Why do MTB rims only have a hole small enough for PRESTA?

srands
srands Posts: 27
edited July 2011 in MTB general
Why do MTB rims only have a hole small enough for PRESTA valves?

Ok traditionally MTB rims were very wide, and used SCHRADER innertubes, then when MTB rims went narrower, PRESTA sized holes were used?

Why are PRESTA sized holes used in the majority of MTB rims these days?

Comments

• cooldad
    cooldad Posts: 32,599
    They don't, some have Schrader, some have Presta.
    Stop shouting about stuff.
    I don't do smileys.

There is no secret ingredient - Kung Fu Panda

London Calling on Facebook

Parktools
  • supersonic
    supersonic Posts: 82,708
    Please stop using CAPS in thread titles, and repeatedly in the post. It is against the rules that we set.

In future they will be DELETED.
  • bails87
    bails87 Posts: 12,998
    Oh god, not again.

Narrower valve=smaller hole=less impact on the strength of the wheel?
    MTB/CX

"As I said last time, it won't happen again."
  • njee20
    njee20 Posts: 9,613
    Because the majority of RIDERS use PRESTA valve tubes, why have a VALVE hole bigger than it needs to be?
  • cee
    cee Posts: 4,553
    presta? shraeder? Ohhhhhhhhhh...you mean girls and mans valves?

out of my group of usual suspect riding buddies....

I am the only one who uses girls valves....everyone else uses mans valves.

I though the girls only rims were the minority.......even the last set i got that came with presta tubes had a little plastic reducer that could easily be removed to fit mans valves.
    Whenever I see an adult on a bicycle, I believe in the future of the human race.

H.G. Wells.
  • Stiff_Orange
    Stiff_Orange Posts: 218
    You anwsered your own question.
    Ok traditionally MTB rims were very wide, and used schrader innertubes, then when MTB rims went narrower, presta sized holes were used?

Why are presta sized holes used in the majority of MTB rims these days?

It's called evolution, pesta have advantages that people on here have already stated.

**shoutey bits replaced
  • welshkev
    welshkev Posts: 9,690
    i have the type of valve that lets me put air in my tyres so i can ride my bike........

who cares what they are? :lol:
  • nicklouse
    nicklouse Posts: 50,675
    get out more an look for yourself and you will see what a fool you are.
    "Do not follow where the path may lead, Go instead where there is no path, and Leave a Trail."
    Parktools :?:SheldonBrown
  • srands
    OK, to elaborate further (I don't work for Mavic, do you?):

Why question in the 1st place? Why have 2 different valve types, when schrader car type valves are the obvious choice/standard, that's why:

~ Cheaper MTBs: The majority have schrader valve rims, probably because they're wider rims (Less complicated design then their more expensive and better developed counterparts), because weight isn't an issue to the buyers of those MTB's (Well it won't be, cheap price matters to them). Obviously a schrader hole, can accomodate either a presta or schrader.

~ Quality MTBs: The majority have presta holes, because weight is an issue to buyers of these MTBs/RIMS, so the rims are narrower then on cheaper MTB's. Quality rims presumably have a presta size hole to retain greater rim strength, as there is more metal between the rim edge and the edge of the rim valve hole, so the chances of the valve rim hole cracking is less, then in comparison to a schrader size valve hole in a narrow MTB rim. And obviously a schrader valve will NOT fit through a presta size rim hole.

But the real question here is, "IF" quality mtb rims had schrader size rim valve holes, would these rims crack/snap because of the larger valve rim hole, or would the metal tolerate the reduced metal in that area from impacts?

Challenge: Go on name a few quality narrow MTB rims that actually have a schrader sized rim valve hole. I dare you, you automated reply freaks!
  • welshkev
    srands wrote:
    OK, to elaborate further (I don't work for Mavic, do you?):

Why question in the 1st place? Why have 2 different valve types, when schrader car type valves are the obvious choice/standard, that's why:

~ Cheaper MTBs: The majority have schrader valve rims, probably because they're wider rims (Less complicated design then their more expensive and better developed counterparts), because weight isn't an issue to the buyers of those MTB's (Well it won't be, cheap price matters to them). Obviously a schrader hole, can accomodate either a presta or schrader.

