Tommy V Chapeau!!!

amd-sco
amd-sco Posts: 94
edited July 2011 in Pro race
What a ride today, loved the guy since his epic win in Le Tour 2004, 10 days in yellow heroic and magnificent. His attitude since exemplary, his attitude in races beautiful. He is why I've a stack of Bouyges Telecom jerseys in my kit drawer.

He wins....properly, combatitively, his palmares in 2011 truly wonderful.

Allez le petit blanc.

I (Heart) Tommy.
‘There is No Try. There is only Do. Or do not.’

Comments

• Bronzie
    Bronzie Posts: 4,927
    +1 - the guy never knows when to quit. Great to watch.

Allez V'eau-claire!
  • He never knows he's beaten does he? Outstanding cycling. Red number today by any chance?
  • avoidingmyphd
    avoidingmyphd Posts: 1,154
    He never knows he's beaten does he? Outstanding cycling. Red number today by any chance?
    Nope, no red number. It was awarded to Gutierrez shortly after Voeckler and Roy made their attack.
  • rick_chasey
    rick_chasey Posts: 75,661
    He always knows a good moment to be in front of the camera pulling faces and honking his bike

Corrected that for you.
  • Abdoujaparov
    Abdoujaparov Posts: 642
    He always knows a good moment to be in front of the camera pulling faces and honking his bike

Corrected that for you.

Yep, he certainly knows how to play to the crowd - not a bad thing by any means, but think he maybe goes a little far sometimes with pointless attacks.

Having said that, when he gets it right, he's awesome.
  • He always knows a good moment to be in front of the camera pulling faces and honking his bike

Corrected that for you.

Pointlessly but thanks.
  • afx237vi
    afx237vi Posts: 12,630
    amd-sco wrote:
    What a ride today, loved the guy since his epic win in Le Tour 2004, 10 days in yellow heroic and magnificent. His attitude since exemplary, his attitude in races beautiful. He is why I've a stack of Bouyges Telecom jerseys in my kit drawer.

Allez le petit blanc.

I (Heart) Tommy.

<pedant>

He didn't actually get a win 2004, he just wore the jersey.

</pedant>
  • nicensleazy
    nicensleazy Posts: 2,310
    The darling of the French public. A great rider and a great guy. He's superb for the sport and has a fantastic approach. I really wish him well in the TDF!
  • inkyfingers
    inkyfingers Posts: 4,400
    I can't imagine you'd find many with anything negative to say about him, he lights up every race he enters.
    "I have a lovely photo of a Camargue horse but will not post it now" (Frenchfighter - July 2013)
  • Doobz
    Doobz Posts: 2,800
    272-RTR2OJF1.jpg
    cartoon.jpg
  • cogidubnus
    cogidubnus Posts: 860
    That photo says it all.

Long may he continue lighting up the stages. Shame the OPL rider wouldn't work with him today
  • RichN95.
    RichN95. Posts: 27,241
    I can't imagine you'd find many with anything negative to say about him, he lights up every race he enters.

I used to have something negative to say about him. After he got the Yellow in 2004 he spent four or five years doing pointless attacks for the benefit of the cameras and the French public who lap up that sort of stuff (hence the derogatory nickname TV Tommy). I felt he was better than that.

However, in the last couple of years he's been making purposeful attacks and winning decent races. So chapeau.

Johnny Hoogerland has taken over his mantle of Mr Showboat.
    Twitter: @RichN95
  • amd-sco
    amd-sco Posts: 94
    afx237vi wrote:
    amd-sco wrote:

Allez le petit blanc.

I (Heart) Tommy.

<pedant>

He didn't actually get a win 2004, he just wore the jersey.

</pedant>

You're showing you age there mate
    http://www.urbandictionary.com/define.p ... epic%20win
    By most MODERN definitions his achievements in 04 were an epic win.
    pomo - Pedant
    ‘There is No Try. There is only Do. Or do not.’
  • Pross
    Pross Posts: 43,205
    Rides like a True Champion (copyright French Fighter 2010 all rights reserved)
  • Cleat Eastwood
    Cleat Eastwood Posts: 7,508
    Did you see his face today streaming in the rain, gritted teeth, the peloton 50metres behind and still he turns to ask VdB for assistance......and when it doesnt come.....he tries to power away. Awesome.

Theres a perfect breakaway stage on stage 10, I hope it gets stuck in again. Top man.
    The dissenter is every human being at those moments of his life when he resigns
    momentarily from the herd and thinks for himself.
  • afx237vi
    amd-sco wrote:
    You're showing you age there mate
    http://www.urbandictionary.com/define.p ... epic%20win
    By most MODERN definitions his achievements in 04 were an epic win.
    pomo - Pedant

Getting in a freak breakaway that gives you a 30 minute head start on the rest of the bunch is epic luck, not epic win :wink:
  • RichN95.
    afx237vi wrote:
    Getting in a freak breakaway that gives you a 30 minute head start on the rest of the bunch is epic luck, not epic win :wink:

This footballer disagrees

n_coruxo_jugadores_del_coruxo-176794.jpg
  • afx237vi
    Ending your career playing for the Spanish equivalent of Torquay United is epic fail. Sorry Oscar.
  • RichN95.
    afx237vi wrote:
    Ending your career playing for the Spanish equivalent of Torquay United is epic fail. Sorry Oscar.

I don't think they're as good as Torquay to be honest.