Tour Podium Predictions

sonny73
sonny73 Posts: 2,203
edited July 2011 in Pro race
Out of interest what are your predictions for the top 3 in the GC for the Tour? Obviously many of us have picked a GC winner for the PTP but I was curious as to your 1,2,3's.

Comments

• rick_chasey
    rick_chasey Posts: 75,661
    Andy, Contador, Frank.
  • Cleat Eastwood
    Cleat Eastwood Posts: 7,508
    Boonen, Voight, Cav.....well he ^^^ started it.
    The dissenter is every human being at those moments of his life when he resigns
    momentarily from the herd and thinks for himself.
  • inkyfingers
    inkyfingers Posts: 4,400
    Contador
    Evans
    Frank Scleck
    "I have a lovely photo of a Camargue horse but will not post it now" (Frenchfighter - July 2013)
  • pb21
    pb21 Posts: 2,171
    1 Evans
    2 Contador
    3 F Schleck

Before the start of the tour I would have said

1 Contador
    2 Evans
    3 A Schleck
    Mañana
  • Gazzaputt
    Gazzaputt Posts: 3,227
    1.Wiggins
    2.Evans
    3. F. Shleck
  • RichN95.
    RichN95. Posts: 27,241
    1. A Schleck
    2. Evans
    3. Contador
    Twitter: @RichN95
  • tomb8555
    tomb8555 Posts: 229
    Contador

And 2 of:
    A Schleck
    Evans
    Basso

Also:
    Wiggins (I think his attitude is way better this year - a bit of a wildcard but perhaps good for top 5-10)

Whilst I don't believe Contador is clean, I would quite like the spectacle of him winning Giro/Tour/Vuelta in the same year.
  • domhopson
    domhopson Posts: 259
    1. Contador
    2. Evans
    3. F Schlek
  • Ben6899
    Ben6899 Posts: 9,686
    1. Contador (he looks to have recovered from the Giro well)
    2. Evans (astonishing rider, but not quite at Contador's level. Because he's clean?)
    3. Could be one of a few - Schleck(s), Wiggins...

Basso would have been on my podium, but his preparation was marred by injury and he hasn't looked all that good so far. Early days though.
    Ben

Bikes: Donhou DSS4 Custom | Condor Italia RC | Gios Megalite | Dolan Preffisio | Giant Bowery '76
    Instagram: https://www.instagram.com/ben_h_ppcc/
    Flickr: https://www.flickr.com/photos/143173475@N05/
  • cogidubnus
    cogidubnus Posts: 860
    edited July 2011
    Bases on my PTP:

1. Wiggins
    2. Evans
    3. A Schleck

I think Bertie will get sick of the boos and won't put his heart into it, and if A Schleck is loosing time to Wiggins on a steep incline he's got serious issues with his form imo
  • sonny73
    Yep same for me, my original prediction and preferred outcome.

1. Wiggins
    2. Evans
    3. A Schleck

Though if that doesn’t come off for Wiggins I can see Cadel winning it and I would personally be pleased to see that over an AS or AC win.
  • milton50
    milton50 Posts: 3,856
    I think this Tour is going to be hard to predict and quite changeable with people having good days followed by bad days. But if I had to say now, I'd go with:

1. Contador
    2. Evans
    3. A. Schleck/Gesink/Wiggins
  • 1. Andy Schleck
    2. Contador
    3. Evans
  • afx237vi
    afx237vi Posts: 12,630
    Contador
    Schleck A
    Gesink

Evans is going well, but he's cursed with bad luck and something bad is bound to happen sooner or later.
  • Cumulonimbus
    Cumulonimbus Posts: 1,730
    Before the tour

A Schleck
    Contador
    Sanchez

Would swop Evans in for Sanchez now though. Concerned about Andy's performance yesterday.
  • Salsiccia
    Salsiccia Posts: 405
    Based on what we've seen so far:

Contador
    Evans
    Schleck, A
    I was only joking when I said
    by rights you should be bludgeoned in your bed
  • TheStone
    TheStone Posts: 2,291
    Andy
    Bertie
    VdB
    exercise.png
  • cal_stewart
    cal_stewart Posts: 1,840
    after yesterday would say that cuddles and wiggo look good as wiggo is not the best at that type of finish and did alot better than usual. Think wiggo will climb as well as cuddles. its down to how well bertie and andy do for me. and its not looking good
    eating parmos since 1981

Canyon Ultimate CF SLX Aero 09
    Cervelo P5 EPS
    www.bikeradar.com/forums/viewtopic.php?f=40044&t=13038799
  • cogidubnus
    cogidubnus Posts: 860
    I think the time trial is going to be crucial this year. If brad and Cuddles stick in there with the pure climbers it could get very interesting
  • cal_stewart
    cal_stewart Posts: 1,840
    think the battle between cuddles and brad will be close
    eating parmos since 1981

