OT: Poker

rubertoe
rubertoe Posts: 3,994
edited July 2011 in Commuting chat
Cycling is not the only hobby of mine that takes up a lot of my time and gets on SWMBO's nerves.

I am also a big poker fan - both playing and watching and i have been following the WSOP (world series of poker) this year with great interest.

I am sure many of you don't care - but a certain pro - Phil Hellmuth who is the all time Bracelet leader (they give out bracelets to the winner of each event) has been immense this year with 3 2nd place finishes in his quest for his #12 bracelet. and recently finished 2nd again in the $50k buy in players championship wrapping up the player of year standing.s

anyone else play/follow poker?

what are your thoughts on this wonderful game, or do you think its full of cheats and online poker is rigged and card rooms full of cheats?
"If you always do what you've always done, you'll always get what you've always got."

PX Kaffenback 2 = Work Horse
B-Twin Alur 700 = Sundays and Hills

Comments

• Cleat Eastwood
    Cleat Eastwood Posts: 7,508
    I once played Snap with stephen hawking.....made a small fortune.
    The dissenter is every human being at those moments of his life when he resigns
    momentarily from the herd and thinks for himself.
  • sketchley
    sketchley Posts: 4,238
    I used to play for fun on-line on Facebook. I "won" $100million in about 6 months, mainly due to the fact people playing on Facebook were idiots.....
    --
    Chris

Genesis Equilibrium - FCN 3/4/5
  • rick_chasey
    rick_chasey Posts: 75,661
    I got roped into a poker night at very very rough pub where my mate was bartendering. His boss was making him go on his night off and he needed some moral support.

Managed to come 2nd and won £30 (having put a fiver in). I've never been so reluctant to take people's money... Frightening.

I think that was luck rather than skill. Manged to get to the final table, where the winner took everyone out and I ducked it all. Then the head-to-head I think he had 10 times the chips I did.
  • Dog Breath
    Dog Breath Posts: 314
    When did playing cards become a 'sport', as it now appears on sports channels on TV
    Planet-X SL Pro Carbon.
    Tifosi CK3 Winter Bike
    Planet X London Road Disc
    Planet X RT80 Elite
  • rubertoe
    rubertoe Posts: 3,994
    Dog Breath wrote:
    When did playing cards become a 'sport', as it now appears on sports channels on TV

same could be said for darts, snooker, pool, fishing.....

i also never called it a sport, i refered to it as a game and a hobby.
    "If you always do what you've always done, you'll always get what you've always got."

PX Kaffenback 2 = Work Horse
    B-Twin Alur 700 = Sundays and Hills
  • t4tomo
    t4tomo Posts: 2,643
    You win Bracelets - sounds like a game for young girls to me.

Do you get Hello Kitty ones - if so my daughter mightbe interested in taking it up.
    Bianchi Infinito CV
    Bianchi Via Nirone 7 Ultegra
    Brompton S Type
    Carrera Vengeance Ultimate Ltd
    Gary Fisher Aquila '98
    Front half of a Viking Saratoga Tandem
  • Agent57
    Agent57 Posts: 2,300
    I play a bit. I played in a tournament at Gutshot in London once (now closed, I believe). Their forum used to run a vBulletin hack I wrote years ago, called vBookie (although they renamed it gBookie).

Playing next Friday at a mate's. £10 buy in, no rebuys, winner takes all. Not too expensive to lose, but enough to make it worth winning. =)
    MTB commuter / 531c commuter / CR1 Team 2009 / RockHopper Pro Disc / 10 mile PB: 25:52 (Jun 2014)