~ Quality MTBs: The majority have presta holes, because weight is an issue to buyers of these MTBs/RIMS, so the rims are narrower then on cheaper MTB's. Quality rims presumably have a presta size hole to retain greater rim strength, as there is more metal between the rim edge and the edge of the rim valve hole, so the chances of the valve rim hole cracking is less, then in comparison to a schrader size valve hole in a narrow MTB rim. And obviously a schrader valve will NOT fit through a presta size rim hole.

But the real question here is, "IF" quality mtb rims had schrader size rim valve holes, would these rims crack/snap because of the larger valve rim hole, or would the metal tolerate the reduced metal in that area from impacts?

Challenge: Go on name a few quality narrow MTB rims that actually have a schrader sized rim valve hole. I dare you, you automated reply freaks!

but why?!? that's my question? why does it matter? why does it bother you?
  • Monkeypump
    Monkeypump Posts: 1,528
    Challenge accepted. My Mavic XM 719s come with valve adaptors, so can use either type. I'm sure they're not the only reasonably decent rim to do so.

Perhaps more appropriately:
    Challenge: Take srands seriously.

Nice to finally see less shouting in your posts though.
  • welshkev
    Monkeypump wrote:
    Challenge accepted. My Mavic XM 719s come with valve adaptors, so can use either type. I'm sure they're not the only reasonably decent rim to do so.

i'm not not taking him seriously, but i just don't see why it matters :?
  • Monkeypump
    welshkev wrote:
    Monkeypump wrote:

Read some of his other posts... brilliant... simply brilliant :wink: :shock:
  • srands
    edited July 2011
    welshkev wrote:

Wait for it, 3 reasons:

~ Most garage pumps are just schrader (So if you've changed your punctured tube for a new tube, but you don't have a pump on you, even if you make it to a garage, unless you've got an adaptor, you might not be able to inflate your new innertube!)

~ Many pumps are still just schrader (Yes you can use a presta to schrader adaptor on those)

~ Price (Surprise): Presta innertubes are more expensive then schrader, upto £2 more, for something that is the same dimensions, and the same apart from the valve, seems like creating choice in innertubes (Other then just schrader), increases the cost of presta innertubes in comparison to schrader, sure they'll have some plausible reason for the presta innertubes costing more, they'll call it economies of scale, or something like that, etc.
  • welshkev
    Monkeypump wrote:
    welshkev wrote:
    Monkeypump wrote:

i'm off to have a look :P
  • welshkev
    srands wrote:
    welshkev wrote:

Wait for it, 3 reasons:

~ Most garage pumps are just schrader (So if you've changed your punctured tube for a new tube, but you don't have a pump on you, even if you make it to a garage, unless you've got an adaptor, you might not be able to inflate your new innertube!)

~ Many pumps are still just schrader (Yes you can use a presta to schrader adaptor on those)

~ Price (Surprise): Presta innertubes are more expensive then schrader, upto £2 more, for something that is the same dimensions, and the same apart from the valve, seems like creating choice in innertubes (Other then just schrader), increases the cost of presta innertubes in comparison to schrader, sure they'll have some plausible reason for the presta innertubes costing more, they'll call it economies of scale, or something like that, etc.

i've never had any of these problems...so again why?!?

my track pump has both valve sizes on the end

my trail pump can be changed by turning around a small rubber bung

there's not too many garages on the trails :?

i can afford a fiver for an innertube so not really bothered
  • welshkev
    Monkeypump wrote:
    welshkev wrote:
    Monkeypump wrote:

ah got you now :wink::lol:
  • Briggo
    Briggo Posts: 3,537
    supersonic wrote:
    Please stop using CAPS in thread titles, and repeatedly in the post. It is against the rules that we set.

