Lights for commute

tbaker
tbaker Posts: 13
edited July 2011 in Commuting general
Hello,

I'm new to communting to work and finding with the wet rides home (plus for the darker evenings in the winter) I could do with a set of lights.

I've been looking on Chain Reaction Cycles and not really sure what I should be looking for.

Has anyone got any experience with a specific set of lights. I'm thinking I would like a set which I can charge via mains.

Pricewise, no more then around £30.

Thank you!

Comments

• alfablue
    alfablue Posts: 8,497
    I would suggest a light that takes rechargable AA batteries rather than one with a built-in battery and dedicated mains charger - when they are flat, their useless. With ones that take AA's you can easily carry spares. Also, built-in batteries will inevitably deteriorate / fail, often with no easy user-replacement.

I would steer clear of anything "Cateye" unless you want to pick the pieces off the road when the clamp fails (and get Zero support from Zyro).

I use a Fenix L2D CE torch and a Lockblock mount, have been doing so for years, very versatile. I use 2900mah Vapextech batteries and a smart charger. For the rear I use Smart 1/2 watt Superflash, takes 2 AAA's. These lights unclip fast and fit in the pocket, and the Fenix has multiple other uses. There are newer / brighter models, but I feel no need to upgrade, it is more than bright enough and I even used it on a 13 mile unlit railway path commute.

A bit over budget, but there are some cheaper alternatives and other options. Have a look at "The new what lights thread".
  • tbaker
    Thanks for the advice.

I couldn't find the ones you mentioned, but I've been looking at these:

http://www.chainreactioncycles.com/Mode ... elID=42475

http://www.chainreactioncycles.com/Mode ... elID=42464

The one pair are double the price, so just trying to see if they are worth the extra £'s.
  • alfablue
    At £30 not a bad price for the set. I don't know about the front light, the rears are good, the 1/2 watt ones are often available alone for around £11. They also make a 1 watt rear, or a 2x 1/2 watt - Google Smart Lunar R1 and R2.

I think the front may be fine, smart lights tend to do the job well for a cheap price. It won't be enough for riding unlit dark lanes, but then you will need to spend more. Should be plenty for being seen.
  • tbaker
    Brilliant, thank you.

I was just about to order http://www.chainreactioncycles.com/Mode ... elID=42464 and have read reviews that these are not waterproof and the rear doesnt last long with water spray from the rear tyre.
  • alfablue
    tbaker wrote:
    Brilliant, thank you.

I was just about to order http://www.chainreactioncycles.com/Mode ... elID=42464 and have read reviews that these are not waterproof and the rear doesnt last long with water spray from the rear tyre.
    well it seems hit and miss, though I have 4 of these and have used them for many years and providing you take care that the seal is in place they are problem free, at least for me.
  • Headhuunter
    Headhuunter Posts: 6,494
    We've only just slipped past the longest day of the year and the "which lights?" threads are already starting... The long slide to winter commences!
    Do not write below this line. Office use only.
  • bails87
    bails87 Posts: 12,998
    Planet X were doing the Smart lights pretty cheap a few weeks back, check out them before you buy.
    MTB/CX

"As I said last time, it won't happen again."
  • alfablue
    bails87 wrote:
    Planet X were doing the Smart lights pretty cheap a few weeks back, check out them before you buy.
    Wow, you're right. Same light set as CRC for £10 less http://www.planet-x-bikes.co.uk/i/q/LIS ... -light-set
  • Headhuunter
    Be aware that Smart rear lights can be a disaster in the rain. I've had 3 or 4 sets of Smart rear lights (bought a couple for £2.99 or something a few years back when they were on offer). All of them go doolally when they get sprayed with rain, they either switch off completely of refuse to switch off and you have to take the batts out. My 1/2 watt rear has packed up completely now. The best one is the newer 1 watt version which is OK if yuo smear grease or Vaseline round the seal. They're all fine if you have mudguards, it's spray from the back wheel which seems to affect them most... Clearly not deisgned by someone who rides in UK summer weather!
  • bails87
    Headhuunter

I've had three, two of them on my MTB. The ones on the MTB are/were left on during all my winter rides and I've never had a problem. I pre-emptively put a little grease on the seal though, so maybe I've been lucky.
    MTB/CX

• Headhuunter
    bails87 wrote:
    Headhuunter

I've had three, two of them on my MTB. The ones on the MTB are/were left on during all my winter rides and I've never had a problem. I pre-emptively put a little grease on the seal though, so maybe I've been lucky.

