Can anyone give me an opinion on the Trek 2.1?

Scrappaman
Scrappaman Posts: 58
edited July 2011 in Road buying advice
Hi All,

I have recently come around to the idea of owning a road bike having taken a basic one for a ride recently. I am going into my LBS today to look at a Trek 2.1 which is on offer for £900 with £100 of free accessories.

I am new to this and as such would very much appreciate any feedback people can give me on whether or not it is a decent bike. I intend to commute to work (10 miles each way) and essentially replace my car with this bike. I currently ride a £200 mountain bike, a Giant Rock, for around 70-100 miles a week, so any road bike will be a step up.

Below are the specs: all help is appreciated.

Sizes Available 50 cm, 52 cm, 54 cm, 56 cm, 58 cm, 60 cm, 62 cm
Frame Alpha Black Aluminum
Fork Bontrager Race, carbon legs, SpeedTrap compatible
Wheels Bontrager SSR (43cm, 650c)
Shifters Shimano 105 STI, 10 speed
Front Derailleur Shimano 105
Rear Derailleur Shimano 105
Crank Shimano R600, 50/34 or Shimano R-553 50/39/30
Cassette Shimano 105 11-28, 10 speed
Saddle Bontrager Affinity 1, steel rails
Seatpost Bontrager Carbon, 20mm offset
Handlebars Bontrager Race VR-C, 31.8mm
Stem Bontrager Race Lite, 7 degree, 31.8mm
Headset 1-1/8" integrated, semi-cartridge bearings
Brakeset Tektro R540 w/Shimano 105 STI levers

Thank you!

Comments

• the_fuggler
    the_fuggler Posts: 1,228
    Took one out on a test run for a couple of miles (expect you'll get lots of advice suggesting you do the same!). I thought it was pretty decent, with the 105 groupset functioning well. Wheels were probably the weak point (as is often the case at that level).

That 1k price point is very competitive though, with bikes from Cube, Specalized, Cannondale and various others getting good reviews.

Ultimately, your best bet is to ride it and, if you like it, go for it. I've spent months test riding bikes at around that price point. There really isn't much in it to my uneducated eye, so if you find one you like, take the plunge otherwise you'll tie yourself in knots!
    FCN 3 / 4
  • Scrappaman
    Scrappaman Posts: 58
    Thanks very much for your reply The Fuggler! I took your advice and positive comments and placed my order today.

Thanks again :)
  • the_fuggler
    the_fuggler Posts: 1,228
    Good man - wish I'd taken my own advice months ago as I ended up buying the first bike I test rode!!
    FCN 3 / 4