Just delete him, from the world.
  • Monkeypump
    srands wrote:
    welshkev wrote:

Wait for it, 3 reasons:

Many petrol station compressed-air pumps advise NOT to use for bikes. Lesson: always carry a pump/CO2 (esp. if you have the sense to carry tubes).

Not many bike-specific pumps are just Schrader. For those that are, you address your own issue – adaptors are available.

Price difference is negligible if you search around for deals – you’re an internet user, after all. It’s certainly not a big percentage of what many people generally spend on their bikes.

Do you just sit at home dreaming up problems that really don’t exist in the real world?
  • Monkeypump
    Briggo wrote:
    supersonic wrote:

Just delete him, from the world.

No no - too funny.
  • satanas
    satanas Posts: 1,303
    Cheap bikes get sold to non-cyclists who don't use hand pumps or understand anything except Schraeder valves. These people complain if they get Presta valves and usually cannot inflate them (or snap them off). They have cheap rims which need to be wide to have any strength so no problem to make a bigger hole for a bigger valve. Bike shops don't like cheap bikes to have Presta valves as it usually means changing the tubes to stop customers WHINGING.

Presta valves are lighter and easier to pump up with a hand pump, plus the smaller hole in the rim weakens lighter, narrower rims less. Presta valves used in Schraeder rims tend to fail at the base of the valve quite a bit more often.

There are various "hole reducers" to make Presta tubes work better in Schraeder-drilled rims, including those supplied with some Mavic rims, as well as those made by Wheels Manufacturing. These can be useful as they allow the use of a tube with the "wrong valve" if things get desperate.

Why do some people only have a BRAIN small enough to spend way too much time WORRYING about stuff like this???
  • srands
    edited July 2011
    Anyway, presta is fiddly (Unscrew a valve to inflate!) here is a picture of a PRESTA to SCHRADER valve adaptor:
    264837_232113420145381_100000401736733_752216_3379977_n.jpg

FIDDLY NOTE: To inflate innertube on a PRESTA innertube with a PRESTA to SCHRADER valve adaptor, the PRESTA open valve has to opened/released fully THEN screw on the PRESTA to SCHRADER valve adaptor THEN attach the pump, and PUMP IT UP!
    265070_232124203477636_100000401736733_752223_1210258_n.jpg

You don't have to do that on schrader!

Anyway carry an appropriate pump & innertube(s) with you, wonderful good suggestion/advise. Take heed those who do not (Not me, I take a ruck sack with me, coz my small frame is not big enough for a shoulder bag, just a water bottle cage/pump mount, so bring a rucksack with tyre levers, innertubes, puncture repair kit, etc).
  • welshkev
    srands wrote:
    Anyway, presta is fiddly (Unscrew a valve to inflate!) here is a picture of a PRESTA to SCHRADER valve adaptor:
    264837_232113420145381_100000401736733_752216_3379977_n.jpg

FIDDLY NOTE: To inflate innertube on a PRESTA innertube with a PRESTA to SCHRADER valve adaptor, the PRESTA open valve has to opened/released fully THEN screw on the PRESTA to SCHRADER valve adaptor THEN attach the pump, and PUMP IT UP!

You don't have to do that on schrader!

Anyway carry an appropriate pump & innertube(s) with you, wonderful good suggestion/advise. Take heed those who do not (Not me, I take a ruck sack with me, coz my small frame is not big enough for a shoulder bag, just a water bottle cage/pump mount, so bring a rucksack with tyre levers, innertubes, puncture repair kit, etc).

you really are a complete and utter moron...i don't usually stoop to trolls, but really, you are a knobhead :shock:
  • supersonic
    supersonic Posts: 82,708
    Stop using capitals inappropriately! We can read! Be warned!
  • nicklouse
    nicklouse Posts: 50,675
    Gone.
    "Do not follow where the path may lead, Go instead where there is no path, and Leave a Trail."
    Parktools :?:SheldonBrown
This discussion has been closed.