Crank click

straas
straas Posts: 338
edited July 2011 in The workshop
A few hundred miles ago I noticed a slight creak coming from below me, I assumed it to be the pedals.

In the last 100 miles or so a clicking has replaced this creak and seems to be getting worse.

The clicking occurs when I put quite a bit of pressure on the cranks and am moving, so happens mainly uphill or starting off from the lights.

Each click seems to occur when the cranks are at about 6 and 3 on the clock.
Strangely the click seems to alternate cranks, eg;
If the right crank is at 6 it clicks, if I then pull back and try to replicate the click on the right side I can't - I need to rotate the left crank around to 6 for the next click and vice-versa.

Things I've already tried.

- Standing out of the seat (same)
- Any play in the cranks (none apparent)
- Putting pressure on cranks when stationary (no clicking)
- Hands off handlebars (no difference)

Any ideas?
FCN: 6

Comments

• motopatter
    motopatter Posts: 179
    remove and clean crank / bb spline.

should do the trick and costs nothing but time if you've got the tools (about £7 if you haven't got tool)
    wave your willy here !!!! :)
  • Gussio
    Gussio Posts: 2,452
    ^What he/she said. Make sure that everything is *really* clean and then add a smear of grease before reassmbling to correct torques.

Sounds daft, but you might want to take your seatpost out at the same time and grease it (or carbon compound it if a carbon post) before replacing. I spent ages trying to track down a creak once, and the seatpost was the last thing that I checked (doh!).
  • motopatter
    motopatter Posts: 179
    Gussio wrote:
    he

:D
    wave your willy here !!!! :)
  • Gussio
    Gussio Posts: 2,452
    :lol:
  • straas
    straas Posts: 338
    what tools would I need for this? Had a little look on park tools site, but got more confused.

I assume I take the caps off at the end of the cranks and have to get the bolt off inside?
    FCN: 6
  • godders1
    godders1 Posts: 750
    You'll need a crank puller (not too expensive and well worth having in the tool box). First take caps off, unscrew bolts and you'll be able to see what type of BB you have:

bbsx4-labeled.jpg

I think I'm right in saying that most crank pullers can be used on splined or square taper BBs (they come with a little adaptor). To be on the safe side just make sure you know which type BB you have and then make sure the crank puller you buy works with that type.

Stacks of vids on youtube if you want to see exactly how the puller will work. Just double (and triple) check that you're using the right adaptor for your BB. I managed to strip the threads on a crankset once by using the wrong adaptor on a crank puller and when it eventually needed replacing I had to go at it with an angle grinder (and so replace a perfectly good BB as well). :shock:
  • d.mart
    d.mart Posts: 88
    I had this problem on a spesh langster - almost exactly the same symptoms. Turned out to be a worn freewheel even though it sounded like it was coming from the BB. Depends what you're riding, SS or not but worth checking.
  • Take off your pedals & re-grease the threads.

If that doesn't work check this site for other sources of clicks.