Starting MTBing

jame58rown
jame58rown Posts: 263
edited July 2011 in MTB beginners
Hey guys, I'm a roadie of about 2 years, I'm in a club and have all the gear etc. However, I cycle through brechfa almost everyday since it's got some awesome 4 mile long climbs XD Anyway, I've heard the mtbing there is really good, and I could cycle the mtb there and back since I'm only ~20miles away.

My question is; can I just grab my mtb and ride a trail? This may be a stupid question but I have no idea what mtbing involves. Is is a dusty trail you pootle along on or are there tight corners and mounds and stuff? :P

Thanks in advance :')

Comments

• cooldad
    cooldad Posts: 32,599
    Just ride it and see, the Blue is very easy, the red has nothing that will kill you.
    Tight corners and mounds and stuff is what it's all about.
    How tight, moundy and stuffy depends on your speed.
    I don't do smileys.

There is no secret ingredient - Kung Fu Panda

London Calling on Facebook

Parktools
  • theshrew
    theshrew Posts: 169
    Just give it a go bud. MTB is much more interesting than pounding miles on the road.

Just do a bit of searching for info about bikes if your gonna buy one. Or borrow one first see if you like it.
  • mtb crazy
    mtb crazy Posts: 245
    go and ride, i started on the road but then wanted to start mtb and its much more fun! you learn so many new skills and its challenging but a good sense of achievement and a great rush :D
  • mac_man
    mac_man Posts: 918
    Check out videos on youtube. There's tons of material from trail centres on there... should give you some idea of what to expect.

My first experience of a trail centre was a revelation... this was Gisburn Forest up in East Lancs. I hadn't ridden my cheapo MTB properly off-road. Ever. So coming to a place with Berms and swoopy laugh-a-minute madness was brilliant. A lot of it was unrideable for me at the time, but since then I've mastered the basics and will happily have a go at most obstacles.

It was a real blast. That was 2 years ago and I haven't looked back since...

If you're used to a good quality bike I'd highly recommend hiring something decent for the day and just giving it a go. Maybe take a few tips on riding technique afore you set off as there's a few basics that will make all the difference to enjoyment. It's quite different from road riding... as a mate of mine found out when I took him out for the 1st time on a proper trail. But he had a fantastic time.

Enjoy!!!

Oh.. and 20 road miles on an MTB with knobblies will feel more like 40 compared to a road bike ;-)
    Cool, retro and sometimes downright rude MTB and cycling themed T shirts. Just MTFU.

By day: http://www.mtfu.co.uk
  • jame58rown
    jame58rown Posts: 263
    Thanks for all the replies guys :D

I will give it a go once I get some knobblies for my mtb XD

How dissapointed will I be If I'm imagining the trail to be similar to this:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=D4iU-EOJYK8

:wink:
  • snowden_88
    snowden_88 Posts: 174
    I wish I had those downhills in Norfolk

Plenty of single track though :)
    "it's like a gift, you know? It's like I can't control it"
  • andrewjoseph
    andrewjoseph Posts: 2,165
    jame58rown,

just be aware, that riding an mtb route, even the relatively easy 19km green/blue route, after a 20 mile ride on knobblies, and then back again, is going to be very tiring, take a long time and need a lot of water and food.

20 miles on knobblies may take 1.5 - 2 hours, perhaps 1.5 hours to do the trail, then maybe 2 hours home.

if you can get a lift to the trail head, then do so, you will have more time and energy to enjoy the trail.
    --
    Burls Ti Tourer for Tarmac, Saracen aluminium full suss for trails