Gears Slipping

Cycle100
Cycle100 Posts: 16
edited July 2011 in Commuting chat
Anyone know the best way to stop your gears slipping? There must be an easier/cheaper way than getting a service?!

Comments

• nation
    nation Posts: 609
    It's probably just a little bit of cable stretch. Try giving the barrel adjuster on the derailleur a quarter turn (I think anti-clockwise to lengthen the cable path) and see if it stops.
  • cjcp
    cjcp Posts: 13,345
    +1 for cables.

How old is the bike/how many miles has it done? The chain can slip if any of the chainrings, chain or sprockets are worn.
    FCN 2-4.

"What happens when the hammer goes down, kids?"
    "It stays down, Daddy."
    "Exactly."
  • EKE_38BPM
    EKE_38BPM Posts: 5,821
    Don't be like DDD. Learn how to service your bike yourself.

Now, thats trolling!
    FCN 3: Raleigh Record Ace fixie-to be resurrected sometime in the future
    FCN 4: Planet X Schmaffenschmack 2- workhorse
    FCN 9: B Twin Vitamin - winter commuter/loan bike for trainees

I'm hungry. I'm always hungry!
  • Don't fiddle with any screws!

Adjust with barrel adjusters - loads of resources on the web explaining this.

If bike is well used or poorly maintained then chain may have stretched and needs replacing. If this has happens it may also be necessary to replace your cassette. Chain rings typically out last chains and cassettes.
    Nobody told me we had a communication problem
  • bails87
    bails87 Posts: 12,998
    It depends on the cause of the skipping. Is the chain jumping side to side on the cassette or slipping along the cassette/chainring? If the first then adjust cables, if the latter then it could be worn chain/cassette/chainring. Look on park tools website for instructions.
    MTB/CX

"As I said last time, it won't happen again."