Help me decide! Pinarello FP1

Chris-H
Chris-H Posts: 27
edited July 2011 in Road buying advice
Hi Guys,

I'm usually in the mtb forum but having just moved to an area where the roads are far more inspiring than the bridleways I've decided to get a bit more serious on the tarmac as well. I want something fun and sporty to ride, most of the time it is likely to be used for fast shorter distance rides as opposed to long epics, might even see me do a sprint triathlon or two... finally, as bad as it is to admit it, I'm a sucker for the pedigree of a brand like Pinarello and I also really like the fork and seat stay design.

So is this a good machine for me? At around £1100 they look fair value, not the best components on the block but a proven frame - my theory is that I can always upgrade a few bits in years to come where as the frame needs to last me a lot longer!

Should I go for it or is there an alternative I've missed at a similar price point?

Cheers,

Chris

Comments

• petemadoc
    petemadoc Posts: 2,331
    Hi Chris

The FP1 is pretty pricey

However

http://www.wiggle.co.uk/pinarello-fp2-carbon-105-2010/

The 2010 FP2 full carbon fibre for £1329.00 is a steal. Definitely worth the extra! Pic your size, click buy, job done :D
  • Rule74Please
    Rule74Please Posts: 307
    and as Italian as Noodles
  • Chris-H
    And that is where being 6' 3" kicks me... no one ever has large frames left.

If you can find me a 2010 FP2 in 58cm I'd be all over it!

PeteMadoc wrote:
    Hi Chris

The FP1 is pretty pricey

However

http://www.wiggle.co.uk/pinarello-fp2-carbon-105-2010/

The 2010 FP2 full carbon fibre for £1329.00 is a steal. Definitely worth the extra! Pic your size, click buy, job done :D
  • petemadoc
    Ha ha

Unlucky on your ridiculous measurements :wink:

Have a look online, there are other bikes with a much better spec at a similar price. For £1100 you could get a nice carbon bike from Ribble, Wiggle or Planet X

Ribble get some great write ups from the magazines and for the money you just can't beat them. (BTW I don't own a Ribble). If you plan on shorter rides and comfort is less of an issue have a look at the Ribble Stealth.

Or how about this

http://www.wiggle.co.uk/moser-bikes-111-ultegra-2011/

or

http://www.wiggle.co.uk/prorace-moros-ultegra-2011/

or the Focus Cayo
  • petemadoc
    cadseen wrote:
    I have got last year a Pinarrello FP3, and I love it to ride.

I would suggest the carbon versions which may be FP2 and above.

http://tidd.ly/18afa5c0

I think we've been there already, they don't have his size.

The Pinarello FP1 is way overpriced. If you want a nice Italian bike for a bit less money look at the Bianchi Via Nirone, I think the 105 version can be had for £1000, Tiagra £900 and it looks fecking sweet
  • kingrollo
    kingrollo Posts: 3,198
    Don't die never having rode a pinarello

yes you can get higher specs bikes for the money - but it just isn't the same - and you will recoup loads when you come to sell it.

Go for it mate........................and post some piccys when you get it
  • MaxwellBygraves
    MaxwellBygraves Posts: 1,353
    Whereabouts are you based mate?
    "That's it! You people have stood in my way long enough. I'm going to clown college! " - Homer
  • Chris-H
    Everyone seems to say that Pinarello's are way over priced but in this case I dont see why...

The FP1 is available for £1050 which for a high end alu frame with carbon forks and seatstay seems about on the money - yes you could swap a bit less carbon and go from Tiagra to 105 but it would be a swap. The similar spec Bianchi looks to be about £1200 to me - assuming we're going like for like on the frame i.e. alu carbon...

I will admit though that the full RRP on the new FP2 is high, £2k and only 105 is expensive, but I'm not considering that bike.

I think the only contender at the moment is the Willier Izoard XP with Campag Xenon - it is more but I've seen it as low as £1349.

Still close to pulling the trigger on the P - today could be the day. Based in the midlands btw. but prepared to travel to get the right bit of kit!

Cheers,

Chris
  • rolf_f
    rolf_f Posts: 16,015
    kingrollo wrote:

Why? It's just another Taiwanese bike. Nothing wrong with it I'm sure but really, what's so special? Even the brand image isn't so great (too much stuff at the lower end to be exclusive etc etc).
    Faster than a tent.......
  • kingrollo
    kingrollo Posts: 3,198
    Rolf F wrote:
    kingrollo wrote:

Why? It's just another Taiwanese bike. Nothing wrong with it I'm sure but really, what's so special? Even the brand image isn't so great (too much stuff at the lower end to be exclusive etc etc).

why ?

The most exhilirating bike I have ever ridden. Still get admiring comments when it was a few years old.
    Paid £1100 - had it 8 years - sold it for £600

Can't fault it - the only downside (and why I sold it) it that it is very racy position.

