Etape Act 1 2011

I rode this route Modane to Alpe d'Huez on Sunday with some friends so I wouldn't get swept up as in previous years :cry:. Thought I would leave you some tips. Background I am 65 with BMI of 26.2 so pretty slow but still averaged 14.85 kmh and didn't stop on the climbs.
Drink 500ml water 2 hrs before start then 250 ml half hour before on top of good breakfast.
Stage 1: It is downhill all the way to the first climb and you can go fast but there will be many people. Only a couple of roundabouts or so to watch for. Not much leg turning I'm afraid so you may not be warmed up before the climb. Coming into St Michel de Maurienne be very careful as there will soon be a roundabout with a left turn to the Col. There is bound to be a bottleneck here so go slow. It will probably be very frustrating.
Stage 2 Col de Telegraphe: Toilet on the left past the bridge but probably very crowded! Kicks up immediately to 8% but it is a lovely climb and not too difficult but because of this don't get carried away and go fast. Secret of this ride is pacing. Watch the heart rate the whole time to keep it 20 or 30 points below your max.May be lots of bottlenecks because road is very narrow, lots of people so keep looking for traffic jams.
Stage 3. Col de Galibier. Make sure you fill up with food and water at Valloire at bottom of climb. Some long straight stretches for the first 8 kms or so but some are quite steep. Great stone markers per km showing average grade for next km very useful so you know exactly where you are. After that the real test starts, you reach Plan Lachat - take on water no matter what - as you then start an 8kms steep climb with hairpins 8-11% gradients. You absolutely MUST keep your HR down and a consistent relaxed pace. If you push it here you have HAD it - trust me! May feel good at the time but you will suffer on Alpe d'Huez. Not sure if you go through the tunnel 1km from the top or over the top. Hope it's over even though it is 1 km at 11% the views are breathtaking. If you go through the tunnel and have a spare 5 mins stop before the tunnel and check out the views and look back down to see what you did and a self-congratulatory pat on the back will work wonders,, after all you cycled to 2560 metres! Watch the altitude on the way up. Keep drinking at least a bottle per hour. Have a couple of gels on the way up.
Stage 4. Descent. This is loooong and cold. Put on at least a waterproof and if cold and windy leggings and winter gloves. Do not underestimate the windchill. I did it in cloudless skies but I still dressed up. Put your lights on too as near the bottom are a series of tunnels. Lots of hairpins so go carefully. Remember to brake hard before the bend and freewheel round, otherwise rims might heat up giving you a puncture. There are no road barriers so no heroics, stick to inside lane, narrow roads many cyclists. Stop at the La Grave feed station, although only about 20 mins down the descent and you have hardly pedalled you MUST stop at least for water as you will not have enough water to get to the next feed station before the next climb. If the weather is nice you will be descending from 18 degrees to 32 at the bottom and it will be HOT. Here is a good place to discard your winter clothes. There is a kick up after the tunnels at about 84 kms of a couple of kms be prepared but it isn't serious, then you drop down to Bourg d'Oisans and the feed station. STOP.
Stage 5. Alpe d'Huez: Wow this is major. The first 2 bends and 2 kms are the steepest around 10-11% but the whole climb is relentless and everytime you go round a bend the road seems to stretch upwards steeply for ages. Make the most of the actual hairpins as they flatten out mostly so it is a good place to drink or open up a gel or rest for a bit if you need to as you can get back on the bike with no problem otherwise it is often too steep to start riding again. The route is very exposed so if it is good weather you will experience temperatures of 32-37 as the road reflects back so drink. Although there are supposed to be 21 bends don't be deceived as some of the bends don't count so there are actually more and in addition there is a bend 0 after you reach the top. Pause if time at the 50% mark on a bend (every 10% is painted white on the road representing 1.4 kms). The view over the wall is beautiful and you can see lots of hairpins stretched out beneath you - photo opportunity. Next potential pause spot as you come into village of Huez (103,5 kms) flattens out a bit on the right against a low wall and you can see Alpe d'huez from there. When you reach the village and the tourist finish after bend 1 you still have 2 kms to go. Go left through a small tunnel then it kicks up about 11% for a short time, round bend 0 kicks up 11% for 300 metres or so then flattens and a left turn brings you a short 300m climb to the finish and glory.
ENJOY!!!

Comments

• thecrofter
    thecrofter Posts: 734
    Sounds awesome.... I am so jealous.

