Bike Security

WisePranker
WisePranker Posts: 823
edited July 2011 in Commuting general
I'm going to start using my bike when I'm out and about locally rather than using the car but I'm a bit concerned about the security of the bike.

The bike is a Boardman MTB which has quick release front and rear hubs. Is there an easy way of converting the hubs from QR to normal bolt through?
If this isn't straight forward, is there any type of lockable QR skewer?

For securing the bike I've got an Abus Granit X-Plus lock which came with the bike but I've no idea if it's any good!

Comments

• MattJ88
    MattJ88 Posts: 41
    Can't answer question re QR to normal.. but that lock is top notch
  • Decent primary lock, and yes you can convert to bolted hubs or locking skewers.

My prefered approach is to use a second good quality D lock if in a higher risk area or at least a cable lock which wraps around front wheel and main lock.

The rational for this is it is cost effective compared to locking skewers, offers more locking options, and importantly allows you to lock the bike at two points, thus preventing a thief from using the frame as a level against a single lock.

Unfortunately you can never make your bike 100% thief-proof so be careful where and when you park it,
    Nobody told me we had a communication problem
  • WisePranker
    Decent primary lock, and yes you can convert to bolted hubs or locking skewers.

Jeez, I didn't expect the skewers to be that much :shock:

The bike is only going to be locked and left in the town centre when I'm shopping and not too often so hopefully it'll be reasonably safe. I've just been hunting about in the garage and I've got a second D-Lock, a Magnum Plus which came with a cable extension so I'll be able to use the cable off that with the Abus.

The only problem is that the Abus weighs a ton and is too big to clip to the frame so I'll have to carry it in my bag!
  • MattJ88
    Keep bike locked as close as possible to whatever it is you are locking it too.

Some people also suggest knocking the gears right down once you've parked up without moving the chain (although you need to remember to put them back to where they were before you ride off again!) - this will result in noisy clunks if someone does attempt to ride it off
  • simon_e
    simon_e Posts: 1,706
    The Abus should be OK. Put your D-lock through frame, rear wheel and solid post, use a cable or another lock on the front wheel and downtube.
    http://www.londoncyclist.co.uk/secure/h ... your-bike/
    http://www.lfgss.com/thread52914.html
    Does the seat have QR? If it's left in the same place regularly that can get lifted in seconds once a dedicated tealeaf has clocked it a few times.

You can get allen skewers cheaply. Not thief-proof, but better than QRs. And make sure it's insured - at least then if the worst happens you can replace it.

If you're really bothered you can either find a safer place to park it or get a less attractive bike for knocking about town. Plenty on ebay (restrict search to <10miles) and local paper/admag. Or put a wanted on the classifieds here.
    Aspire not to have more, but to be more.
  • andrewlwood
    andrewlwood Posts: 224
    MattJ88 wrote:
    Some people also suggest knocking the gears right down once you've parked up without moving the chain (although you need to remember to put them back to where they were before you ride off again!) - this will result in noisy clunks if someone does attempt to ride it off
    Interesting, hadn't heard that. From the complete lack of interest a car alarm generates from passers-by, I can't really see this having much effect beyond stretching your gear cable though.
  • Headhuunter
    Headhuunter Posts: 6,494
    MattJ88 wrote:
    Keep bike locked as close as possible to whatever it is you are locking it too.

On the club ride I go to, people oten leave their multi thousand quid bikes piled up outside the cafe, unlocked at the start of the ride whilst they sit outside, behind a barrier supping a coffee before the ride starts. Many of them stick the bike into highest gear (large chainring/small rear), or drop the chain off the chainring, so that if someone tries to quickly ride off with the bike, they will have problems....

As for my commuter bikes, I lock mine outside on a proper Sheffield/bike rack, attached with 2 D locks (a Kryptonite and a Squire), both through the wheel, frame and rack. Together they weigh several kilos but I have never had a bike nicked in 5 years riding in London and it's good fitness training!
    Do not write below this line. Office use only.
  • simon_e
    simon_e Posts: 1,706
    On the club ride I go to, people oten leave their multi thousand quid bikes piled up outside the cafe, unlocked at the start of the ride whilst they sit outside, behind a barrier supping a coffee before the ride starts. Many of them stick the bike into highest gear (large chainring/small rear), or drop the chain off the chainring, so that if someone tries to quickly ride off with the bike, they will have problems....
    And onlookers can laugh at the sight of lycra-clad mamils trying to chase after him in their race shoes and cleats.
    Aspire not to have more, but to be more.
  • Headhuunter
    Headhuunter Posts: 6,494
    Simon E wrote:
    And onlookers can laugh at the sight of lycra-clad mamils trying to chase after him in their race shoes and cleats.

Yup probably, however if Mr Thief jumped on the bike without checking the gearing, he would be stuck and it only takes 2 secs to get out of the cafe forecourt area and collar the b'stard...
    Do not write below this line. Office use only.
  • joelsim
    joelsim Posts: 7,552
    Simon E wrote:

Yup probably, however if Mr Thief jumped on the bike without checking the gearing, he would be stuck and it only takes 2 secs to get out of the cafe forecourt area and collar the b'stard...

And once they've collared the thieving toad, it's much easier to get the chain off the bike and round the f*cker's throat.
  • AndyManc
    AndyManc Posts: 1,393
    There's only 2 100% resolutions to bike security.

1. Get a dirt cheap bike, one that cost so little you won't care if it's stolen.

2. Get a folder and take it everywhere you go.

Some cities are now (will be) offering secure compounds/lockers , it's the way forward.

Specialized Hardrock Pro/Trek FX 7.3 Hybrid/Specialized Enduro/Specialized Tri-Cross Sport
    URBAN_MANC.png
  • WisePranker
    I was thinking that my bike would be nice and secure when it's at work as it'll be locked up in an underground car park in an ambulance station.
    I got into work this morning and one of the guys has had his bike nicked from the car park. They've taken the bike but left the D-lock, still locked, attached to the railing!
    Looks like it's not as secure as we thought at work!
  • MattJ88
    Surely there is CCTV in that carpark though?
  • WisePranker
    MattJ88 wrote:
    Surely there is CCTV in that carpark though?

No, nothing!
  • MichaelW
    MichaelW Posts: 2,164
    Pitlock and Pinheads are pretty thief-proof and expensive, for leaving expensive bikes all day on the street.
    The cheap security skewers like Tranz-X all use the same 5-sided key. They prevent casual messing around and in my opinion are sufficient for shopping use BUT a determined thief will have the key.

Allen key skewers have a bit of security but are mainly about reduced weight and improved hold.
  • bails87
    bails87 Posts: 12,998
    MichaelW wrote:
    Pitlock and Pinheads

Are they a unique 'key' or are they just a standard head that anyone could buy?
    MTB/CX

"As I said last time, it won't happen again."
  • jeremyrundle
    jeremyrundle Posts: 1,014
    Again..................... Pinhead
    Peds with ipods, natures little speed humps

Banish unwanted fur - immac a squirrel
    http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article ... heads.html
  • jeremyrundle
    edited July 2011
    see below

• jeremyrundle
    bails87 wrote:
    MichaelW wrote:
    Pitlock and Pinheads

For the answer why not go to Pinheads website :!:

• bails87
    bails87 Posts: 12,998
    bails87 wrote:
    MichaelW wrote:
    Pitlock and Pinheads

For the answer why not go to Pinheads website :!:
    :roll: Because the person recommending them on here may well know the answer.

You might, in which case a 'yes' or 'no' is easier than writing a pointless response.
    MTB/CX

"As I said last time, it won't happen again."