Canyon Ultimate CF SLX Aero 09
    Cervelo P5 EPS
    www.bikeradar.com/forums/viewtopic.php?f=40044&t=13038799
  • tim_wand
    tim_wand Posts: 2,552
    GTC for Tour come Paris

1 , Berty
    2. Andy Schleck
    3. Poison Dwarf (Sorry Evans)

Gree n Cav
    White Geraint Thomas
    Polka Dot Berty

Then come christmas something Iffy in Bertys Turkey and its All Andy Schleck's
  • patchy
    patchy Posts: 779
    1. Andy Schleck
    2. Contador
    3. Evans

4. Wiggins
    5. Gesink

Green: Cav, by the skin of his teeth from Gilbert
    White: Gesink
    Polka: Schleck

I think Andy's quite happy with the firepower under the bonnet and will come into form as we hit the mountains.

Contador's a bit too ragged, knackered from the Giro and wasting too much energy this week, but he'll drag it through on sheer talent (or cow juice). E

Evans is in amazing form - too hot, I think, and he'll be fading come the Alps.

Wiggins will grind through, lose a fair bit in the mountains and take back time in the final TT;

Gesink is nearly there but not mentally hard enough yet. 2012 will be his year for the podium.

Where's the other Schleck? I think he'll have to bury himself in a couple of mountain stages for Andy - which he will - and will drop out of the top five. He'll still be top ten though. Although, if Andy doesn't HTFU and drop Frank, he'll open the door to Contador winning and come in bridesmaid again. But I think he will discover his ruthless streak this year.
    point your handlebars towards the heavens and sweat like you're in hell
  • MaxwellBygraves
    MaxwellBygraves Posts: 1,353
    I genuinely think Wiggins has a great shot at podium.

I can see the time trial being decisive. If Wiggins can limit his losses in the mountains (which I think is quite possible as he is as light as he's ever been and in good form) then he can take a lot of time back in the time trial, especially from the likes of Basso, VdB, both Shlecks, Gesink and Sanchez.

Also an interesting first week as both Contador and A Shleck appear to be a bit below par - of course too early to write them off.
    "That's it! You people have stood in my way long enough. I'm going to clown college! " - Homer
  • Cumulonimbus
    Cumulonimbus Posts: 1,730
    Not sure if it is relevant here but John Gadret is certainly feeling the effects of the Giro. Must have gone deeper than Contador did but it shows the challenge ahead of Alberto.

http://www.cyclingnews.com/news/hard-re ... ohn-gadret
  • sonny73
    Not sure if it is relevant here but John Gadret is certainly feeling the effects of the Giro. Must have gone deeper than Contador did but it shows the challenge ahead of Alberto.

http://www.cyclingnews.com/news/hard-re ... ohn-gadret
    It was a swine of a course eh, can't say Im surprised, but Contador seems to be made of stronger stuff for now. But yes I agree I think Contador may come unstuck.
  • greeny12
    greeny12 Posts: 759
    I had Andy Schleck down to win it in PTP but I now think his brother is the better shot out of the two of them. If he straps that Camelbak on he could even do OK in the TT!

So:

1 F Schleck
    2 C Evans
    3 B Wiggins

OK the last one is a bit more heart than head.

Of the others, Bertie would have to be some sort of Superman to keep his mind on the job amid the boos (and don't forget the crowd get a LOT closer in the mountains) and his limbs fresh after the Giro.

A Schleck and Basso don't *seem* to have the form, Gesink possibly compromised by the crash. And the RadioShack old guard good for top ten, no more.

Either way it's gripping stuff so far - not something you normally associate with the Tour's first week...
    My cycle racing blog: http://cyclingapprentice.wordpress.com/

If you live in or near Sussex, check this out:
    http://ontherivet.ning.com/
  • Abdoujaparov
    Abdoujaparov Posts: 642
    Think some people are getting a bit carried away with what we've seen so far.

Just cos Evans can sprint on a short hill doesn't mean he can handle the high mountains or a TT. In fact, maybe his form so far is a negative indicator? Not many people are top notch climbers and puncheurs at the same time.

My picks to do well over all haven't changed:

Contador
    A Schleck
    Gesink

Reckon A Schleck has a good chance of beating Contador though.
  • rick_chasey
    rick_chasey Posts: 75,661
    Think some people are getting a bit carried away with what we've seen so far.

Just cos Evans can sprint on a short hill doesn't mean he can handle the high mountains or a TT. In fact, maybe his form so far is a negative indicator? Not many people are top notch climbers and puncheurs at the same time.

My picks to do well over all haven't changed:

Contador
    A Schleck
    Gesink

Reckon A Schleck has a good chance of beating Contador though.

Gesink, even after his crash?