Crank conversion?

mountain2000
mountain2000 Posts: 34
edited July 2011 in MTB workshop & tech
I want i single chain ring on the front, now can i do this by just taking one off the crank to leave just the middle sized one? or do i have to buy a single ringed crank?

Comments

• Anonymous
    Anonymous Posts: 79,667
    Of course you can just remove the chain rings you don't want.
  • Of course you can just remove the chain rings you don't want.

Brilliant cant wait to get rid of lever off the bars too, Thankyou
  • Anonymous
    Yeah, you can take the shifter trigger off too.
    BUT, assuming you have no chain device, I'd suggest leaving the front mech itself in place - and adjust the limit screws on it so that is sits over your chainring. That way it will help to prevent your chain coming off.
  • lostboysaint
    lostboysaint Posts: 4,250
    Yep, just remember that you will need a set of short bolts for the single ring.

I've recently 1x9'd my Inbred and found that the lower chain guide wasn't necessary (mech tension does it just fine, but that a top guide (or just use the mech cage) is useful. I went for the Superstar one.
    Trail fun - Transition Bandit
    Road - Wilier Izoard Centaur/Cube Agree C62 Disc
    Allround - Cotic Solaris
  • Yeah, you can take the shifter trigger off too.
    BUT, assuming you have no chain device, I'd suggest leaving the front mech itself in place - and adjust the limit screws on it so that is sits over your chainring. That way it will help to prevent your chain coming off.

No the plan is to remove everything and have a chain device, any recommendations?
  • Anonymous
    I haven't run a chain device in some years, so I can't offer anything, unfortunately. (back then, MRPs were all the rage).
    I can't justify removing my granny ring, since I use the one bike for everything.
  • I haven't run a chain device in some years, so I can't offer anything, unfortunately. (back then, MRPs were all the rage).
    I can't justify removing my granny ring, since I use the one bike for everything.

Cheers for your help :)
  • Anonymous
    Sorry, I just didn't want to leave it as though I was just ignoring your question!
  • lostboysaint
    lostboysaint Posts: 4,250
    Yeah, you can take the shifter trigger off too.

No the plan is to remove everything and have a chain device, any recommendations?

Yes, depending on what you're planning to do with the bike, don't bother with anything other than a top guide. I was hell-bent on going down the Superstar Plasma/MRP Lopes type route until a few people said don't bother, run it without and you'll find that the tension from the rear mech sorts any issues at the bottom of the chain ring, but a top guide is definitely a plan. Hence why I now have the £16 Superstar one.

If you're particularly desperate to have a chain device then I've used the Plasma and got on with it, before ditching it, and a few of my mates use the MRP Lopes. The other favourite amongst my lot is the E13 with the bash ring.
    Trail fun - Transition Bandit
    Road - Wilier Izoard Centaur/Cube Agree C62 Disc
    Allround - Cotic Solaris