Orbea vs. Specialized attention to detail

vorsprung
vorsprung Posts: 1,953
edited July 2011 in Road buying advice
My old Orbea has a tiny plastic disk protecting the head tube from cable rub. My new Specialized doesn't.

Pictures of the problem here

This might be a minor issue but it would be so easy to fix.

Comments

• rolf_f
    rolf_f Posts: 16,015
    There's quite a few places you get cable rub - I just go around and put frame protector over each. My Look has proper cable mounts on the head tube to keep the cables from rubbing but I had to put the frame protector on the Ribble.

You can do a nice diy job with little effort - that duct tape looks far worse than any cable rub!
    Faster than a tent.......
  • Pseudonym
    Pseudonym Posts: 1,032
    vorsprung wrote:

so what's stopping you..?
  • vorsprung

Yes, you can buy sticker kits or do what I did and use duct tape

But that's not the point. The Orbea had cable protection on it straight from the factory. The Specialized did not. It's not a weight or cost issue. It's a lack of attention to detail.
  • vorsprung
    Pseudonym wrote:
    vorsprung wrote:

so what's stopping you..?

I did - as the pictures show. But a Specialized Roubaix Comp isn't a cheap bike. If it is easy prevent this problem why don't Specialized do something about it?
  • My Spesh (both of them) came with a pack of frame protectors so you can apply them yourself.

My Scott MTB also came with them, have you checked the owners mannual etc ?
  • graeme_s-2
    graeme_s-2 Posts: 3,382
    Could it be that the shop where you bought the Orbea did this when they built the bike for you, whereas your Specialized supplier didn't bother. Might even be down to the individual mechanic who built the bike as opposed to a difference between the two manufacturers.
  • vorsprung
    Rolf F wrote:
    You can do a nice diy job with little effort - that duct tape looks far worse than any cable rub!

Tee hee..yes it looks bloody awful. The other side has a more stylish sculpted piece of duct tape
  • vorsprung
    Graeme_S wrote:
    Could it be that the shop where you bought the Orbea did this when they built the bike for you, whereas your Specialized supplier didn't bother. Might even be down to the individual mechanic who built the bike as opposed to a difference between the two manufacturers.

Yes, could be something like this. I got the Orbea from a local bike shop in Taunton and the Specialized from the nearest "Specialized Concept Store" in Plymouth
  • explosifpete
    explosifpete Posts: 1,327
    most (good) bikes come with them but not all shop put them on
  • Wamas
    Wamas Posts: 256
    My specialized came with these fitted (probably the mechanic in the bike shop ), my scott supplied them, but the shop hadn't fitted them.

I agree with others, it is down to the mechanic who fitted the bike.

I prefer to have them supplied but not fitted, one of the stickers fitted to the specialized wasn't quite in the right place so there was still a slight rub, until I replaced it.

As they were supplied on my Scott, I fitted them myself and know they are in the best place to prevent rub.
  • weapons
    weapons Posts: 367
    My orca has a headtube badge that serves a second purpose as a cable guide so the cables don't even touch the frame, hence no cable rub! Tiny attention to detail make the difference I'd say.
  • izza
    izza Posts: 1,561
    My tarmac came with them fitted.

You just had a mechanic having an off day.
  • gkerr4
    gkerr4 Posts: 3,408
    my s-works roubaix came with them fitted too - and not by shop mechanics as I bought it frame only and it arrived in unopened box!