Gripshift going again.

Initialised
Initialised Posts: 3,047
edited July 2011 in The workshop
My 7-Speed gripshift is on it's way out, this one's only lasted about a year, the one before had about as much abuse before it went too. Should I be expecting to change it every year or am I doing something wrong?

Also what other types of shifter would work?
I used to just ride my bike to work but now I find myself going out looking for bigger and bigger hills.

Comments

• desweller
    desweller Posts: 5,175
    What do you mean, 'on the way out'? Shifters are usually second only to the frame and handlebars for reliability.
    - - - - - - - - - -
    On Strava.{/url}
  • nicklouse
    nicklouse Posts: 50,675
    more info needed.

what model?

and how is it not working?

a new set of cables every year is normal.
    "Do not follow where the path may lead, Go instead where there is no path, and Leave a Trail."
    Parktools :?:SheldonBrown
  • Initialised
    edited July 2011
    Unsure of the model. But it appears to be failing the same way as the last one.

The plastic housing has cracked, it changes up by itself unless I hold it, the ratchet action doesn't feel right and the twisty bit seems a little further from the main housing than normal.

Would I be able to replace it with a rapid fire shifter, what would this involve?

Or is there a 7-Speed grip shift that wont fall to bits after a year?
    I used to just ride my bike to work but now I find myself going out looking for bigger and bigger hills.
  • nicklouse
    nicklouse Posts: 50,675
    is it Sram Grip shift?

or the shimano copy?

any suitable trigger will work IF you can find any.
    "Do not follow where the path may lead, Go instead where there is no path, and Leave a Trail."
    Parktools :?:SheldonBrown
  • Initialised
    I believe it is low end SRAM

Would these work?

shimano_altus_8_speed_shifter_pods_slm310.jpg

Or would revoshift be better?
  • motopatter
    motopatter Posts: 179
    I have the same* (if not very similar) on my bike and I find they work perfectly. Will do the job :)

just make sure you get a 7 speed shifter as they are indexed and click one gear at a time

EDIT * same as the picture, not gripshift
    wave your willy here !!!! :)
  • Initialised
    NVM. Bought a set OF SRAM MRX hopefully they'll last a little longer.
  • gbsahne001
    gbsahne001 Posts: 1,973
    8 speed shifter will also work, you just have to remember to set the limits to the 7 speed block and remember not to shift up/dn depending upon which end you want to ignore.

Rode my 7 speed like that for a while, until I changed the back wheel and put an 8 speed block on.
  • Initialised
    Yeah I thought along those lines, but why stop at 8?

Anyway all fitted now, no indexing required for the rear, way near perfect straight away, had that it defo feels faster sensation that you only get from a good fettle or upgrade, on the way in this morning.
  • The Rookie
    The Rookie Posts: 27,812
    Because a 9 speed has different gear spacing and won't work with a 7 or 8 speed cassette meaning you have to convert everything to 9 speed now.

Simon
    Currently riding a Whyte T130C, X0 drivetrain, Magura Trail brakes converted to mixed wheel size (homebuilt wheels) with 140mm Fox 34 Rhythm and RP23 suspension. 12.2Kg.