Leaking Fluid During Elixir R Bleed - Update after re-bleed

myopic
myopic Posts: 692
edited July 2011 in MTB workshop & tech
I have a possible problem with some new Elixir R brakes.

I needed to trim the cables, after which I bled both sets using the Avid Bleed Kit. Front brake went fine, no problems at all. With the rear, I bled the line, then the calliper as per instructions, but when I bled the lever I ran into something which hasn’t happened before. When I started to squeeze and pull the syringe to dislodge bubbles, it sounded like there was a leak in the lever – you could hear things bubbling around in it. I thought that maybe this was just a lot of air so continued. After a few minutes it looked like some fluid was leaking from somewhere on the lever assembly. Next time I squeezed the syringe, there was a sudden release a couple of mls of fluid came running out of the lever assembly. It didn’t come from the bleed port, or where the hydraulic line goes into the assembly. I’m wondering if I had pushed so hard that the fluid had pushed the lever out far enough that fluid could escape around it? I finished the bleed and everything seems fine: the lever feels good, no squishiness and it feels consistent after repeated applications and there are no obvious leaks anywhere. I would just like to understand where all the fluid came from and to know if this is a possible failure waiting to happen!
You don't need eyes to see, you need vision

Comments

• myopic
    Nobody able to help with this question?
  • nicklouse
    nicklouse Posts: 50,675
    it all depends on where it came from.

but as you have been quite on the subject I guess they are working fine so no issue.
    "Do not follow where the path may lead, Go instead where there is no path, and Leave a Trail."
    Parktools :?:SheldonBrown
  • myopic
    Thanks, Nick. Actually been on holiday so no riding :(
    Tried brakes on a ride last night. Initially they were working fine but afcter a few hours the lever is pulling all the way back to the bar. I'm going to re-bleed and hope that will resolve.

Just wondering where to watch for fluid leaking from - can it come out where the lever enters the reservoir? and if it does, does this indicate a problem or is it just I was pushing too hard on syringe when bleeding at the bars?
  • myopic
    Update on bleeding again: problem seems worse!

Bleeding the hose and caliper went OK. Problems started when pushing fluid from the caliper syringe whilst slowing releasing lever. Once lever was fully released, fluid was freely running out from where the lever joins the reservoir on the bars when the caliper syringe was pressed. Continued regardless with lever bleed.

When pulling on the lever syringe, air was freely coming in. When pushing down on the lever syringe, there was resistance, but as soon as the lever was flicked to release bubbles, more fluid came out. In short there seems to be a free flow of air into the syringe from where the lever joins the reservoir (though difficult to be absolute since you can't see in there) when the syrigne is pulled, and free flow of fluid back out when the syringe is squeezed. Don't think this should be happening, should it?

Leaks are definitely not from syringe or bleed port

Put bleed screw back into lever and dried off all excess fluid. On squeezing the lever there doesn''t seem to be any immediate release of fluid, (at least not freely).

Longwinded post I know, but I figured more info better than less!

Anyone any idea what the problem is?
  • nicklouse
    pics.

but yes sounds like something has split.
    "Do not follow where the path may lead, Go instead where there is no path, and Leave a Trail."
  • myopic
    Ok, here's a pic. I've marked the bleed port and the areas where the fluid is coming out from whenever a bleed syringe is connected and pressure is applied. Most seems to come out in the area of the reach adjuster

BrakeLeak.jpg
  • nicklouse
    main seal gone.
  • myopic
    Damn - they are brand new! Back to supplier.... or is it easy to source seal and replace myself?

Thanks for the help, Nick
  • nicklouse
    quite easy. any sram dealer.
  • ricardo_smooth
    ricardo_smooth Posts: 1,281
    i'd send them back if they are new
  • myopic
    Thanks, Nick. Had a look into this on the Sram tech manual and looks easy but there is no main seal - I guess the equivalent would be the piston/bladder assembly.

Would send back if it was a big job, Ricardo, but not if parts are easy to get and job is simple and quick! I'm doing the Selkirk MTB Marathon next week, so want to have things sorted by then

That said, not having much luck tracking down parts! Will explore more options on Monday via Fisher. If it looks hopeless then they will go back to supplier. If it comes to that, hopefully they will be happy just to accept the lever back and I can swap a lever assembly over from another bike while I wait....
  • nicklouse
    http://www.sram.com/sites/default/files ... _rev_a.pdf

service parts 3 which includes the main seals 13

contact the seller re parts they have some but it is most likely be parts to order or call round your LBSs they many have the big Sram service box with the parts in.
  • myopic
    Aah, thanks for that Nick. I had looked up the tech manual and the whole piston/bladder assembly was listed but didn't go into detail about the parts.

If the bladder had a hole in it, would this have the same symptoms, or is it not that kind of bladder? (see p12 http://www.sram.com/sites/default/files ... _final.pdf) -

Don't want to spend time sorting out the seals and discover the problem is somewhere else
  • nicklouse
    makes little difference as they all come as a pack.

if the bladder was holed then it would leak under syringe pressure but not under lever pressure.

not had one in bits so not 100% sure on that.

but i would be replacing all the bits in there.
  • myopic
    Thanks again. I'll post with outcome once resolved.
  • myopic
    Well for anyone who's interested,I sent it back to Merlin who fixed the poroblem and got the brake back to me in time to be fitted for the CRC |Selkirk Marathon tomorrow. Fast turn-around and the problem fixed - thanks to the guys at Merlin for great service, and thanks for explaining the problem Nick.