More on Zabriskie's Vegan diet.

rick_chasey
rick_chasey Posts: 75,661
edited July 2011 in Pro race
In the wall street journal here

Comments

• LangerDan
    LangerDan Posts: 6,132
    You have to hand it to Father Vaughters - he is certainly prepared to take new approaches with his teams eating habits. Besides Dave Zs faux-vegan diet, we've had Wiggins weight-loss programme, Allen Lim's rice cakes and Tom "Eskimo" Danielsons special anti-fat diet. (Not to mention letting Thor spend much of the 2010/2011 winter existing solely on cake)

BTW, I don't think he was a vegan but did Urs Zimmerman podium in '86 Tour and 88 Giro as a vegetarian? Stephen Roche made a comment in his book about Urs exisiting on a diet of "muesli and peppers"
    'This week I 'ave been mostly been climbing like Basso - Shirley Basso.'
  • Robert Millar was/is a vegetarian
  • rajMAN
    rajMAN Posts: 429
    In the wall street journal here

Interesting article, thanks. I have always thought that after a heavy meat based meal how knackered you can feel, hence lots of energy going into digestion. :)
  • Chrissylaa
    Chrissylaa Posts: 19
    Robert Millar was/is a vegetarian

Incorrect.Eating fish and chicken precludes him.
  • BarryBonds
    BarryBonds Posts: 344
    vegetarians are ALL analisers
  • dave_1
    dave_1 Posts: 9,512
    LangerDan wrote:
    You have to hand it to Father Vaughters - he is certainly prepared to take new approaches with his teams eating habits. Besides Dave Zs faux-vegan diet, we've had Wiggins weight-loss programme, Allen Lim's rice cakes and Tom "Eskimo" Danielsons special anti-fat diet. (Not to mention letting Thor spend much of the 2010/2011 winter existing solely on cake)

BTW, I don't think he was a vegan but did Urs Zimmerman podium in '86 Tour and 88 Giro as a vegetarian? Stephen Roche made a comment in his book about Urs exisiting on a diet of "muesli and peppers"

I never read or heard at the time that Zimmerman was vegetarian in 1986. The only rider I can recall who was reported as vegetarian was gotheteeshirt2 . I think gtts could be described as vegetarian but did he eat chicken or only fish? Anyways, good on Zabriskie. I hope he wins a stage, shows it doable as vegan
  • iainf72
    iainf72 Posts: 15,784
    LangerDan wrote:

Richard Moore also mentions this in Slaying the Badger.
    Fckin' Quintana … that creep can roll, man.