1,000 new bicycle spaces across Greater Manchester

AndyManc
AndyManc Posts: 1,393
edited July 2011 in Commuting chat
More than 1,000 bicycle spaces are set to be built in Manchester after the government backed a radical bid by transport chiefs to boost cycling.

The Department of Transport is giving the region £4.9m for the Greater Manchester Commuter Cycle Project – aimed at getting more people biking to work.

It is one of 39 projects across England that have been given a share of £155m from the new Local Sustainable Transport Fund.

Up to 650 bike spaces will be created at seven new centres that will have lockers, toilets and showers for cyclists.

Another 450 will be built inside secure compounds, which will have storage for helmets and wet- weather clothing.

Cycle centres are proposed for Ashton Pool, Piccadilly Gardens, Manchester Arndale, MediaCityUK, Altrincham Interchange and Bolton Interchange.

Cycle compounds could be built at Bury Interchange, Stockport bus station, Sale town centre, Wigan stations, Rochdale station and Oldham town centre.

The successful bid will also kick-start adult cycle training and will see the launch of a scheme called ‘Bike Back to Work’ – allowing job-seekers to borrow a bike for a trial period to extend the distance they can travel to work.

Coun Andrew Fender, chairman of the Transport for Greater Manchester Committee, said: "I’m delighted that our bid has been successful."

Things are looking up :D:D

Specialized Hardrock Pro/Trek FX 7.3 Hybrid/Specialized Enduro/Specialized Tri-Cross Sport
URBAN_MANC.png

Comments

• shouldbeinbed
    shouldbeinbed Posts: 2,660
    Yep, good news
  • Agent57
    Agent57 Posts: 2,300
    If they can just put in more lanes between Deansgate and MediaCityUK, that'd be good (for me). The lane along the A56 Chester Road is great, but doesn't go very far, and is a bit of a PITA to use when coming back the other way.

It's bad enough I have to ride past Old Toilet every day. ;)
    MTB commuter / 531c commuter / CR1 Team 2009 / RockHopper Pro Disc / 10 mile PB: 25:52 (Jun 2014)
  • AndyManc
    Secure parking is a must, I know many people that have had bikes stolen and never got another one.

I don't leave my bike in Manchester , this initiative will change everything.

Specialized Hardrock Pro/Trek FX 7.3 Hybrid/Specialized Enduro/Specialized Tri-Cross Sport
    URBAN_MANC.png
  • gb155
    gb155 Posts: 2,048
    I would leave my bike in Manchester, but now, this TBH will change that.
    On a Mission to lose 20 stone..Get My Life Back

December 2007 - 39 Stone 05 Lbs

July 2011 - 13 Stone 12 Lbs - Cycled 17851 Miles

http://39stonecyclist.com
    Now the hard work starts.
  • ndru
    ndru Posts: 382
    Because probably most people who don't cycle in Manchester need bicycle parking and training to start... riiiight.
  • AndyManc
    ndru wrote:
    Because probably most people who don't cycle in Manchester need bicycle parking and training to start... riiiight.

Lack of provision does prevent many from taking up cycling.

I think the proposals will increase cycle use across the city, in particular the centre.

URBAN_MANC.png
  • flicksta
    flicksta Posts: 157
    That's secure parking for 0.2% of Manchester's population.

Well, I suppose out of small acorns, mighty oaks do grow. That's one very small acorn though.
  • shouldbeinbed
    F**ks sake, some people are never happy.

Its a start, its more than we've had before & it makes a pleasant change to see cycling being considered & provided for. Lets be realistic this isn't going to get every other car off the road (nothing but punitive pricing will do that and that's not a vote winner ) but every car removed is one to the good & it'll certainly make me happier leaving my bike & make me more likely to cycle all the way in rather than ditching my bike securely at work a couple of miles out and walking or bussing the last bit if I know it'll be unattended for a long while.

I'd like to think its in some way a guilt/peace offering for the continuing intransigence on over bikes on metrolink and may pave the way for a more open conversation with TfGM.

Makes a nice change to be agreeing with Andy ;-)
  • ndru
    I am happy. Just questioning how will this project get more people cycling to work exactly? People tend not to cycle because they are mostly shit scared of getting killed in the traffic. How does this project address this issue? Cycle training, isn't it...
  • shouldbeinbed
    Pedantically how will training the cyclist remove the (perception) of fear of hostile driving. But have you read anything more than this thread. Training and awareness are part of it too

http://www.tfgm.com/2009_news.cfm?news_ ... nuheader=3

Also its the first big high profile thing that has grabbed the attention of the wider public - if the comments & questions i've had from colleagues this last couple of days.

Apologies if as regular experienced riders on the road, the training bit didn't get the mention maybe it should, but a very quick bit of Google-fu wouldn't hurt
  • shouldbeinbed
    ndru wrote:
    I am happy. Just questioning how will this project get more people cycling to work exactly? People tend not to cycle because they are mostly shoot scared of getting killed in the traffic. How does this project address this issue? Cycle training, isn't it...

& from El Diego's thread

http://www.bikeradar.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=12788481

So you're keen on training on this thread but disparaging it on the other one. Make your mind up!
  • ndru
    My post in that topic was sarcastic....
  • ndru
    My post in that thread was sarcastic....
    My opinion on training is this - sure you can teach people not to fear traffic and cope - but that's as effective as teaching people that walking through [name most dodgy place in your town] is actually not that dangerous, teach them self defense and hope that that [dodgy place] will become the hottest place in town.