Yeah we've talked about them on here before and some people have agreed with me and others have said they've had no problems.... Not sure why, perhaps it's down to the type of bike and where the light is positioned and so how the spray hits the light.... I still use my 1 watter in the rain and it's usually OK with a bit of grease on the seal, but I have to remove the batts at the end of the ride or I find that it won't switch off, or it switches off and then switches on again by itself and next morning the batts are flat...
  • roger_merriman
    roger_merriman Posts: 6,165
    bails87 wrote:
    Headhuunter

Yeah we've talked about them on here before and some people have agreed with me and others have said they've had no problems.... Not sure why, perhaps it's down to the type of bike and where the light is positioned and so how the spray hits the light.... I still use my 1 watter in the rain and it's usually OK with a bit of grease on the seal, but I have to remove the batts at the end of the ride or I find that it won't switch off, or it switches off and then switches on again by itself and next morning the batts are flat...

My smart one watt is shielded under the seat, plus the bike has rear mudguards so not too bad, I also have a halfords cheapie hanging off the rack which might not be bright but it's remarkably tough!
  • motopatter
    motopatter Posts: 179
    how about one or two of these sets?

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/5w-Cree-LED-Bike- ... 3a67bfa9bc

or

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/5w-LED-Bike-Mount ... 255wt_1139

I think I will pick up a couple nearer the winter 8)
    wave your willy here !!!! :)
  • fatherted
    fatherted Posts: 199
    Look for the cateye LD610 (??) 5 LED rear light , i think cycleexpress have one for ~£19.

Front light ...... Cateye Uno - you might be able to find one for less than £20 ,

so , a bit more than you were planning but both are good , solid lights.

I don't think you can get them as a set any longer
  • bails87
    bails87 wrote:
    Headhuunter

Not sure why, perhaps it's down to the type of bike and where the light is positioned and so how the spray hits the light

Just to be clear, I meant 'proper' MTB rides in the winter. So the whole of the back of the bike covered in mud. When I get back onto the road I scrape the mud off the light so it's visible, and when I get home I leave it on while the bike gets hosed down.

The one on the road bike isn't really used during the rain and I've got guards so it doesn't get sprayed.

I've got a fibre flare and a helmet mounted rear LED too, as backups in case one fails, worth thinking about for the OP.
    MTB/CX

• andrewlwood
    andrewlwood Posts: 224
    I've recently put a couple of Blackburn Fleas on my bike - small and light, powerful enough. I'm not convinced by the proprietary USB charger dongle thing - seems too easy to lose - but otherwise they're good commuting lights.
  • meanredspider
    meanredspider Posts: 12,337
    I've used Blackburn Mars 3.0 lights through 2 Highland winters and they just work (so much so that I can never remember who makes them - post above just reminded me). Hardly ever change the batteries either. Nice'n'bright too.
    ROAD < Scott Foil HMX Di2, Volagi Liscio Di2, Jamis Renegade Elite Di2, Cube Reaction Race > ROUGH
  • tbaker
    Thanks all.

I went for these in the end.

http://www.planet-x-bikes.co.uk/i/q/LIS ... -light-set

Thank you once again.
  • joelsim
    joelsim Posts: 7,552
    I must get myself some grease. Even if I don't use it all over my bike, I can use it to stop steak from sticking to the griddle pan.

BTW where do you buy grease from?

FWIW I'm currently using a Cateye TL-LD1100 that I got on fleabay for £20 new, and a Cateye EL530 front light. Both are extremely bright. I'm supporting these with a Knog Beetle on the front and a Knog Frog on the back to flash, as well as a flashing helmet light on my Catlike.

Of course not much need for them now, but in a few months I'm pretty sure they will more than suffice.
  • Headhuunter
    Joelsim wrote:
    I must get myself some grease. Even if I don't use it all over my bike, I can use it to stop steak from sticking to the griddle pan.

BTW where do you buy grease from?

FWIW I'm currently using a Cateye TL-LD1100 that I got on fleabay for £20 new, and a Cateye EL530 front light. Both are extremely bright. I'm supporting these with a Knog Beetle on the front and a Knog Frog on the back to flash, as well as a flashing helmet light on my Catlike.

Of course not much need for them now, but in a few months I'm pretty sure they will more than suffice.

I use motor grease from Halfords, not so good for frying an omelette I'm afraid!
  • Kieran_Burns
    Kieran_Burns Posts: 9,757
    The LD1100 is flipping great - I use it and a LD610.

I reckon 15 LEDs out the back of the bike makes me visible 8)

I had a neighbour tell me that I was the clearest thing around when she followed me down the last couple of roads to home.

(I have the LD1100 on steady and the LD610 on flash to get the combo thing going)

My front lights are slightly out of the original budget.... (Vision 1 & 2 8) )
    Chunky Cyclists need your love too! :-)
    2009 Specialized Tricross Sport
    2011 Trek Madone 4.5
    2012 Felt F65X
    Proud CX Pervert and quiet roadie. 12 mile commuter
  • bails87
    Joelsim
    Halfords also do bike grease with Teflon. It's cheap and does the job.
    MTB/CX