initial few miles under the wheels - was not a nice one to ride but a nice one to complete if that makes sense. Well done to the lads for staying away for 7/8th of the whole race. Tough, tough circuit 8 times up those climbs starts to make the legs hurt a wee bit !