Buy it today !
  • Chris-H
    Love the enthusiam! Maybe I should just get off the internet into the shop and out on the road!

kingrollo wrote:
    Rolf F wrote:
    kingrollo wrote:

why ?

The most exhilirating bike I have ever ridden. Still get admiring comments when it was a few years old.
    Paid £1100 - had it 8 years - sold it for £600

Can't fault it - the only downside (and why I sold it) it that it is very racy position.

Buy it today !
  • kev77
    kev77 Posts: 433
    I will tell you why i bought an FP1, i too looked at all the alternatives. But all the pro's outweigh the con's with this bike.

1. Bear in mind, alot of these carbon frames are from the far east and i have been shown the stiffness between this frame and others ie, chainstay flex ( whip in the wheel etc )

2. You are buying into a proven time served iconic brand.

3. They handle like a treat ( especialy at high speed ) no shaking head!

4. You will not lose a great amount of money if you decide to sell it.

5. You still have a quality frame if you decide to upgrade other parts.

6. Yes an FP1 does come with tiagra equipment but please do not underestimate this they perform the same as 105 kit.

7. You will look the nuts around non pinarello cyclists.

8. The woman love a pinarello rider FACT

Need i say more? Go and try one at your local bike shop, i would not buy a bike unless a have tried it.
  • rolf_f
    kev77 wrote:
    1. Bear in mind, alot of these carbon frames are from the far east and i have been shown the stiffness between this frame and others ie, chainstay flex ( whip in the wheel etc )
    Where do you think your FP1 frame comes from?
  • kev77
    Not the same place as other manufacturers ( Fact ) i bought mine from a dealer who is an ex rider. Yes quite probable the same country but not the same wholesaler.
  • rolf_f
    kev77 wrote:
    Not the same place as other manufacturers ( Fact ) i bought mine from a dealer who is an ex rider. Yes quite probable the same country but not the same wholesaler.

So you asked a dealer who wanted to sell you a bike if the frame came from the same factory as the cheap carbon frames on ebay and he said no?

Case closed then!

PS - interspersing your sentences with the word "fact" doesn't actually make them any more likely to be accurate!
    PPS - Pinarellos are apparently Chinese rather than from Taiwan not that it makes much difference.
  • petemadoc
    kev77 wrote:
    I will tell you why i bought an FP1, i too looked at all the alternatives. But all the pro's outweigh the con's with this bike.

Erm, I think they come from the same factory mate, sorry to bust your bubble

True of the brand but sadly not the lower end frames

Please someone interupt if they have a carbon frame that has any issues at high speed

What if you crash it?

This applies to any frame if it's half decent and the paint job makes no difference

6. Yes an FP1 does come with tiagra equipment but please do not underestimate this they perform the same as 105 kit.

meh, and ultegra is no different to 105 and dura ace is no different to ultegra

hmmmmm

Much as us cyclists would like to think that women understand bikes . . . .as a general rule, THEY DON'T. They don't know what a Pinarrello is or any other brand, in fact they probably think Raleigh is the best make. Women know what a Porsche or a Ferrari is but do they know what a Colnago is? Do they .**** . . . .

Need i say more? Go and try one at your local bike shop, i would not buy a bike unless a have tried it.

I'd love to own a nice Italian made Italian frame one day, but until I have a few K spare for a nice hand built steel frame I'll keep dreaming.
  • kev77
    So ROLF E by the tone of your comments i can tell you have one of theses frames.
  • kev77
    PeteMadoc wrote:
    kev77 wrote:

Erm, I think they come from the same factory mate, sorry to bust your bubble

Do you think i not know ow to google mate? Where did i say pinarello are not made in taiwan or china? The point being is that the R & D will be probably better than some brands. I could not care less if pinarello make the bikes on te moon, so long as the research is correct.

True of the brand but sadly not the lower end frames

Where do reference an FP1 is the same as a dogma?

Please someone interupt if they have a carbon frame that has any issues at high speed

Where do i mention any other frame maker as comparison?

What if you crash it?

What if you snap a cervelo frame?

This applies to any frame if it's half decent and the paint job makes no difference

meh, and ultegra is no different to 105 and dura ace is no different to ultegra

Where do i mention ultegra and dura ace?

hmmmmm

Said in jest

Much as us cyclists would like to think that women understand bikes . . . .as a general rule, THEY DON'T. They don't know what a Pinarrello is or any other brand, in fact they probably think Raleigh is the best make. Women know what a Porsche or a Ferrari is but do they know what a Colnago is? Do they .**** . . . .

This was said in jest

I'd love to own a nice Italian made Italian frame one day, but until I have a few K spare for a nice hand built steel frame I'll keep dreaming.

Me too, i would love to own a cervelo frame, but as a first bike you cant go far wrong in my opinion, correct me if i am wrong?
  • rolf_f
    kev77 wrote:
    So ROLF E by the tone of your comments i can tell you have one of theses frames.