One day, maybe
    You've no won the Big Cup since 1902!
  • dulldave
    dulldave Posts: 949
    That sounds like the same route as the mini Marmotte. Basically the 2nd half of the Marmotte. It's mostly downhill between La Grave and Alpe d'Huez so I'd be impressed if you managed to drink 2 litres of water in that time.

I'm a bit of a salad dodger and even I didn't need to drink that much at this point. If you have 2 full bottles at the top of the Galibier you'll be having too much fun descending to drink 2 litres of water before Bourg d'Oisans.

A couple of tips that served me well on the Marmotte was to take a couple of salt tablets before the event to prevent cramp and have no more than 100psi in your tyres (clinchers) to prevent them exploding on the descents.

There's only one tunnel worth worrying about from La Grave that has a few of the lights out so you go through dark spots. I'd recommend a rear flashing light so that other riders can see where you are relative to them. If you stick to the right of the road in these tunnels there are no potholes to worry about.
    Scottish and British...and a bit French
  • Brian B
    Brian B Posts: 2,071
    Good information there dull dave. I am just back from the marmotte and two bottles from the top of the Galibier to the top of the Alpe did me and it was hot. No probs with the tunnels apart from other riders taking chances with oncoming traffic and some people were singing in the tunnels but always push your sunglasses down so you can see over them. Top tip for the tunnels is to close one eye before them so you are acclimitised so to speak to the dark - only if you open the other eye again :wink:

Also had 100psi in my tyres as well as my bike was also cold in the morining due to being on the veranda of the balcony up the Alpe and the tyre pressure would rise as the heat of the day built as well and due to heating caused by braking.

As well as electrolyte tablets in your water bottles use some gels such as power bar gels with added electrolytes and caffine to keep you alert and cramp free. They worked for me and swear by them but can be hard to stiomach by some but I actually dont mind and find them pleasant.
    Brian B.
  • twotyred
    twotyred Posts: 822
    On the day there's going to be a hell of a jam at the start of the Telegraph which is one of the reasons I chose to do the Marmotte this year. Also as you say there's no chance to warm up your core temp before hitting the Telegraph.

Agree about taking water on at Plan Lachat you'll use more than you think on the Galibier.

The route is bound to use the old road and not the tunnel.

The top of the Galibier descent has been re-surfaced, presumably for Le Tour, so its nice and smooth and grippy.

Make sure you eat and drink during the descent to Bourg. Don't worry about the tunnels they're nowhere near as bad as people say. Just slip your sunnies down your nose before you enter them and you'll be fine.

If there's a water station at Huez then don't take too much water with you at the start of the Alpe.

As Brian says the first four ramps are 10-11%. Make sure you look down when you get to the fourth hairpin- you'll be amazed at how much altitude you have gained which is good for the morale. Speaking of morale don't look up (much). Don't worry if you are too knackered to ascend the Alpe with style. Even if you can only just turn the pedals you should take no more than one and a half hours.

I assume the Etape will use the Tour finish which is not the usual arrivé just as you get into Alpe-d'Huez but will be another 1-2 km further up at the ski lifts so don't think you've finished when you hit Alp d'Huez town.
  • bikeboff
    bikeboff Posts: 87
    All very useful information - thanks very much for posting. I think I'll keep my tyre pressure down, as I would usually have 110psi.
  • dandrew
    dandrew Posts: 175
    yikes i've recently had 120psi in mine. Hissssssssssss as I let 20psi out!
  • AlunP
    AlunP Posts: 106
    Just had a phone call from a friend who was on the Etape. A big chute in one of the tunnels apparently. She was held up for 20 mins. It was over 30C on the Alpe but she got up.

Chapeau!
  • airwise
    airwise Posts: 248
    Thats' been coming for years. Hope no one was killed.

For an earlier poster the Tunnel IS the old road - that's why Le Tour is finishing there.
  • An absolutely fabulous day for me!

No queue at all turning left into telegraphe
    You could have steamed it st top speed if you'd have wanted to

Lights failed in the 750m tunnel, can't recall its name, which explains the waking, it was pitch black.

All in all my first sportive of any kind and it exceeded my expectations

Easily one of the best days of my life!

Cheers - and BTW I'm sober LOL
  • 3Pears
    3Pears Posts: 174
    Hey God of Hell Fire, fantastic to read such a positive post :lol:

Look forward to reading your blog :P