XT crank arm pinch bolt replacement....

*AJ*
*AJ* Posts: 1,080
edited July 2011 in MTB workshop & tech
Having bought an XT chainset second hand at a bargain price a few months ago it came apparent that the idiot that owned it before was clueless, The BB had been tightened up with mole grips, the plastic preload cap had been tightened with something flat and had no shape to it, and it was cross threaded. The pinch bolts also didnt grip the allen key too well.

I fitted it as it was, managing to get the BB tool still fitting the mangled BB and replacing the preload cap for a new one, as it didnt tighten at all.

Now the BB has started creaking (no play, but it is creaking.) so im going to replace it. The problem is the pinch bolts are not in good shape and probably will not tighten again once they are off the bike.

I want to replace them, but cant find them listed anywhere... the only ones i could find are these?

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/2-M6-Titanium-Bol ... 9367734436

But im not even sure that these will fit?

Any idea or help guys? where can I get replacemnets?

Cheers

Comments

• ricardo_smooth
    ricardo_smooth Posts: 1,281
    probably find your LBS will have some. If not measure them and buy some from ebay (they aren't bike specific, they just name them 'bike bolts' and charge you more)
  • Tonyp_iom
    Tonyp_iom Posts: 35
    Y1G398010 is the product code you are looking for.

Madison has them in stock so your local bike shop should be able to help RRP is £1.99 each.

Or if you don't want to wait for shimano ones, any M6 x 19mm allen bolt should do.
  • CraigXXL
    CraigXXL Posts: 1,852
    Make sure the bolt has a tapered head. I tried a normal bolt like advised above and it wouldn't tighten up fully as the head pressed against the side of the crank as it was pinched together. I got genuine Shimano ones from UKbikestore but seen tapered bolts afterwards that would have done the trick properly.
  • *AJ*
    *AJ* Posts: 1,080
    Cheers guys!