Skoda advert

MrTapir
MrTapir Posts: 1,206
edited September 2011 in Pro race
Is the skoda advert full of actual footage, or is it staged? Its a cool advert...

Comments

• RichN95.
    RichN95. Posts: 27,241
    They're staged. The advert is a remake & re-edit of a longer advert they made three years ago. Same shots, different teams.
    Twitter: @RichN95
  • yourpaceormine
    yourpaceormine Posts: 1,245
    It's good but not as good as the old one that was on Eurosport (with the DS, mechanics running up a mountain carrying a roof rack complete with bikes).
  • yourpaceormine
    yourpaceormine Posts: 1,245
    And where is Dirk Hoffman this year?
  • greasedscotsman
    greasedscotsman Posts: 6,962
    And where is Dirk Hoffman this year?

Aren't they taking over as principal sponsor of the HTC team?
  • Gussio
    Gussio Posts: 2,452
    I really like that advert, much better than the rest of the dross that makes it onto ITV4....
  • prawny
    prawny Posts: 5,440
    That's mega, makes me want a skoda, although definately not a high milage 1 year old left hand drive model from a car supermarket.
    Saracen Tenet 3 - 2015 - Dead - Replaced with a Hack Frame
    Voodoo Bizango - 2014 - Dead - Hit by a car
    Vitus Sentier VRS - 2017
  • RichN95.
    edited July 2011
    andy_wrx wrote:

And here's the original long version from about three years ago. Same shots, different teams: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Scp5lo0TeIo

The original features: Phonak, Credit Agricole, Discovery Channel and Gerolsteiner (and CSC) - it's like some sort of Skoda curse.
  • Gingerflash
    Gingerflash Posts: 239
    "And where is Dirk Hoffman this year?"

I was wondering exactly that yesterday.

Love the Skoda ad, makes the cars and procycling look great.
  • OffTheBackAdam
    OffTheBackAdam Posts: 1,869
    Not seen much of Dirk this year, I've only noticed him once, I think it was a Giro stage. Perhaps the Right's Holders have jumped on his bit of viral marketing?
    I liked the old Skoda ad , with the roof rack being carried over the "Col" too!
    Remember that you are an Englishman and thus have won first prize in the lottery of life.
  • The Skoda ad is ace all right, thanks for the link to the earlier version.

Anyone know the band or artist whose track is used on it?
  • LangerDan
    LangerDan Posts: 6,132
    What's with the DS throwing his rider up on the bonnet and massaging his cramping legs? Col Du Brokeback?
    'This week I 'ave been mostly been climbing like Basso - Shirley Basso.'
  • ms_tree
    ms_tree Posts: 1,405
    I think it's great! What's the germanic euro-rock track playing? The old one was getting a bit stale but I am missing the dodgy looking bloke in hush puppies applauding on the side of the road!
    'Google can bring back a hundred thousand answers. A librarian can bring you back the right one.'
    Neil Gaiman
  • RichN95.
    Ms Tree wrote:
    What's the germanic euro-rock track playing?

Apparently it's not an actual song. It was written for the advert.
  • Vino2007
    Vino2007 Posts: 340
    Why go to all that effort but have the FDJ riders wear catlike, specialized and uvex helmets, could be better but still is best out there.
  • niblue
    niblue Posts: 1,387
    'Tis a great advert.
  • Greggyr
    Greggyr Posts: 1,075
    I STILL love this Skoda ad, the best car ad ever IMHO...Glad it's back on the ToB ITV4 coverage
  • bompington
    bompington Posts: 7,674
    Makes me want my bext car to be a skoda. Oh hang on, my current car is a skoda...

... which gets treated rougher than that, I can tell you! Where are the children, dogs, caravans, mud, snow...
  • Good advert, not as good as this one though:-

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nT8Hu3HIGVc
  • rebs
    rebs Posts: 891
    The ad works. I actually even considered getting a skoda as my current car is near death ha

It's a very good add. I'm not that keen on the guys cvarrying the bike rakes though
  • Pross
    Pross Posts: 43,201
    Not seen much of Dirk this year, I've only noticed him once, I think it was a Giro stage. Perhaps the Right's Holders have jumped on his bit of viral marketing?
    I liked the old Skoda ad , with the roof rack being carried over the "Col" too!

I thought of paying homage on yesterday's ToB stage but couldn't be bothered making a placard in the end!
  • Pross
    Really like the Yeti, might get one as next works car.
  • how to spot a cycling fan ... drives a skoda, holidays with vacansloeil, tells the time with festina, flooring by quickstep, watches sky on a sharp tv, htc phone, phonak hearing aid, never gets lost thanks to garmin, still uses wordperfect, and eats linda mccartney frozen food. drink of choice watneys red barrel with a martini chaser?
  • Pross
    I've only got Sky and Quickstep flooring (think our bathroom tiles were laid with Mapei products though and I used to have Tiscali internet). Will getting some of the other products make me quicker? :wink:
  • Dirk Hoffman is not as ubiquitous as he once was, but they are always there at the end of the Classics, that was always the territory for him anyway, TdF and Giro not as much.

But you have to applaud that guy, genius bit of marketing at a tiny price.
  • oodboo
    oodboo Posts: 2,171
    Don't like it. It shows the total disregard that racers have for anything that might slow them down. Throwing bottles away, chucking the wheel at the car etc.

I prefer this one:
    http://youtu.be/O4fs8gS7ANA

Guess what I drive...
    I love horses, best of all the animals. I love horses, they're my friends.

Strava
  • RichN95.
    oodboo wrote:
    Don't like it. It shows the total disregard that racers have for anything that might slow them down. Throwing bottles away, chucking the wheel at the car etc.

It's not real, it's just an advert. Or are you also angry at the way Meerkats have been taken out their natural habit and forced to sell car insurance?
  • oodboo
    RichN95 wrote:
    oodboo wrote:

It's not real, it's just an advert. Or are you also angry at the way Meerkats have been taken out their natural habit and forced to sell car insurance?

Yeah, don't get me started on the plight of those meerkats :)

I've seen the attitude that wannabe racers have at a couple of events I have attended and this has put me off taking part. Ok these were a couple of mountain bike events and not road and yes, I am tarring everyone with the same brush but my mind is made up. This advert just promotes that self centred attitude and I don't like it.

Strava
  • Pross
    What do you suggest a rider does with his used bottles? Drop back to the team car and ask them politely to refill them?
  • oodboo
    Pross wrote:
    What do you suggest a rider does with his used bottles? Drop back to the team car and ask them politely to refill them?
    I think the guys in the car should know what to do with the bottle but I'm just expressing my opinion, not providing solutions.

Strava