chain rubbing on front mech

scotto
scotto Posts: 381
edited July 2011 in MTB workshop & tech
On my gt avalanche the chain rubs like mad on the front mech when in the outermost ring on the crank and the smaller 3 rings on the cassette.

I have used the parker book to adjust the low screw and got that right, but even with the hi screw right out I still get the same problem, the chain does not fall off at either end..

I should add that I have just put a new chain on and cut that one link short but am going to put another chain on when it arrives, but can anyone geuss what the issue may be please or could it be the shorter chain causing the issue?

many thanks

Comments

• nicklouse
    nicklouse Posts: 50,675
    sounds like not enough tension in the cable as the mech is not moving out enough.
    "Do not follow where the path may lead, Go instead where there is no path, and Leave a Trail."
    Parktools :?:SheldonBrown
  • JonnyN
    JonnyN Posts: 181
    Try adding tension to the cable.
    "Time you enjoy wasting, is not a waste of time"

"I'm too young to be too old for this shit"

Specialized FSRxc Expert 2008
    Kona Stinky 2008 (Deceased)
    Trek Scratch Air 8 2010 (Work in Progress)
  • scotto
    thanks, is this a case of undoing the bolt and pulling the cable really tight then doing it back up again?
  • nicklouse
    nicklouse Posts: 50,675
    no use the adjuster.

Try reading the How tos on Parktools as it seems the info you have been reading is seriously lacking.
    "Do not follow where the path may lead, Go instead where there is no path, and Leave a Trail."
    Parktools :?:SheldonBrown
  • scotto
    ok thanks will do, info was from the park book btw not parker :-
    ) my mistake, will read some more and give it a go.
  • captainfly
    captainfly Posts: 1,001
    Ifyou can physical pull the front mech far enough out to clear the chain then it is a matter of tesion, if you can't get this with the barrea adjuster then shift to the smallest ring, remove all the tension from the barrel adjuster. set the lower limit screw so the mech just clears the chain on the inside, then loosen the cable pinch bolt and take up any slack, it doesn't have to be pulled tight, then retighten the cable pinch bolt. You SHOULD then be able to tweek the shifting with the barrel adjust on the shifter.
    Even then front mechs can be a pain to set up imo.
    -_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_
    Mongoose Teocali
    Giant STP0

Why are MTB economics; spend twice as much as you intended, but only half as much as you wish you could afford? :roll: