Last minute Etape?

Guy on the work team has broken his arm - and as one of the few other regular cyclists they have asked me to fill in! I only do a 20mile round trip commute at the moment - with a very few longer rides. Is it even worth considering? would i make a fool of myself? Its the one on Monday so I'd have no time to train at all!

Comments

• ex-pat scot
    ex-pat scot Posts: 939
    Rude not to.

Make sure your bike is OK. Particularly that you've got modest gearing.
    Try and get a long(er) one in tonight or tomorrow - perhaps extend the commmute home to 2.5hrs if you can. Then rest.

Bike
    give it the good look over. Tighten all bolts. Double bottle cages. Check tyres for cuts, wear etc. Same with brake blocks. Check toolkit and spares esp tubes.

Take it very steady. Eat and drink often. Cruise past lots of people in the latter stages as your cautious approach pays off.

Saddle cream is your friend. As is sun-cream
    And be prepared for aching all over for a few days...
    Commute: Langster -Singlecross - Brompton S2-LX

Road: 95 Trek 5500 -Look 695 Aerolight eTap - Boardman TTe eTap

Offroad: Pace RC200 - Dawes Kickback 2 tandem - Tricross - Boardman CXR9.8 - Ridley x-fire
  • Wow I admire your ambition!

Practically speaking you need a docs note and photo ID plus I don't think the entry is transferable

Best of luck
  • Cleat Eastwood
    Cleat Eastwood Posts: 7,508
    go for it, even if it all goes tits it'll be hell of an experience. best of luck dude.
    The dissenter is every human being at those moments of his life when he resigns
    momentarily from the herd and thinks for himself.
  • Wow I admire your ambition!

Practically speaking you need a docs note and photo ID plus I don't think the entry is transferable

Best of luck

hadn't even thought of that! I'll check with them now
  • FransJacques
    FransJacques Posts: 2,148
    skip the sun-cream. sun cream, esp really heavy stuff like nivea is the best way to prevent your body regulating it's temperature. i notice a huge difference when do i use it, like when I'm touring and i'll be on the bike for 6-7 hours and outside most of the day.

it's a short stage - maybe 5 hours ourdoors and you start at 7am - so opt for a bit of a burn over sun stroke or heat stroke. they're worse for cycling efficiency.

it was "une chaleur penible" at the end of the 06 etape (or any etape for that matter).

these things are risk/reward calls.
    When a cyclist has a disagreement with a car; it's not who's right, it's who's left.
  • twotyred
    twotyred Posts: 822
    Is it even worth considering?

I'd say no as you are effectively completely untrained and I doubt you'd stay ahead of the broom wagon for long.

As for not using sunscreen that's crazy irresponsible advice. It might only take FJ 5hrs to get over the Galibier and up the Alpe but even if you stay ahead of the broom wagon you'll be out for a lot longer at high altitude, with lots of UV if its a sunny day. Better to overheat a bit than risk bad sunburn or worse.
  • Krys
    Krys Posts: 51
    The Riemann P20 all day sunscreen is brilliant - and doesn't cause that overheating effect. Going without is just daft...
  • AlunP
    AlunP Posts: 106
    Nice to know I am not the only one with a broken arm (dog attack while training) who is missing out. Entries are not transferable - you need photo ID to claim number.