An Ebay carbon frame? You can tell I own one can you? By crikey you're clever.

Not that I do though.

Or, on they other hand, maybe I do. I have a Ribble. It says "Handcrafted in Italy" on it but I know it wasn't. It is a Dedaccai frame from a fairly generic factory in Taiwan. A bit like the cheap Pinarellos (eg FP1) that are subcontracted out to random factories in China.

There is nothing wrong with your FP1 - just don't kid yourself that it has any more thoroughbred Italian credentials than the stuff that people are buying for £250 from Carbonzone.

As for Cervelo - Canadian company, made in China I believe.
  • kev77
    Rolf F wrote:
    kev77 wrote:

An Ebay carbon frame? You can tell I own one can you? By crikey you're clever.

Not that I do though.

Or, on they other hand, maybe I do. I have a Ribble. It says "Handcrafted in Italy" on it but I know it wasn't. It is a Dedaccai frame from a fairly generic factory in Taiwan. A bit like the cheap Pinarellos (eg FP1) that are subcontracted out to random factories in China.

There is nothing wrong with your FP1 - just don't kid yourself that it has any more thoroughbred Italian credentials than the stuff that people are buying for £250 from Carbonzone.

As for Cervelo - Canadian company, made in China I believe.

There you then, Ribble. A gran fondo special i bet as well.

Now thats clever :roll:
  • rolf_f
    kev77 wrote:
    There you then, Ribble. A gran fondo special i bet as well.

Now thats clever :roll:

Sorry - what is your point? All I'm saying is that there is nothing wrong with Far Eastern frames from generic factories whether they are badged Ribble, Pinarello or nothing at all. Just don't pretend they are something they aren't!

I have a posh bike as well which does have genuine, non generic pedigree. The Ribble is what it is - a great value bike that was specced to my requirements but I don't pretend it is something it isn't.
  • Chris-H
    Right lets get this back on track – no more arguing guys, if you want to slag of peoples brand choices simply because of where head offices are in relation to manufacturing facilities can I suggest a new thread.

So, I bought the Pinarello on Friday and managed to go for a decent ride yesterday so here are my first thoughts!

I got the bike in the end for £999 which I think was a bit of a steal. I think it’s a really good looking bike, I love the fork and rear stay detailing and the paint finish seems really good. Some aspects of the groupset may not be what you first expect when you think of Pinarello, but considering the frameset was winning rave reviews as the FP2 a couple of years back when it cost £1499, throw in the way sterling has gone, and I think it’s amazing they can sell a complete bike at all for that kind of money.

What really matters is what it’s like on the road though right? Well first impressions are good. It was very sharp and extremely responsive, it certainly encouraged you to dig deep, keep it in the big ring and charge the climbs. On average to good tarmac it was smooth as silk and ran beautifully quiet suggesting the carbon fork and stays were having some benefit, this all led to it being far more comfortable than I expected to be honest. It did throw me around a bit on some really rough stuff but by that I mean fairly battered Cotswolds roads so anything short of a mtb was going to struggle at times.

The fit is great for me, I’m 6’3”and went for the 58cm model. The headtube and stem give it quite a long cockpit but when you’re up top on the grips it’s a nice balance between comfy cruising position and a sporty ‘get off the saddle and kick’ position! It works for me anyway but I’ve got reasonable flexibility I guess. On the drops it is low – descending or sprints only I think…

The Tiagra groupset is OK but I think it needs breaking in a bit before I can really pass comment. Initially it wasn’t shifting quite as slickly as I would have liked but it got better over the course of the ride so I’ll give it a few hundred miles then make sure it is setup perfectly. I guess I may consider upgrading the shifters and rear mech in due course but given the price paid, I won’t feel bad about doing this.

So overall, thumbs up! Part of me would have liked to have indulged in something like a Cervelo build, but I would have spent at least twice as much and don’t really think it would have got me twice the bike. For me the FP1 – at this price – represents a solid bike I can enjoy right away and tinker with to keep it ‘fresh’ over the next few years.

Cheers,

Chris
  • kev77
    Congratulations chris well done on your purchase, hope you enjoy it.

I apologise for the banter with ROLF and i cannot see a purpose to his derailment.

Apologies once again.

ROLF give it a rest now eh.

Cheers kev
  • rolf_f
    kev77 wrote:
    ROLF give it a rest now eh.

Cheers kev

facepalm1.jpg
  • kev77
    what a crank you are!
  • rolf_f
    edited July 2011
    Awww, but it's just you that makes me that way :lol:

New week begins, new threads to find. I recommend a truce and let the fight begin another day, another place........
  • kev77
    Love you too :lol:
  • rolf_f
    Now you're just saying that! It'll be different in the morning I bet...... :(