7-Speed cassette Compatability

Andy Andy Andy
Andy Andy Andy Posts: 30
edited July 2011 in MTB workshop & tech
I need a new rear cassette for my bike which is running 7 speed shimano e-z fire shifters and an 'unbranded' shimano rear deailleur (ie. not tourney or Alivio, XT etc.) as the cassette on at the moment is a 6 speed and my 7 speed has gone walkabout (don't ask) I have 2 main questions:

1) Do I have to stick to Shimano 7-Speed cassettes given the different cable pull on sram systems (does that just affect shift derailleur match)?

At the moment it has a 28/38/48 triple chainset on it and originally had a 14-28 cassette on it (god knows what it has now but that doesn't really matter)

2) I'd like a lower lowest gear without going overboard. The top end atm is fine and I don't mind losing a bit off it if I can have a lower lowest. What cassette range would you suggest?

I might be persuaded to change derailleur to accomodate a more useful cassette but don't really want to change the shifters or spend a lot of money as this is for my 2nd 'hack' bike.

Comments

• nicklouse
    nicklouse Posts: 50,675
    any 7spd cassette will do.

just buy and fit.
    "Do not follow where the path may lead, Go instead where there is no path, and Leave a Trail."
    Parktools :?:SheldonBrown
  • Brilliant =) thanks for the quick reply. Any comments on the ratios? was the initial set up actually lacking at the low end in your experience or not? I realise that stronger fitter cyclists won't need as lower gears.
  • nicklouse
    nicklouse Posts: 50,675
    what ever you feel you want. but in the 30s.
    "Do not follow where the path may lead, Go instead where there is no path, and Leave a Trail."
    Parktools :?:SheldonBrown
  • TuckerUK
    TuckerUK Posts: 369
    Yes, that gearing is a bit on the tall side. Your biggest change to gearing will be by fitting MTB ratio chainrings (e.g. 22/32/42).
    "Coming through..."
  • I don't mind it being a little bit 'tall' as you say. It will be used as a bike for transport rather than fun so only roads and tracks. I've got my Focus Black Forest for the offroad fun riding. I'd rather not change the chainrings until needed as I'm reluctant to spend too much money on converting what is a mountain bike to get me around.

The bike is a Mongoose Rockadile AL (2006?) which will get some 26"slicks or semi slicks and the cassette sorted out, a new set of brake pads and it'll be set to go.

Thanks for your comments about the ratios though Tucker, confirms what my legs were telling me about the gearing making hills more effort.