Glasgow 100

cush123
cush123 Posts: 75
I am signed up to do the 100 mile route on this Sportive. I am planning to do a reccy ride with a mate this weekend but the route has been removed from the site as it's being reviewed.

Does anyone have a link to the original route? I have tried googling but can't find anything. I'm not bothered that it will change a bit, just trying to get an idea of what to expect.

Comments

• BlueScot
    BlueScot Posts: 68
    A bit late for your run last weekend, but there's still a month to fit a reccy in:
    http://www.mapmyride.com/routes/view/37507196

Please let me know how you get on. I've just signed up for this event as well, even though I spend most weekends around this area anyway. If I was to take a guess, I think the organisers are probably reconsidering a few roads due to the terrible road surfaces (maybe having learned a lesson from the Trossachs Ton). I'm not an expert on the area, someone from the Johnstone Wheelers would be better placed to comment, but there are a few roads I know to be far from ideal:
    from Barochan Road past the golf club to Kilmacolm; Barcraigs reservoir down to Lochwinnoch.

Regardless, it's a nice area to ride. Compared to the north of the city, these roads are really quiet. Here's hoping we have a good day for it!
  • cush123
    Thanks for the mapping. We went and did the bit of the route that I already knew; Bish - G'nock - Largs then cut to Lochwinnoch and back (although we started and finished in Renfrew). It was a nice route mostly on good roads although the decent into Largs wasn't much fun due to all the cr@p on the road. Not sure we'll stop at Nardinis on the day either. :)

It's the bit East and North of Beith that I don't know at all. It certainly looks as though we did the hardest part of the route last Sunday.

Heading off to Hawick tomorrow to reccy part of the Ken Laidlaw Sportive route that we're doing on 21st August.
  • Omar Little
    Omar Little Posts: 2,010
    The descent into Largs is much improved compared to what it was like earlier in the year, the last couple of winters made a right mess of what was one of my favourite stretches of road in the west of Scotland.

I hope for the route amendments the organisers maybe add in going over the old moor road at Fairlie rather than the Haylie Brae climb, decent surface and a much quieter road. (the Haylie is a nice enough climbbut it can get really busy with cars).
  • cush123
    I did a large chunk of this route last Sunday with a couple of mates. The new part of the route from West Kilbride to Dalry is a lot less steep than the hill out of Largs although the road is no where near as good.

Apart from that it's a nice route with a lot of long gradual climbs with the only hard bit being the Old Largs Road out of Greenock where it reaches 16%.

Really looking forward to it and hoping the extra buzz on the day will help me get near 5.5 hours.
  • hilltop
    hilltop Posts: 41
    Yes i'm doing the glasgow 100 and hope every rider,be it the 100 mile or 100k stays safe and has a great days cycling.
    I know some of the course and there are some good climbs,and the scenery is great.
    All the Best.