Iron Horse - Why........?

aneesh99
aneesh99 Posts: 67
edited July 2011 in MTB general
I don't know if this has already been discussed on the forum, if so, apologies, because I'm about to rant.

We all know that IH went under due to some epically sh*t guys at the top, so I'll focus my rant on what the hell Dorel have done to this company. Why, oh why, have IH gone from making bikes like the 6 Point and Sunday to whatever the hell this is supposed to be?

http://www.ironhorsebikes.com/full-susp ... warrior-35

I still own an '09 6.4 and love it, one of the best bikes I have ever ridden, someone please explain how this happens to a company like IH? I suppose it's not the first time it's ever happened and it won't be the last :(
09 Iron Horse 6Point4
05 Kona King Kikapu

Comments

• nicklouse
    nicklouse Posts: 50,675
    I suppose they are just making what they have always made.

Did you ever see what they made before they got in trouble?

looks similar.
    "Do not follow where the path may lead, Go instead where there is no path, and Leave a Trail."
    Parktools :?:SheldonBrown
  • aneesh99
    I wouldn't equate this crap to what they have made, like I said, I and a lot of other 6 Point and Sunday owners have nothing but good things to say about their bikes
    09 Iron Horse 6Point4
    05 Kona King Kikapu
  • jay12
    jay12 Posts: 6,306
    it's quite hard to see as to what the thinking behind this was, but i'm guessing to get back to what they used to be they have to start from the beginning. hopefully this is just the start of it and it won't be long before we see high end bikes coming from iron horse.

but as it's the new managment, they might have decided to sell only cheap bikes that would be sold to people who are starting out
  • aneesh99
    Stop gap for Dorel since they already own GT and Cannondale who knock out half decent machines?
    09 Iron Horse 6Point4
    05 Kona King Kikapu
  • Raymondavalon
    Raymondavalon Posts: 5,346
    Yup bargain basement components all the way
    A good way to get a brand into the marketplace at a reasonable cost. As Jay12 said, give it a little time and the pedigrees may outshine the nags in the long term.

If not, count your blessings that you got a decent IronHorse whilst they still made them, it will be unique
  • Peripheral
    Peripheral Posts: 18
    "Concur any and all cross country trails with the Warrior 3.5 which features suspension frame and fork to maintain stability and control through bumps, rocks and roots."

Who makes the websites for these manufacturers?

You would think the person writing the blurb would at least speak English proficiently. The GT site is even worse...
  • aneesh99
    Maybe to lower costs even more, they moved all the management and PR out to Taiwan as well? :lol:
    09 Iron Horse 6Point4
    05 Kona King Kikapu
  • Steve_F
    Steve_F Posts: 682
    A picture of their 'lovely' Warrior 3.5 full suspension and the first line of the blurb:

"Aluminum hard tail frame"

How could anyone trust buying one of their bikes? Actually why would anyone buy one, there's nothing that looks good in the range at all unless it's free.

Got to agree, I loved the IHs with DW link sus, the 6.4 has been turned into a bit of a play bike and only gets brought out for likes of gravity enduros or uplift days. Really sad to see them go this way.

Going the same way Muddy Fox did after I bought one of the last good ones in 94, think I must curse companies! Actually I bought a Saracen just before they got their act together so it has worked the other way too.
    Current steed is a '07 Carrera Banshee X
    + cheap road/commuting bike
  • Atz
    Atz Posts: 1,383
    For FS, they've also lost their license on the suspension so they're having to use their own designs now.
  • aneesh99
    Yeah, I remember IH's ongoing battle with Dave Weagle, apparently, they owed him a ton of dough in royalties or some such crap.

True say on the gravity enduro, I took it to Alpe D'Huez last year, and I was loving it! Had a go on my mates Alpine 160, that was pretty good too, then had a go on my other mates Enduro, it was sh*te :)
    09 Iron Horse 6Point4
    05 Kona King Kikapu
  • mac_man
    mac_man Posts: 918
    WOW... that's a chronically crap website with some seriously low-end products on there.
    I can't understand why a company would buy the assets of a defunct company and then try and rope people in with this old dross. The frames are probably generic tat knocked up in some low-end BSO factory in China.

Talk about living on past glories... these are an embarrassment!!!

Speaking of Saracen though, I bought an '08 Mantra 3 about six months before the company was reborn. And it's actually pretty good. As good (if not better) spec than other bikes at the time, and it had great reviews back then as well.

But shame on IH's new owners... this looks like another bike brand destined for the scrapyard. You can't rebuild a brand with sh!te like this.
    Cool, retro and sometimes downright rude MTB and cycling themed T shirts. Just MTFU.

By day: http://www.mtfu.co.uk
  • mac_man
    mac_man Posts: 918
    WOW... that's a chronically crap website with some seriously low-end products on there.
    I can't understand why a company would buy the assets of a defunct company and then try and rope people in with this old dross. The frames are probably generic tat knocked up in some low-end BSO factory in China.

Talk about living on past glories... these are an embarrassment!!!

Speaking of Saracen though, I bought an '08 Mantra 3 about six months before the company was reborn. And it's actually pretty good. As good (if not better) spec than other bikes at the time, and it had great reviews back then as well.

But shame on IH's new owners... this looks like another bike brand destined for the scrapyard. You can't rebuild a brand with sh!te like this.
    Cool, retro and sometimes downright rude MTB and cycling themed T shirts. Just MTFU.

By day: http://www.mtfu.co.uk